Jalynn Bristow Transferring

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I wouldn't have been surprised about this if I had heard it several weeks ago. She didn't seemed thrilled here, and I think she wanted to play more probably.

It did surprise me though somewhat after watching the CF interview with Crooks and JB after the Stanford game. JB says something about how they are only going to be getting better playing together for the next 3 years... or something like that. So this announcement did surprise me after hearing her say that. But whatever. Grass is always greener on the other side.... until it isn't. Just ask Denae Fritz. Other teams might be promising you the world to transfer there... and then you play a lot less minutes there than you were before.

I wish her luck though. She represented ISU well.

AlCyJim

Aug 11, 2022
You need to read your own posts. Lack of innovation? He’s played more varying defensive alignments than I’ve seen ever. The offense has far more motion to it. Do you understand why Ryan sometimes is dribbling? Do you really know that Brown moving into a double team was drawn up in the huddle? Wow….
with his complaining about the out of bounds play not working maybe it was drawn up to work and the people trying to run it did not do it right. Not all the plays work right and you need to think maybe the other team had something to do with the play not working.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
I'm extremely disappointed but not surprised. Former Texas 3A Player of the Year and Top 50 Recruit on nearly every scouting service in the Class of 2023, but the "experts" on this board are good with Jalynn Bristow's departure.

The point of fielding a team is to win conference titles, preferably of the regular season variety, then make a deep run into the NCAA Tournament. We win lots of games (600+ in 29 seasons) but the big prizes regularly elude us (1 shared regular season title > 20 years ago, 0 Final Fours, ever). Meanwhile, Lisa Bluder makes a NCAA Championship Game and follows that up with a NCAA #1 Seed, while Jennie B leaves Drake and wins two Big XII Regular season titles (one outright) in three years at OU. I'm weary of the disappointment and I'm out on an extended leave of absence. I won't let the door hit me in the @ss.

Cymark86

Dec 2, 2023
I'm extremely disappointed but not surprised. Former Texas 3A Player of the Year and Top 50 Recruit on nearly every scouting service in the Class of 2023, but the "experts" on this board are good with Jalynn Bristow's departure.

The point of fielding a team is to win conference titles, preferably of the regular season variety, then make a deep run into the NCAA Tournament. We win lots of games (600+ in 29 seasons) but the big prizes regularly elude us (1 shared regular season title > 20 years ago, 0 Final Fours, ever). Meanwhile, Lisa Bluder makes a NCAA Championship Game and follows that up with a NCAA #1 Seed, while Jennie B leaves Drake and wins two Big XII Regular season titles (one outright) in three years at OU. I'm weary of the disappointment and I'm out on an extended leave of absence. I won't let the door hit me in the @ss.
You can still support the program ( and the coaching staff) and point out their flaws. I mean , the posting about ball movement is spot on. Not sure how anyone can refute that.

Players want freedom. In our program, some seem to get much more than others. Perhaps that’s a product of what they (coaches) see in practice. I do know that Bristows athleticism doesn’t come around here to often.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006

Sad to see Jalynn go. Hope she finds what she is looking for.

swclone11

Feb 17, 2024

I thought Bristow was a good player as much as anyone and I'm as disappointed as anyone to see her go...but. She has to do what she wants, and it sounds like she's homesick and wants more playing time. I think she would've gotten more next year, but I don't know outside of a few minutes here and there in games where she was more 'on', I don't know if she was the answer this year. She's a good player and I think will do well, but there were a not-insignificant amount of times where she looked out of sorts on defense and sometimes just not prepared at all. That'll improve with time. I wish that time was at ISU, but sometimes that's not in the cards.

But your comment just smacks of not realizing that things have changed. I don't think board "experts" are good with her departure, but I think everyone understands that it's almost impossible nowadays to keep an entire team together from one season to the next when you're a school the size of Iowa State. Things are clearly on the up for next year (barring any more departures and I'll eat my words), and I'm not going to let one transfer completely pop that bubble. Audi, Addy, Emily and the rest deserve our support and trust after their effort this year. I'm excited to see how our new recruits like Alisa Williams and Aili Tanke fit in with our core squad.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Hilton Magic needs to translate into Portal Magic now. We need another big forward for 2024-25-a tall order. I will no longer believe ANY player is staying and feel lucky for a semblance of a team after the migration season. More to come?

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA

You were pounding this same stuff last year with the departures. Do we know Bill asked her to leave? Maybe she wanted to leave. Let's see where she ends up. If Texas, homesick may be a factor. You never want to lose a player we see potential in but in today's game we will unless you are a top 10 even top 5 team in the Women's game transfers will happen. Hell we have a girl who we hope is a good addition from LSU, we have had a Transfer from Tennesee, it happens to even the best, will only happen more. Maybe we have some girls transferring in, maybe they will replace the talent that left. But you like the others are real quick to only blame CBF, when we have no clue.

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
You were pounding this same stuff last year with the departures. Do we know Bill asked her to leave? Maybe she wanted to leave. Let's see where she ends up. If Texas, homesick may be a factor. You never want to lose a player we see potential in but in today's game we will unless you are a top 10 even top 5 team in the Women's game transfers will happen. Hell we have a girl who we hope is a good addition from LSU, we have had a Transfer from Tennesee, it happens to even the best, will only happen more. Maybe we have some girls transferring in, maybe they will replace the talent that left. But you like the others are real quick to only blame CBF, when we have no clue.
Well, if anything, we know this poster is consistent. Sky is falling, again.

CYclist

Mar 17, 2006
by levers you mean drop zone letting any team shoot at will and hope they miss. By levers, dribble for 20 secs and then shockingly pass to Crooks. By levers, have Brown post up who has no post game, and try to create. By levers, not use versatile guards and forwards on the roster but repeatedly go to the worst defenders and worst lineup combos. By levers manning up and drubbing the opponent, but this only last 2 mins.. every 3 games in the season at most. Yeah... he pulled levers all right. The talent leaving is not being recruited over, they are never used even when on the floor. It's just sad there are people shrugging their shoulders thinking losing the best talent on the roster is expected. In terms of upside Crooks > Bristow > Brown, but Bristow will get there earlier.
Many years ago, I was crazy active on sports message boards. Then I quit. Every once in awhile I come back to read some comments on important games or items like this. Yes, I wish Bristow was staying, but idiotic posts like this remind me why I don't bother any more. There are people spouting DUMB. People with a grudge over something, that know nothing, but scream it out any way. Thanks for reminding me.

For me, I'm going to trust the coaches of our major sports to pull this all together and I'm going to renew season tickets. Might even scream a little louder at the WBB games next year just to drown out the garbage post above.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Every program loses talent. Let's be honest. You all but admitted you are not a BF fan, think things can be better. That ok, just don't be suprised when folks disagree with you. 29 years, 600 plus wins, one of the winningest active coaches in the game. I'll choose to support the team and coaches we have.

3 or 4 (?) Yrs ago I was sort of wondering if Bill's best yrs were behind him then his recruiting picked back up. And this yr things really picked back up. I'm hoping he stays until this yrs freshman graduate.

swclone11

Feb 17, 2024
Kind of out of place, but I wanted to add in to my post above: Arianna Jackson is going to be critical to the program's success in the next few years, nearly as much as Audi or Addy. Her impact this year was huge, even if understated. I'd bet that by next year this time, we have a very potent triple threat with those 3.

jspeels

May 14, 2022
She came here with 4 other freshman and at the time she committed we were still bringing back Lexi and Denae…she knew the coaches, style, etc…sometimes it doesn’t work and it’s not just one persons fault. It happens..and it happens more and more in this day and age. Wish her well! And Iowa state will be just fine…man…this board can be ridiculous…well..just the constant negativity and placing blame on every coach!! Maybe they should message CBF with some of their suggestions…I’m sure he would appreciate the input after having a season like they just had!!

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
100% agree. She was something we don’t have with regard to athleticism and yet provided little wiggle room for mistakes. Hard to grow in that situation.

Look, Bill is the coach and has had some success, but it’s clearly his way or the highway. And I think that has hindered taking the program to the next level in some instances.

LOL show me any coach with a program worth a hoot and it is their way or the highway. Except for Bluder and C.C. Geno,Kim, Summit, Vandeveer all run tight ships.
Think Tj is going to give playing time to someone who doesn't play D. LOL.
Bill and his staff have shown more adaptability this yr than in the past.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Sometimes I hate how this website works…seems lately it just refreshes out of the blue no matter what you are doing. So, I’ll try to rewrite the entire post i was working on….

I don’t know of any ”experts” on here that are happy with her leaving. As I've said before, I saw her as incredibly talented/gifted athlete. Perhaps one of the most gifted on the team. But she was raw. We all could see her upside (Stanford game) and her struggles (Texas). When she was on it just made me smile. I felt like she was the one person on the team that would show the most improvement from year 1 to 2. Appropriately, I also felt she would earn much more playing time. Her comments at the end of the season also seemed to indicate she was all in. Sadly, this wasn't true and we won't get to see her develop first hand. Whoever gets her will be getting a gifted athlete in need of coaching (duh) to reach her potential.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I'm disappointed she's moving on but in this day and age, I don't worry about it. Kids come and go. Hope she ends up where she is happy but not in the B12.

• Agree
Reactions: WartburgClone

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Sometimes I hate how this website works…seems lately it just refreshes out of the blue no matter what you are doing. So, I’ll try to rewrite the entire post i was working on….

I don’t know of any ”experts” on here that are happy with her leaving. As I've said before, I saw her as incredibly talented/gifted athlete. Perhaps one of the most gifted on the team. But she was raw. We all could see her upside (Stanford game) and her struggles (Texas). When she was on it just made me smile. I felt like she was the one person on the team that would show the most improvement from year 1 to 2. Appropriately, I also felt she would earn much more playing time. Her comments at the end of the season also seemed to indicate she was all in. Sadly, this wasn't true and we won't get to see her develop first hand. Whoever gets her will be getting a gifted athlete in need of coaching (duh) to reach her potential.
Well said, acoustimac. Jalynn has all the tools needed to be extraordinary. She was homesick. Her playing time was less than she wanted. Jalynn was frustrated and challenged by big-time NCAA bb culture and maybe college itself. It is a mutual loss as we would have a pretty good team with her, and wherever she goes she will be a gift. Damn it.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
Hate to see this. She is a very versatile player and showed a lot of potential. BF just didn't give her enough minutes. Watch, she'll end up on another Big 12 team, probably in Texas.