Is Self Done at KU

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Michigan is a great job. Great recruiting brand. Good local recruits. Lots of money. And someone has to fill out the top 10. If not them, then who?

Indiana is a pretty good job but not great. UCLA isn't. Crummy facilities and their place in the game is vastly overrated based on one insane stretch of 15 years that ended decades ago.
UCLA just renovated the Pavilion(or planning to). Jim Harrick won a title there and had a lot of success. Ben Howland had a top 10 program until the **** hit the fan. It's at the very least a top 10 job. Best job in America west of Kansas.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
That would be like going to Ames to be surrounded by hog ****, I guess. If Self leaves it will be for the NBA not another college. He's proven he can't succeed without a high-cost payroll. Look at this year's results.

Ya because Manhattan KS is some all world town.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
UT has top notch facilities. It's in Autstin. It's a massive brand. The have massive metro areas in the vicinity to recruit from. The only thing they don't have that a school like KU or UNC has is 100 years of winning championships. UCLA is THE JOB on the west coast and will always be. They have exactly the same things Texas has plus the tradition of a KU. Arizona, UNLV, Gonzaga, Washington, or whoever else will never be as an attractive of a job as UCLA.
UCLA is a washed up program.
Oregon and Washington are in much better shape.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Arizona is a better job than UCLA.
UCLA is a washed up program.
Oregon and Washington are in much better shape.
Arizona is a top 15 job for sure. Washington is one of the most underrated jobs in the country(along with Minnesota), and Oregon has spent enough money to make themselves a top 25 job for sure. Still not the type of job UCLA is IMO.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Arizona is a top 15 job for sure. Washington is one of the most underrated jobs in the country(along with Minnesota), and Oregon has spent enough money to make themselves a top 25 job for sure. Still not the type of job UCLA is IMO.

We shall see who interviews/gets the job.

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006
1. Self isn’t going anywhere. 2. Danny Manning? Lol. Dude is 65-93 at Wake and 24-66 in conference play. I will never understand some fans obsession with hiring alums - we saw it here in football. People were legit saying we should hire Seneca Wallace and Sage Rosenfels. Kansas is a top 5 job - they can attract and pay for top 5 talent. They aren’t even sniffing at Danny Manning.

I see where you're going with this and agree.

They'll get Rick Pitino. A proven high level coach who is "good now" with off the court shenanigans and would provide Adidas the payroll continuity that they would desire.

• Funny
Reactions: Cyder91

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
I see where you're going with this and agree.

They'll get Rick Pitino. A proven high level coach who is "good now" with off the court shenanigans and would provide Adidas the payroll continuity that they would desire.
A few of my KU friends have been telling me for a few years that Sean Miller is their guy if Self goes anywhere.

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
They have consistently been a better program over the last 25-30 years, but Arizona is not as good of a job as UCLA. UCLA is exactly what Alabama football was before Nick Saban got there.

I think there's some big differences.
Conference prestige: SEC football vs. PAC-12 basketball.
Fan passion: College football is life in Alabama, LA has the Lakers plus all kinds of non-sports distractions
Academics: UCLA is a top-20 USNWR school and it's academic leadership isn't going to cut athletics many breaks
Athletic department: UCLA is clearly committed to non-revenue sports and seems less likely to let the football and basketball coaches have the biggest say

I think there's some real uncertainty about the PAC-12 football and basketball programs, especially the UC schools like UCLA and Cal that I think would make potential coaches hesitant.

Reactions: Die4Cy

Ozclone

Dec 12, 2009
I'm sure that this will make coaches want to jump at a chance to work for the ethics optional KU.

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-kansas/article227485449.html

"Beaty’s lawsuit said he later received a request to extend the payment schedule for his contract payout for KU to avoid tax consequences. When Beaty said no, the lawsuit says Beaty got a letter from KU’s general counsel Bill White to announce that it began an investigation to see if one of Beaty’s employees broke NCAA rules."

"Beaty’s lawsuit disputes the notion that the he hasn’t cooperated with the investigation. Beaty’s lawsuit says the former coach sat for an interview on Feb. 27 and that KU has acted with no urgency on the investigation, except to tell prospective employers that Beaty is the subject of an ongoing NCAA investigation."
Not that it matters, KU won't let a few NCAA violations cause them to get rid of cheatin' Bill as long as he is winning.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Self just quashed the rumors of him looking to leave. Sorry folks, seems like you are stuck going against Self at Kansas for several more years.