JTS Improvements - Want More

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
At one time I saw a rendering that showed the hillsides "terraced", and that doubled-up area you mention appears to show the same terracing. I'm wondering now if its maybe for future concrete levels for seating when the NEZ is truly bowled in?

I'd be curious to see a rendering of the terracing

• Agree
Reactions: nrg4isu

cyclone4life

Jun 3, 2009
Ames, Iowa
This may have been discussed somewhere in the first 46 pages but is there any intention to bring the Jack Trice statue back to the stadium when the SPC and north entrance are completed? Or is it staying on campus?

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
This may have been discussed somewhere in the first 46 pages but is there any intention to bring the Jack Trice statue back to the stadium when the SPC and north entrance are completed? Or is it staying on campus?

I know there's a lot of debate over where the statue should go... but couldn't we just have two? One on campus and one at the stadium. Seems like the debate goes away quick and I bet there'd be financial support for a second one given where our nation is at regarding race issues today.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
I liked the Jack Trice stripes idea they had in the previous rendering of the plaza as a way to honor/think about Trice with the statue on campus now.

Reactions: CYTUTT

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa
They had them in earlier, but they cracked. The VB staff posted some pics from inside and there were a couple of panes with tape on them that were cracked. I would guess that they won't replace those pieces of plywood until the weather warms up and there's no more chance of settling.
As someone that is still waiting for replacement windows from Derecho damage last August, I believe that there my be covid related delays as a factor as well.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonsin

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016
As someone that is still waiting for replacement windows from Derecho damage last August, I believe that there my be covid related delays as a factor as well.
The only covid related delays I have heard about is getting employees back to work. Making a lot of unemployment and work on the side.

• Agree
Reactions: 83cy

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
I know there's a lot of debate over where the statue should go... but couldn't we just have two? One on campus and one at the stadium. Seems like the debate goes away quick and I bet there'd be financial support for a second one given where our nation is at regarding race issues today.
There is a very nice tribute to Jack Trice on the east concourse at the top of the stairs at the stadium. Screenshot_20210226-181519_Chrome.jpg

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
I bet that statue remains on campus, but I do like the idea of the stripes “statue”. Either that or give me a large statue of the picture below in the plaza. I’ve always liked that Kinnick Stadium has a large statue of its’ namesake outside of it, so one of Trice would be awesome, especially in the plaza. A4B17EB9-2CAD-4DF6-925F-08FC555F4E58.jpeg

Reactions: CYTUTT and bozclone

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
When I was a student (circa 1988), I always thought it looked like 1968 in Beyer.
After reading the thread about Beyer, I decided to do Google street view. I was absolutely astonished at the transition of all of the buildings on that side of campus. My sophomore year, the Design Center opened. To which, as an Architecture student, I felt it was an incredible blessing. That said, one thing I found incredibly disturbing is that 'Computer Science' (my other degree) (for the University holding the title of where the 'digital computer' was invented) is spread across two buildings which were obsolete when I went there. Does anyone have any insight on when/if the University will build a proper respectable home for this degree?

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014

I moved it to campus and installed it. It's in it's final resting place. Was told that Jack trice is so important to isu they want him on central campus.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
After reading the thread about Beyer, I decided to do Google street view. I was absolutely astonished at the transition of all of the buildings on that side of campus. My sophomore year, the Design Center opened. To which, as an Architecture student, I felt it was an incredible blessing. That said, one thing I found incredibly disturbing is that 'Computer Science' (my other degree) (for the University holding the title of where the 'digital computer' was invented) is spread across two buildings which were obsolete when I went there. Does anyone have any insight on when/if the University will build a proper respectable home for this degree?
I’m probably wrong, but it was my impression this was that “new home”.

Good heavens, is 1989 really that long ago? I’m old!

• Agree
Reactions: TXCyclones

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
I'd like to see a 10 foot tall bronze of Jack Trice, on an elevated pedestal, surrounded by mounds of cardinal and gold mums, lit up at night. And if you get up close and take a look, you will see a crushed hok under one of his cleats, and a crushed gopher under the other. And if I win the powerball drawing tonight, I guarantee this will happen.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I’m probably wrong, but it was my impression this was that “new home”.

Good heavens, is 1989 really that long ago? I’m old!

Thanks!! Great info. Seems like a resource sharing entity, more so than an instructional entity. Regardless, step in the right direction.

Much of my degree overlapped with CompSci so most of my classes were co-coded with Comp Sci. There's 5 total computer-esque degrees at ISU and then another weird one out there called Computational Biology

Computer Science
Software Engineering
Computer Engineering
Management Information Systems (And Business Analytics for Masters)
Data Science

Durham is the Office of the CIO and the actual "IT Department" of the university. There are hardly any classes in there at all if any. It's mostly offices for the IT department and any extra space from the surrounding buildings.

1614463470727.png

Computer Science has had a building since 1969 called Atanasoff Hall which is right next to Durham and across the side walk from Coover. There's also some offices and a few classes in Pearson.

1614463488254.png

Coover is the home of Computer Engineering and they mostly live in the early 2000s extension of Coover which is also the Electrical Engineering building

1614463512273.png

Software Engineering is a weird one since it is both a LAS and Engineering sponsored degree, I think most of the offices are in Coover but the students go between Coover and Atanasoff. This is one of the fastest growing degrees at Iowa State and it's a very good program. I imagine if there's room for a building, they'll get one soon or maybe a redo of Atanasoff with Comp Sci, Comp Eng, and Soft Eng all in one building.

Management Information Systems lives in Gerdin since it's a business major first but since most of the actual degree classes are co-coded with Computer Science there's a lot of intermingling.

1614463549190.png

Data Science is brand new and is really without a home. I believe the offices of the few professors are in Catt but their classes are spread out far and wide. It's only a few years old.

Computational Biology lives in Snedecor alongside Statistics.

1614463428856.png

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Much of my degree overlapped with CompSci so most of my classes were co-coded with Comp Sci. There's 5 total computer-esque degrees at ISU and then another weird one out there called Computational Biology

Computer Science
Software Engineering
Computer Engineering
Management Information Systems (And Business Analytics for Masters)
Data Science

Durham is the Office of the CIO and the actual "IT Department" of the university. There are hardly any classes in there at all if any. It's mostly offices for the IT department and any extra space from the surrounding buildings.

View attachment 82280

Computer Science has had a building since 1969 called Atanasoff Hall which is right next to Durham and across the side walk from Coover. There's also some offices and a few classes in Pearson.

View attachment 82281

Coover is the home of Computer Engineering and they mostly live in the early 2000s extension of Coover which is also the Electrical Engineering building

View attachment 82282

Software Engineering is a weird one since it is both a LAS and Engineering sponsored degree, I think most of the offices are in Coover but the students go between Coover and Atanasoff. This is one of the fastest growing degrees at Iowa State and it's a very good program. I imagine if there's room for a building, they'll get one soon or maybe a redo of Atanasoff with Comp Sci, Comp Eng, and Soft Eng all in one building.

Management Information Systems lives in Gerdin since it's a business major first but since most of the actual degree classes are co-coded with Computer Science there's a lot of intermingling.

View attachment 82283

Data Science is brand new and is really without a home. I believe the offices of the few professors are in Catt but their classes are spread out far and wide. It's only a few years old.

Computational Biology lives in Snedecor alongside Statistics.

View attachment 82279
Wow! This was a great explanation. As imagined, 'computer related' studies are spread across the specific disciplines with a strong core for supporting those studies. There are so many areas I see the need for better development (eg AI security, AI branding, video water marking, licensing, facial, aeronautical and space management, supply chain pricing/distribution, better 3d modeling/printing, better climate modeling/forecasting, better electoral systems, much better eco modeling, and much much better media integrity modeling). I hope ISU has administrative visionaries in the advancement of these and more.