Jay Jordan -- Light me up

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
This is easily the best football-related thread.

Kind of wishing it would have been put together about 3 days before 8/31 because this only adds the kool-aid.

Good read on the article too. It's to a point where it's hard to keep track of ISU's legit players and I really don't think that's ever been the case.

JJIII

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 24, 2017
This is easily the best football-related thread.

Kind of wishing it would have been put together about 3 days before 8/31 because this only adds the kool-aid.

Good read on the article too. It's to a point where it's hard to keep track of ISU's legit players and I really don't think that's ever been the case.
Thanks.

It is kind of uncomfortable being a fan of this team at this time. There is way too much “legitness” and it feels more like being a fan of some of the other teams I follow closely.

It is like when you bought an iron on patch for your t shirt and put it on. It looked cool, but was kind of itchy and bulky on the first wearing.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Oh, another thing: any new thoughts or ideas on how the OL is progressing? I feel like this is our primary region for concern and limiting factor of the team achieving more; are there other glaring weaknesses on the team that I'm not seeing?

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
How do we get this guy open in the seems?

Who can guard him and Kolar with the combination of speed and size when you have to honor them as run blockers? Should we expect an offense like how ToE used Hock and Fant in 2018?

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Interesting. There haven’t been many wood laying opportunities. But, given the many humorous usages available for the word “wood” including Jeff Wood-y...as Pedro said, I would like to see more of that.

Hard to say with regard to UNI, but it is possible that the second team plays and is almost as good as the first, so it may not be easy to keep it in the box. That is the kind of performance I am looking for.

But, I do know that if the opportunity to lay wood happens against Baylor you should get your calculator ready.

A Baylor beat down would be epic.

Malone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 7, 2010
Des Moines
Looking ahead, we lose a ton of experience from the D-line after this season. What have you heard, if anything, about the progression of the young guys? At first glance, there's a nice cupboard of d-end talent with Suttle, Peterson, Petersen. But we haven't heard much about Robertson, Lee, etc. Also curious about Cordarrius Bailey's progression.

It seems that without a Lima-level guy in the middle, our scheme may need to go through a big change.

It's a shame we weren't able to redshirt Jamahl Johnson.

Reactions: madguy30

JJIII

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 24, 2017
Looking ahead, we lose a ton of experience from the D-line after this season. What have you heard, if anything, about the progression of the young guys? At first glance, there's a nice cupboard of d-end talent with Suttle, Peterson, Petersen. But we haven't heard much about Robertson, Lee, etc. Also curious about Cordarrius Bailey's progression.

It seems that without a Lima-level guy in the middle, our scheme may need to go through a big change.

It's a shame we weren't able to redshirt Jamahl Johnson.
Agree about Jamal Johnson. Really impactful player.

I have not heard much about Cordarrius Bailey and am frankly surprised by that.

The others will be rotational players this year and we will get a look at what that potential is.

You are right. The talent may be solid, but it will be different and that often results in a scheme adjust. There is a bit more athleticism behind the familiar faces and that could allow for a continued progression from that unit. Either way, I think you will see measurable snaps for those you mention and they will have chances to make plays.

convoluteme

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 29, 2019
But, I do know that if the opportunity to lay wood happens against Baylor you should get your calculator ready.

I feel like this is hinting at something. Is Campbell not very fond of Baylor?

JJIII

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 24, 2017
How do we get this guy open in the seems?

Who can guard him and Kolar with the combination of speed and size when you have to honor them as run blockers? Should we expect an offense like how ToE used Hock and Fant in 2018?

To get to the seam you run to the same, now where he runs tonit from is the mystery.

Those guys are problem matchups. The top safeties can cover them at OU and Texas and TCU does a nice job covering with their LB’s. But, there will be opportunities for them to make plays.

The Iowa offense is structurally different than ISU’s. It will look distinctly ISU and I am not sure if they will be quite as prominent. But, as I stated in the article today, I expect them to stretch the field more than you would ordinarily see a tight end do.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Jay,

How do you think Campbell will make his decision about starting running back? I think it will simply be who didn't fumble in practice!

JJIII

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 24, 2017
I feel like this is hinting at something. Is Campbell not very fond of Baylor?
The question was in the context of coach running it up on someone. So, that is how it is interpreted, but I have no knowledge of how Coach Campbell feels about Baylor. I just thought if he were to run up the score on anyone, it would be them because their crap baited his best player in to getting suspended for the biggest game of the year.

• Agree
Reactions: Cycsk

convoluteme

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 29, 2019
The question was in the context of coach running it up on someone. So, that is how it is interpreted, but I have no knowledge of how Coach Campbell feels about Baylor. I just thought if he were to run up the score on anyone, it would be them because their crap baited his best player in to getting suspended for the biggest game of the year.

Thanks, Jay. I've gotten so used to close scoring games I wasn't sure if Campbell would run up the score. But then I remembered 66-10 against Tech in 2016.

• Winner
Reactions: Aclone

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Over under TD's for TE this year, is 10 too high in your opinion? As a side note, do you see us lining up in double TE formations and shifting say Allen and Kolar to the flats to try and create mismatches against opposing LB's?
@JJIII

JJIII

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 24, 2017
Jay,

How do you think Campbell will make his decision about starting running back? I think it will simply be who didn't fumble in practice!
Hahahaha...that is high on the list I guarantee.

I think it will largely revolve around a balance between trust in blitz pick up and assignments and dynamic running ability. You lean to the older guys and Croney in particular, but if there is a more dynamic runner who is hitting the trust level in assignment and protection, then that guy is going to primary.

I think the RB narrative should center around primary play maker versus starter. There may emerge a primary inside runner, a primary outside runner, and a primary protection/pass catcher. Or, they may all be Breece Hall.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Thanks.

It is kind of uncomfortable being a fan of this team at this time. There is way too much “legitness” and it feels more like being a fan of some of the other teams I follow closely.

It is like when you bought an iron on patch for your t shirt and put it on. It looked cool, but was kind of itchy and bulky on the first wearing.
What blows my mind is that each year we've added some "surprise" freshmen to that mix of legit players. Last year it was Rose and Purdy. Who is going to step up this year and add to the legitness (if there even is such a word)?