JTS Improvements - Want More

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
After some careful calculations using satellite view and my naked eye, there would be enough space to fit 2 full fields side by side. You would have to move the current field over next to those bushes/trees and remove the West entrance/steps to fit the other field. Not sure they want to bottleneck that entire side though.

Another option would be to squeeze in 2 fields set end to end, without endzones in the middle. The current field is 180 yards long, counting the endzones. It looks like you could extend another 10 yards in each direction. That would be 200 yards without endzones. They could probably squeeze in 20 more yards bumping up closer to the indoor facility and closer to S1 lot. That would give you 2 full fields with one endzone at each end, the middle of the field would be 0 yard line.

Not even sure how realistic either of those options are, but if you wanted a really tight squeeze, it looks possible to fit 2 fields there.

The ISU equipment Semi has to have a pathway to access the Bergstrom. Not sure how they could do that and expand into the West entrance. I doubt that Western entrance is used my many though so maybe I'm not seeing it correctly

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Are any of the interior spaces completed and being used yet? Like the dining center, locker rooms, offices, academic center etc.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
The ISU equipment Semi has to have a pathway to access the Bergstrom. Not sure how they could do that and expand into the West entrance. I doubt that Western entrance is used my many though so maybe I'm not seeing it correctly
I didn’t even think about the truck access.

Reactions: cyfan92

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
My thoughts on the press box are that it needs to be wider and not as tall. Maybe 1/3 the height but stretching the length of the field. But, there are issues with doing this. First, the press box is down the list of priorities obviously after Hilton and the new parking and P&L area. Second, the concession/restroom buildings are in the way (they are dumb if they didn't put in footings for a new press box when they built). Third, a lot of our suites are between the levels and those in the tower I wonder if there's much added value moving lower, but away from the 50 yard line. Fourth, I wonder if our demand for luxury type seating is maxed out...between the SEZ, Jack Trice Club and the suites in between levels and the tower. You're not really adding suites, just moving them, so the opportunity to increase revenue with a project like this isn't really great.

That said, I really hope they do this project in the next 10 years. Just aesthetically, the current press box looks bad.
A massive Matt Campbell Statue needs built in the middle of the new north walkway entrance before any more money is spent on the stadium.

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
While not used as an entrance much, it certainly is used as an exit. When you couldn't go north from the west gate due to the construction it was an ordeal to get out the north west gate.

Granted now the northwest walkway will be wider than it was during construction which will help the flow.

cysmiley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2012
While not used as an entrance much, it certainly is used as an exit. When you couldn't go north from the west gate due to the construction it was an ordeal to get out the north west gate.

Granted now the northwest walkway will be wider than it was during construction which will help the flow.
Yep; think you raise some additional questions in my mind. Is there room between SPC and new ramp to access a walkway to the west gate. When I used that gate, most of the fans came from the North; although there were some "heavy hitters" S7&S8 parkers who came from the south. This was also a location for the pass gate, where recruits, players friends and family seemed to enter. They used to "lift" ropes to block fans from crossing the path between the Bergstrom door and tunnel entrance, sometimes that worked well, sometimes not as some fans didn't like being held up getting to seats, or tailgate lots on exit' but kids got to high five players! I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted to eliminate that intersection between players and fans, as it really didn't work that well and I believe Big12 has put an emphasis on player safety. Maybe they just allow recruits and heavy hitters access to practice field and create a smaller egress on the west side, and keep players and fans separated better.

Wonder where they will park the visitors equipment truck, as THAT needs to be in a protected area, not that any younger fans would be nefarious, but as with the locker room and band situations from the TOE, we need to document our innocent behavior :rolleyes:

Anyway, will be interesting to see how all plans come together.

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
Yep; think you raise some additional questions in my mind. Is there room between SPC and new ramp to access a walkway to the west gate. When I used that gate, most of the fans came from the North; although there were some "heavy hitters" S7&S8 parkers who came from the south. This was also a location for the pass gate, where recruits, players friends and family seemed to enter. They used to "lift" ropes to block fans from crossing the path between the Bergstrom door and tunnel entrance, sometimes that worked well, sometimes not as some fans didn't like being held up getting to seats, or tailgate lots on exit' but kids got to high five players! I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted to eliminate that intersection between players and fans, as it really didn't work that well and I believe Big12 has put an emphasis on player safety. Maybe they just allow recruits and heavy hitters access to practice field and create a smaller egress on the west side, and keep players and fans separated better.

Wonder where they will park the visitors equipment truck, as THAT needs to be in a protected area, not that any younger fans would be nefarious, but as with the locker room and band situations from the TOE, we need to document our innocent behavior :rolleyes:

Anyway, will be interesting to see how all plans come together.
There is actually a stall for the visiting semi now created east of the Jacobson Bldg in the newly poured walkway up from the field

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
I heard the fields are going to expand south and west. West is replacing the current access road and parking. South I am just not sure how far they go. In between the Bergstrom Bldg and the practice field will be added space for vehicles to pass and that parking that was lost along the back of the practice field will be replaced alongside the old west stadium fenceline and treeline.

Again, not sure how that all looks when done.

Yes, I wish the stupid prairie would go away- if they want one of those, just plant it in the large triangle northeast of the stadium that is usually wetland anyway.

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
I happened to catch two different “styrofoam runs” this morning. The one with what looked like a single block seemed to go one heck of a lot faster than the one with a stack of them.

Maybe he got bored.
HA! That's what we used to call runs back to the keg before plastic Solo cups took over!

Reactions: Aclone

BirdOfWar

May 3, 2010
Central Iowa
"WORK WILL INCLUDE, BUT IS NOT LIMITED TO: REGRADING TO ALLOW EXPANSION OF EXISTING TURF AND PRACTICE FIELD, RELOCATION OF IRRIGATION LINES, RELOCATION OF FENCING AND SODDING OF THE FIELD."

I believe the "expansion" will be around the perimeter of the current surface.

Thanks for the info! Just doesn't seem like there is a ton of space, but harder to tell when you aren't there in person.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Not sure how bad they want to keep that row of bushes/trees along Beach and the current practice field, but if they dug into those, it really gives a lot more space. They have space for 3 full fields if they could utilize all that room. And they keep the West entrance and truck access.

Attachments

• 1CB49DE0-7489-4379-BA4F-5F7CF0FE1E29.jpeg
    1CB49DE0-7489-4379-BA4F-5F7CF0FE1E29.jpeg
    380.9 KB · Views: 114

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
Not sure how bad they want to keep that row of bushes/trees along Beach and the current practice field, but if they dug into those, it really gives a lot more space. They have space for 3 full fields if they could utilize all that room. And they keep the West entrance and truck access.
The new turf and maintenance shop is where your box is on the top left. They had to move it from the basement of the Jacobson building

• Informative
Reactions: cyclonedave25

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
The new turf and maintenance shop is where your box is on the top left. They had to move it from the basement of the Jacobson building
Ah ok, I wasn’t sure how dated that satellite photo was.
But, it does look like they can fit 2 full fields there if they went into that hill along Beach Ave with those trees and bushes.