Iowa State Transfer/Recruiting Class 2024

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
I think Milan will beef up and play the 4.
Lipsey
Gilbert
Jones
MM
Jackson

We could use another couple guards and scoring forward with some size. Watson is the only bench guy that's proven he can play isn't he?

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
I'm of course not saying I think we're lying to transfers about what they're going to get, it's just the numbers of having that many guards who all need/want PT. If we run a traditional two-guard lineup, that's 80 minutes split between five players, 16 mins/game each. If two of them are playing 30 mins/game that's <7 min/game for the rest. If we run a three-guard lineup, that's 24 mins/game average and 15 mins/game for the other two if three guys average 30. I think a four-guard lineup for large amounts of time is fantasy with our defense.

If I have to beat out at least one of Lipsey, Gilbert, and Jones otherwise I might be playing ~ 10 mins/game, that doesn't seem real attractive to someone looking for PT.

I'll be happy to be wrong, would be great to have five great guards.
CuJo played 27 minutes/game coming off the bench. If CuJo starts, that's a lot of minutes for a 6th man. Plus at 6' 6", he can play some forward as well.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Given the transfers out - I don't think TJ views this next year as a "continuity" year - it seems to me that he's viewing it as a "all chips on the table" year.

Or maybe that's every year now in the portal era. But last year it seemed he intentionally brought in guys with multiple years to play, and I don't see that this year.
I was telling friends this before CW and Blum discussed on Sunday, but next season, with the returning guards, is an “all-in” year. If this was an NBA team, we’d be trading every future pick we could for free-agents. No dry powder.

WRT the multi-year guys, the paradigm has changed, and there isn’t the same value since there are now unlimited free transfers.

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
I was telling friends this before CW and Blum discussed on Sunday, but next season, with the returning guards, is an “all-in” year. If this was an NBA team, we’d be trading every future pick we could for free-agents. No dry powder.

WRT the multi-year guys, the paradigm has changed, and there isn’t the same value since there are now unlimited free transfers.
With TJ I'd expect every year to be an "all in" year. I understand where you're coming from, but I think we're just starting to see the beginning of where he's taking this program. I think we'll see a steady flow of great players under his tenure. Too good a recruiter and he develops players.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
Minutes are not the total story. Our defense requires more energy expended per minute than many. Every team plays hard - but our scheme requires extra effort. 20 minutes at ISU equals 30 minutes at eiu.
Yup, less minutes played = more defensive/offensive energy.

Reactions: VeloClone

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
I think Milan will beef up and play the 4.
Lipsey
Gilbert
Jones
MM
Jackson

We could use another couple guards and scoring forward with some size. Watson is the only bench guy that's proven he can play isn't he?

I'm concerned that lineup gets bullied.. great rotation but I wouldn't rely heavily on that during conference play.

I'd rather see Watson develop a corner 3 and run any 2/3 of guard combination with Milan, Watson, and Jackson or Kyle as your front court.

This team was tiny compared to Illinois and would have been small to UConn. We need to get bigger not go smaller.

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
I'm concerned that lineup gets bullied.. great rotation but I wouldn't rely heavily on that during conference play.

I'd rather see Watson develop a corner 3 and run any 2/3 of guard combination with Milan, Watson, and Jackson or Kyle as your front court.

This team was tiny compared to Illinois and would have been small to UConn. We need to get bigger not go smaller.
Milan will get stronger and I bet he gets taller. Jackson's 6'11..260lbs. Rock's over 7. I want another big in the portal, but our small problem starts with Lipsey which I could care less about. I wouldn't mind seeing Watson or a transfer play the 3, but Jones doesn't give up that much size does he? I want him on the court as much as possible without having to take Gilbert or Lipsey out. Lots of moving parts before next season so what do I know. Just drinking Kool aid speculating.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Milan will get stronger and I bet he gets taller. Jackson's 6'11..260lbs. Rock's over 7. I want another big in the portal, but our small problem starts with Lipsey which I could care less about. I wouldn't mind seeing Watson or a transfer play the 3, but Jones doesn't give up that much size does he? I want him on the court as much as possible without having to take Gilbert or Lipsey out. Lots of moving parts before next season so what do I know. Just drinking Kool aid speculating.
I see it like below + anyone else we might add

Lipsey/Gilbert/Jones/Pierce

Gilbert/Jones/Heise/Indrusaitis

Hadley/Momcilovic/Watson

Momcilovic/Watson

Jackson/Rock

With that, we might need one more big dude that is capable of slotting into the 4 or 5 (Kyle would be ideal)

Edited to format it better to my liking.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
I see it like below + anyone else we might add

Lipsey/Gilbert/Jones/Pierce

Gilbert/Jones/Heise/Indrusaitis

Hadley/Momcilovic/Watson

Momcilovic/Watson

Jackson/Rock

With that, we might need one more big dude that is capable of slotting into the 4 or 5 (Kyle would be ideal)

Edited to format it better to my liking.
We absolutely need another 4. We need someone with more length (height and/or bounce like Ward).

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron