Jay Jordan -- Light me up

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

JJIII

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 24, 2017
Do you not see Purdy having a chance based on his size?
Not size, just need a larger body of work. He doesn’t fit the prototype, so he has to do more to get a shot.

Stanley at Iowa fits the prototype and draws buzz even with a below 60% completion percentage and lesser yards per attempt. Purdy completes at 65% with a top 5 yards per attempt, but because he is mobile and doesn’t look like the person in the manual, he will need to do more to be viable.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
Not size, just need a larger body of work. He doesn’t fit the prototype, so he has to do more to get a shot.

Stanley at Iowa fits the prototype and draws buzz even with a below 60% completion percentage and lesser yards per attempt. Purdy completes at 65% with a top 5 yards per attempt, but because he is mobile and doesn’t look like the person in the manual, he will need to do more to be viable.

Which really doesn't make any sense but the NFL still loves that prototype package of big body, big arm. We've seen them start to push away from that recently, however. We're starting to see more QB's like Brock succeed in the. NFL so that could help his chances down the road, too.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I don't think height matters much anymore. The last 2 #1 picks were 6ft or under.
They were Heisman trophy winners as well. You better be damned good if you aren't the right size. It may not matter as much, but it still matters. A lot of front offices are worried that they make the safe pick because if it doesn't pan out and they went outside the box they will be burned by it.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Which really doesn't make any sense but the NFL still loves that prototype package of big body, big arm. We've seen them start to push away from that recently, however. We're starting to see more QB's like Brock succeed in the. NFL so that could help his chances down the road, too.
If Murray makes it I think the stigma will be dead.

That would be Wilson, Brees, Mahomes, Mayfield, Murray. All 'smaller' qb at high level performance.

Last edited:

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Murray has a lot going for him despite his height. Brock is nowhere near the athlete Murray is and Murray has a better arm.

• Agree

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
They were Heisman trophy winners as well. You better be damned good if you aren't the right size. It may not matter as much, but it still matters. A lot of front offices are worried that they make the safe pick because if it doesn't pan out and they went outside the box they will be burned by it.

Having really strong baseball skills helps too like R. Wilson.

• Agree

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
I hope we see some Toledo style 4-2-5 with Johnson in there. I am a Limanatic, but Jamahl Johnson is a disrupter array (see Star Trek) and will have a long pro career.

I have been calling for the TE to be a focal point for three years, but to the extent it will be, it will be this year. We saw an evolution of the offense to the F and TE in the Alamo Bowl, see upcoming article.

However, at Toledo, the Campbell group had two stud tight ends, one of whom is still in the league. The caught just less than 50 passes, but were instrumental in the running game which involved Kareem Hunt. I think similar production is expected here with a 50 to 75 catch expectation for the F and TE group as a whole.

No, I would not run any Iowa play ever.
Do you anticipate a lot of 13 (H as a TE) and 22 formations being that we have such a diverse skill set for both the RB and TE positions? I could see a lot of all 3 TE's with Soehner at the H giving us a crazy versatile offense, that can run heavy, or split you out and do both.

If the H and TE group shows they are ready, 13 and 22 will be used often until the defense shows they can stop it. Just my humble Midwest opinion.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Man, formations are hard to predict with this group because they love motion so much. I think you will see the F deployed in different ways. Where Seonbuchner was an additional lineman, I think you will see Soehner in more of a pass threat position, the traditional wing. I think they will still have 3 wide most plays, and maybe more 4 wide, but who those wides are is a mystery. You will see the TE's split more than in the past for both blocking and receiving purposes.

On defense, I wonder the same thing. With the depth at d-line, there may be more four man fronts than in the past. The question is how confident are they in coverage behind it. The four man front removes some of the deception with regard to pressure packages and coverage switches. However, if, like TCU, you can create pressure with 4, and I think they should with Bailey and Enyi, then you can afford to compromise the max coverage.

It will be interesting to see. I think against UNI and Iowa they will play more 4 man front than we have seen in the past two years. Then Baylor and TCU will get a heavy dose of the three man front we have become accustomed to. It will be game to game from there.

I would disagree here a little. I think you show no change at all in the UNI game. Come out and play similar to last years 3 man front. Give Iowa and maybe Baylor no indication of anything else. Then switch it up to the 4-man front for Iowa. Then Big XII teams have no idea which we are doing and have to prepare for both.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneVet

JJIII

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 24, 2017
@JJIII

I appreciate your football knowledge. What are your thoughts on the fall line at https://www.jjill.com/ ?
I find the colors a bit drab. Why do we try to blend in to our surrounding during the seasons, spring is the only one that makes sense. Bright colors offset against the drab fall and winter background, match the majestic leaves changing and go against convention.

I will wear black all the time, but everyone else needs to brighten up.

Also, the tight pants long loose top is tired. Tighten it up and show your form.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I find the colors a bit drab. Why do we try to blend in to our surrounding during the seasons, spring is the only one that makes sense. Bright colors offset against the drab fall and winter background, match the majestic leaves changing and go against convention.

I will wear black all the time, but everyone else needs to brighten up.

Also, the tight pants long loose top is tired. Tighten it up and show your form.

Very informative. I wouldn't expect anything less. Thanks.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Another great topic and I have pissed away an afternoon of work.

This is my thought on potential NFL talent on the roster. No idea how the NFL will evaluate them, but there are currently 22 players from Toledo competing for roster spots. The league respects Coach Campbell and there will be consistent interest in the coming years. I will probably forget some and over rate some.

First/Second day
Kolar
McDonald
Rose

Third Day
Lima
Eisworth
Downing
Knipfel
Johnson
Enyi
JaQuan
Milton
Allen

Free agent
JGJ
Newell
Jamahl
Deshaunte
Spears

Maybe
Vance —could see a flyer
Kene — as a returner
Leo — will test well and could get a tryout.

That is a lot of dudes. But based on the talent profile and the fact that Harvey, Payne, and Eaton are getting looks and Campos has survived on the practice squad for a year, I think these guys fit.

Lima has great value because he is at a discounted position. Kolar, McDonald play sexy positions, and Rose is just that good.

Jay, the only reason you got the funny emoji was for the comment about pissing away a afternoon at work. Thanks for sharing your insight with us.

• Optimistic
Reactions: CloneinWDSM