Is Weber out a KSU?

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
I wont downgrade the hire but I will downgrade Manhatten, Kansas. Good luck with that Mr. Tang. Probably be looking for the exit door in 18 months.

• Dumb
Reactions: surly and cycloneML

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
I wont downgrade the hire but I will downgrade Manhatten, Kansas. Good luck with that Mr. Tang. Probably be looking for the exit door in 18 months.
Is Manhatten the same place as Manhattan? It’s actually a wonderful place, very similar to Ames. Underwood was very close to taking it, but his existing contract obligations stood in the way.

• Disagree
Reactions: surly and WhoISthis

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
K-State made two runs at Underwood. He rejected both. I don't blame him. I'd have done the same. He's shown he can win at Illinois albeit he's certainly underachieved in the tournament.

As for Tang, hiring coaches is most often a complete crapshoot, isn't it. The revered mayor is struggling in Lincoln while former assistant Tommy Loyd chases a natty at Arizona.

But Jerome Tang fills the bill in Manhattan. He wanted this job. We'll just have to see how it goes. K-Staters all seem settled now after a turbulent decade under coach Weber. If nothing else, that's a win for A.D. Gene Taylor.

By the way, Taylor is due great credit for how he has managed the retirements of Bill Synder and now Bruce Weber. He's done that without chaos or controversy and filled both slots with solid coaches, it seems.

Jkclone15

Nov 19, 2017

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Tang is getting $14.1 Million over 6 years and Gates got $16.5 over 6 years at Mizzou. I think Tang is the better hire (I wanted Tang over TJ), but my point was Mizzou had more resources and the contracts show some truth to that.

Reactions: mynameisjonas

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Tang is getting $14.1 Million over 6 years and Gates got $16.5 over 6 years at Mizzou. I think Tang is the better hire (I wanted Tang over TJ), but my point was Mizzou had more resources and the contracts show some truth to that.

K-State got who they wanted to Manhattan. Whether he's better than Missouri's guy or yours or whoever's will be determined over time. But I like this hire and favored Tang from the getgo.

Nijel Pack has declared for the NBA draft, but I'm confident he'll be back. And Selton Miguel has gone portal, no loss.

Last edited:

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
OK, Iowa State fans, you all seem to be paranoid about a good coach leaving. Have you ever thought about the fact that no one would want your coach if he/she had not done an excellent job? They have raised the level of that sport at the institution and deserve a big thank you regardless if they stay or leave. Coaches are hired guns! If a good one leaves, go out and hire another one. It should not be difficult because the program is doing well and that makes the job more desirable.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
OK, Iowa State fans, you all seem to be paranoid about a good coach leaving. Have you ever thought about the fact that no one would want your coach if he/she had not done an excellent job? They have raised the level of that sport at the institution and deserve a big thank you regardless if they stay or leave. Coaches are hired guns! If a good one leaves, go out and hire another one. It should not be difficult because the program is doing well and that makes the job more desirable.
What are you talking about?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
You believe a 4% annual differential is a big deal, huh? Good grief.

K-State got who they wanted to Manhattan. Whether he's better than Missouri's guy or yours or whoever's will be determined over time. But I like this hire and favored Tang from the getgo.

Nijel Pack has declared for the NBA draft, but I'm confident he'll be back. And Selton Miguel has gone portal, no loss.
16.5-14.1=2.4/6=400k difference a year. That's 4%?
Plus he said KState made a good hire. You're really super defensive about this whole situation and hire. Most people on here think it was a solid hire.

• Haha
Reactions: chuckd4735

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
16.5-14.1=2.4/6=400k difference a year. That's 4%?
Plus he said KState made a good hire. You're really super defensive about this whole situation and hire. Most people on here think it was a solid hire.
Actually, I'm not defensive about Tang's hire at all. I absolutely love it.

But I do get defensive when people suggest K-State is some sort of financial ghetto compared to its peers. That's a false narrative of the first order.

However, you are correct, denominators matter. Mea culpa.

Last edited:

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Actually, I'm not defensive about Tang's hire at all. I absolutely love it. But I do get defensive when people suggest K-State is some sort of financial ghetto compared to its peers. That's a false narrative of the first order.

However, you are correct, denominators matter. Mea culpa.
JFC