JTS Improvements - Want More

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006
practice fields are nearing completion and close to having the surface applied
Anyone have updates/pictures of the practice fields site work? Realize the practice fields are completely hidden from street view which likely explains the lack of progress updates.

Reactions: dafarmer

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
See the bridge sections are being prepped on the inside two lanes of University (Elwood). Installing new stoplights on South 4th and University to.

Reactions: Aclone

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I imagine people in those grass lots are going to love that ped bridge. You can just walk straight past the RVs and on to the big bridge and right into the stadium. The only thing that I'd worry about is that that east gate is going to have a pretty big line waiting to get in. Pretty much everyone from the RV lots, the grass lots along S. 16th, Vet Med, plus the people in the S lots east of the stadium. Not sure if Haunted Forest will still cross at S. 4th and whether the students will walk down to the bridge or cross at S. 16th.
I will still walk to the corner of University blvd from the grass lots. It really doesn't make sense to walk all the way to the east gate via the new bridge.

Reactions: Aclone

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I will still walk to the corner of University blvd from the grass lots. It really doesn't make sense to walk all the way to the east gate via the new bridge.
I don't know...if you are in the grass lots along S. 16th, I think it would make a ton of sense unless you are going into the south gate of JTS. Probably depends mostly on where you are sitting in JTS and what kind of line of people are waiting to get in the east gate. Since students are moving to the SE corner, it would make sense to just cross University and hit the south gate. Now after the game is a different matter. I think a ton of people will use the bridge after the game just to avoid having to sit at that stoplight.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I don't know...if you are in the grass lots along S. 16th, I think it would make a ton of sense unless you are going into the south gate of JTS. Probably depends mostly on where you are sitting in JTS and what kind of line of people are waiting to get in the east gate. Since students are moving to the SE corner, it would make sense to just cross University and hit the south gate. Now after the game is a different matter. I think a ton of people will use the bridge after the game just to avoid having to sit at that stoplight.
Post game yes, I wouldn't rule out leaving the stadium via the ped bridge.

SayMyName

Jan 28, 2017
ABQ
I wouldn't necessarily count on this as an option. I think they're gonna force the majority of foot traffic to use the bridge, and minimize or nearly eliminate pedestrian crossing options across University (ahem: Elwood) at grade.

Reactions: nrg4isu and Aclone

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I wouldn't necessarily count on this as an option. I think they're gonna force the majority of foot traffic to use the bridge, and minimize or nearly eliminate pedestrian crossing options across University (ahem: Elwood) at grade.
If they do, they are going to have a lot of unhappy students and doners that tailgate to the South and Vet Med.

• Agree
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
If they do, they are going to have a lot of unhappy students and doners that tailgate to the South and Vet Med.
They’re trying to maximize traffic flow and safety, and minimize accidents—especially with pedestrians.

I was assuming that’s why there is a walking path and fence along the east side of Elwoo—, er, University, in the plans.

Admittedly, I’m a mite bit hazy on that part.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Post game yes, I wouldn't rule out leaving the stadium via the ped bridge.
Yeah, major difference between pregame and postgame. Pregame, the car traffic isn't terrible and people are going in over a longer period of time. Postgame, a majority of people are leaving at the same time and car traffic is a lot worse. If I were parked anywhere other than the S lots or between JTS and Hilton, I'd be taking the bridge. It's super annoying having to sit at that stop light forever waiting to cross.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
I'd love that! Too expensive?
No. Definitely not too expensive. There are GPS based drones all over. I've floated the idea past JP to which he expressed excitement. But, I'm assuming his time is too valuable to apply to this and, thus 'delegating' it would make it too expensive. Time for one of you bright young engineers to step to the plate, get the drone, stream the video to a web page with a marque advertising bar (so the page makes money for the AD). I'm full of ideas, but not enough time to make them happen.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
They’re trying to maximize traffic flow and safety, and minimize accidents—especially with pedestrians.

I was assuming that’s why there is a walking path and fence along the east side of Elwoo—, er, University, in the plans.

Admittedly, I’m a mite bit hazy on that part.
They will still utilize that intersection as a crossing point. The bridge will help stop people from walking across University Blvd. going back towards the west. There is still a ton of grass parking south of the stadium along University blvd, they aren't going to make those people walk an extra mile just to get to the stadium.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
I bet they will have plenty of video maybe drone footage when they are actually lifting the bridge into place. Should be pretty cool to see.