ISU's problem

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Take a look at ISU's offensive statistics through 11 games, not good compared to the rest of the conference. College Football - Statistics by Team - Rivals.com

I can understand the defensive #'s not being great but not the offense. ISU has a left tackle that could be in the NFL next season. Lamaak could be an NFL free agent. Colin Franklin will get some time in the NFL and AROB has outside hope in the NFL. There is talent on this offense, why is it so bad? Do the players not understand what they are to do? Poor play calling? Poor execution? Are we easy to defend? Are there some football smarts lacking on the offensive side of the ball? What is the answer? Is Herman gone after next season without significant improvement? Take away the pick 6's and special teams TD's and the PPG are under 20 which is not real good.

pyrocyz

Jun 2, 2006
Ames
We never look to go vertical with the passing game. Thats why our offense is so bad. All we do is run the ball and throw 5-10 yard routes.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Having good players means nothing if they don't fit the system you want to run. Receivers are subpar, quarterback is average. Not a formula for success in this offense. I have a feeling Herman gets 4 years just to give him one full class of his own kids.

Throw in our quarterback and running back having nagging injuries all year, and you have a big issue.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Inconsistent line play has been our biggest problem. When our line controls the line of scrimmage, we do fine. When our line gets beat, we can't do anything.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Inconsistent line play has been our biggest problem. When our line controls the line of scrimmage, we do fine. When our line gets beat, we can't do anything.

I think that the receivers lack to speed to offset that.

Basically, our offense overall has to have everything clicking to do well. If one part has a hiccup, we're in a whole lot of trouble.

But, yeah, you can't count on the OL to show up consistently, and that's just brutal. So different from last year in that regard. Maybe Reggie Stephens was even more of an asset than we thought? (And I know people have brought him up a lot, but maybe we're really, really, really, really seeing what a stabilizing force he was.)

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I've been wondering if Herman has been more conservative with the offense than he would be if he had a more "talented" (for lack of a better term) squad. It's got to be tough being the second or third offensive coordinator this offense has seen, so maybe the playcalling has been more simplistic this season in hopes that in year three more advanced formations and play-calls will be used - at least I hope this is the case. There have been some definite flashes of brilliance this season that make me believe that Herman has what it takes to coach in the Big 12/10.

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010
Take a look at ISU's offensive statistics through 11 games, not good compared to the rest of the conference.

Were they really good through 10 games??? This is a season-long thing, it didn't just flare up in game 11.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Question for everyone, did Herman really have more talent at Houston then at ISU?

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Take a look at ISU's offensive statistics through 11 games, not good compared to the rest of the conference. College Football - Statistics by Team - Rivals.com

I can understand the defensive #'s not being great but not the offense. ISU has a left tackle that could be in the NFL next season. Lamaak could be an NFL free agent. Colin Franklin will get some time in the NFL and AROB has outside hope in the NFL. There is talent on this offense, why is it so bad? Do the players not understand what they are to do? Poor play calling? Poor execution? Are we easy to defend? Are there some football smarts lacking on the offensive side of the ball? What is the answer? Is Herman gone after next season without significant improvement? Take away the pick 6's and special teams TD's and the PPG are under 20 which is not real good.

I would not draft KO right now. He struggles on any sort of inside out rush. His upside is tremendous and I expect him to be very good next year but I don't see it right now. Collin Frankin would be drafted. ARob may get looks. Lamaak will be borderline. There is little talent on the perimeter and AA is not all that great. You cannot be one dimensional. with the limited talent we have, we need a great QB. Look at Nevada. I don't think their receivers are all that good but their QB is pretty damn good so they don't have to be as good.

We never look to go vertical with the passing game. Thats why our offense is so bad. All we do is run the ball and throw 5-10 yard routes.

You can't go deep if you don't have the protection to do it.

sogocat

Nov 15, 2009
football is simple, to be good you have to be able to run the ball and you have to be able to stop the run

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
football is simple, to be good you have to be able to run the ball and you have to be able to stop the run

It's even simpler than that - own the trenches. If your O-Line owns the opponent's D-Line, you can both run and pass. If your D-Line owns the opponent's O-Line, your opponent will neither be able to run nor pass on you.

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
I think the jury's still out on Herman. There's a lot of talk of "wait until he gets the players he needs." Then someone says "what we have doesn't fit his system." So what does fit his system? Super fast receivers, strong armed think on your feet qbs, big strong fast linemen, a great one two combo at back etc etc. In other words, the same kinds of upgrades that every team wants. The problem is that ISU won't be getting significantly better players until it fields winning teams. If Herman can't do more with less, then we're in a classic Catch-22.

I've been wondering if Herman has been more conservative with the offense than he would be if he had a more "talented" (for lack of a better term) squad. It's got to be tough being the second or third offensive coordinator this offense has seen, so maybe the playcalling has been more simplistic this season in hopes that in year three more advanced formations and play-calls will be used - at least I hope this is the case. There have been some definite flashes of brilliance this season that make me believe that Herman has what it takes to coach in the Big 12/10.

Reactions: jbhtexas

GoShow97

Oct 18, 2006
homeless
A precise, accurate, consitant QB goes a long way in any offensive set. Until ISU gets some improvement at QB nothing will change.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I think Herman has shown some major improvements between the start of the year and the end of the year in his play calling, but he still struggles to adjust when one part of the offensive completely ***** the bed like our line did this weekend.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron