iPhone X or 8 Plus?

mganzeveld

Jun 14, 2010
Cedar Rapids
I too have a 6 and just replacing the battery is tempting. I would say the best reason for upgrading to the 8 or X is capacity. I absolutely hate having to manage my 16gb capacity. The minimum on an 8 or X is now 64gb. Nothing like scanning your phone for things to delete in order to make space for pics and video when the Cyclones are getting ready to score at the Liberty Bowl.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
That wireless charging sounds awesome! I really wish my 2015 Galaxy S6 had that feature!

I had an s7 and thought the wireless charging would be great, but it wasn't any big deal at all. I charge mine every night, so really all the wireless did was get rid of a cord that didn't matter. The battery life on that phone was absolutely awful, though so it was nice to be able to set it in the charger at work. Problem was, I plugged it in anyway because if I got a call then I missed those precious charging minutes.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I had an s7 and thought the wireless charging would be great, but it wasn't any big deal at all. I charge mine every night, so really all the wireless did was get rid of a cord that didn't matter. The battery life on that phone was absolutely awful, though so it was nice to be able to set it in the charger at work. Problem was, I plugged it in anyway because if I got a call then I missed those precious charging minutes.

I don’t know if I’m missing something but what is the point of wireless charging? You have to place your phone right on the pad, correct? Which has a cord running to an outlet? Is the only gain that you don’t have to take the 1.5 seconds to plug and unplug the phone?

The only one I’ve seen as a convenience is the wireless chargers in the center console of the new Chevys but the sales guy said those only work with Android. You just set your phone on the top of the console and it charges it.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
I don’t know if I’m missing something but what is the point of wireless charging? You have to place your phone right on the pad, correct? Which has a cord running to an outlet? Is the only gain that you don’t have to take the 1.5 seconds to plug and unplug the phone?

The only one I’ve seen as a convenience is the wireless chargers in the center console of the new Chevys but the sales guy said those only work with Android. You just set your phone on the top of the console and it charges it.
Yes, it is mostly the convenience of not plugging a cord into the phone.
It seems like a small thing, but it is really nice. Especially at work. I can set my phone down on the pad when I'm at my desk and let it charge. I'm also a heavy phone user so I need to keep it charged.

Another benefit is to keep the lightening port open when I forget my bluetooth headphones. The newer phones don't have a headphone jack so you can't charge and have headphones in at the same time.

Charging pads are already pretty inexpensive (~$20) so its not a big deal to pick one up.
http://a.co/iQCKqPn

iPhone uses the Qi wireless technology. Looks like the new 2018 Chevys will charge the iPhone but 2017 and older didn't use Qi.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208148

• Winner
Reactions: Chipper

Sterling4Cy

Nov 13, 2006
Hey guys -

I am due for a phone upgrade. Currently with the 6S. It's through US Cellular so I'm not really buying a new phone. The difference between the X and 8 Plus for me would only be a couple of bucks a month. I'm leaning towards the X but wondered if any of you have had any experiences that should sway me in one way or another?

(Also please spare the sarcastic Android comments. My entire work life is build on Apple products so it'd be a major pain to make the switch right now)

My wife and I just switched over from Samsung's in November. I got the 8 plus. Couldn't justify the cost of the X. Yeah it has some neat added features but is it really that much better than the 8 plus? I couldn't justify it.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006

It’s kind of like push button start on your car. It’s not a huge thing but once you have it , it’s annoying to drive a car where you actually have to use the key.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclone.TV

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
I thought the same thing when I got a Note 8, but it's actually not a terrible transition. The extra screen space reclaimed from not having buttons is glorious.
Just got one. It’s no big deal at all. I’m 5 hours in and I love not having that damn button.

• Agree
Reactions: keepngoal

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Yep... X is the best iPhone I’ve had (5,6,7). The screen blows me away. Happy I pulled the trigger.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclone.TV

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
Yep... X is the best iPhone I’ve had (5,6,7). The screen blows me away. Happy I pulled the trigger.

I literally decided to look for new phones today for the wife and I. Switched from ATT to Verizon and went from 6s to X. Couldn’t be happier.

Well other than I’ve spent the last two hours trying to transfer my wife’s stuff over because she hasn’t backed up her phone in 2.5 YEARS.

Reactions: keepngoal

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
Was gonna start a new thread but just decided to ask here.

Anyone have any AR apps that they really like? My son has been messing with the LEGO one and it’s pretty fun for him. Anything you guys have that you use?

RVD4

Dec 26, 2011
Chris, I went through the same dilemma.The verizon salesman and supervisor told me to wait on the X, too many returns with problems. I went with the 8 Plus and it took a while to get used to the size. ( insert joke here ). I really like it after a couple months of use. The camera is great and the bigger screen is nice for watching cyclone games. The X has a lot of cool features, but they only work if the other person has a X.

clonebb

Oct 23, 2015
Chris, I went through the same dilemma.The verizon salesman and supervisor told me to wait on the X, too many returns with problems. I went with the 8 Plus and it took a while to get used to the size. ( insert joke here ). I really like it after a couple months of use. The camera is great and the bigger screen is nice for watching cyclone games. The X has a lot of cool features, but they only work if the other person has a X.

Haven’t heard anyone else report this. I doubt this is true. X is awesome.

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
Like which feature would that be?

RVD4

Dec 26, 2011
You went out to buy an $800-1000 phone and let a Verizon salesman tell you which one to buy?
I’m not here to tell you what phone to buy, I could care less. Check it out yourself. I love the plus for the 2 lens camera. The salesman was a square shooter. Cost was not a factor, I just wanted something I wouldn’t have to mess with. When the bugs are out of the X I’ll look at one.

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
I’m not here to tell you what phone to buy, I could care less. Check it out yourself. I love the plus for the 2 lens camera. The salesman was a square shooter. Cost was not a factor, I just wanted something I wouldn’t have to mess with. When the bugs are out of the X I’ll look at one.

That wasn’t my point. I don’t think that guy knew what he was talking about. I haven’t had any issues with any features, but as with all phones I’ve ever had, there are always going to be little things that they fix with each update. My point was I don’t think you should trust phone sales people to tell you which phone is best.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron