Iowa State at Missouri

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Since we're going retro, and since Gus Fring was coaching Texas the other night, anybody up for lookalikes? (yes indeed, I snagged the easiest one)

lookalikes.jpg

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
it's more-so that it doesn't matter nearly as much as a loss to TTU on Monday (for example).
agree. I think some are taking this game lightly. If their stud plays I think it will be a close game. And will we have Grill? Plus they might be pretty pumped after the pounding they took from us last year and us being rated.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
agree. I think some are taking this game lightly. If their stud plays I think it will be a close game. And will we have Grill? Plus they might be pretty pumped after the pounding they took from us last year and us being rated.
We’re a top 15 team from a conference that’s getting high praise at the moment.. they’re definitely going to be ready to go.

I’m pretty sure their whole staff is gone along with most of the players from last year’s team so I doubt last year’s beat down means much to em.

PizzaTheHutt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2014
All I know is their website has to have one of the worst forum formats I have ever seen………….http://www.tigerboard.com/boards/

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I just wonder if there's a dial, as in "dial it down for Mizzou" since they're not a conference foe, in the TJ competitive team psyche?

Not sure they ever go less than balls to the wall. Which I love to see. Leave it all on the court. Every time.

PizzaTheHutt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2014
TJ will be treating Missouri like any other foe. One of his core principals to his team is habits. Habits in the off season, habits in practice, habits into how you approach the game etc. We are all a product of our habits. In this case college ball but most importantly life.

To dial it down for any opponent is to go against one of the core principals he teaches his team to get them performing the way they do.

Chins will be strapped and haymakers thrown.

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia
Missouri kind of sounds like our teams in the past that don’t play defense and are fully dependent on being hot on the offensive end. I think we will frustrate them with our suffocating defense and slow pace offense. As long as we take care of the ball or play our usual way I think it’s close in the first half then just wear them out in the second half. My guess is 74-64 good guys

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
it's more-so that it doesn't matter nearly as much as a loss to TTU on Monday (for example).
The TTU game worries me a lot more than Mizzou - both because its a bigger impact on the season and because of everything else going on:

- Sat - Mon back-to-back road games are killer
- playing in Lubbock always sucks
- They are desperate for a win
- They want payback for the beat down in Ames

Both of the games are Ws if we show up and play hard for 40 minutes. But if we aren't dialed in, like UConn or Iowa, then we'll lose. It's pretty much that simple. I've been very impressed with TJs ability to keep them dialed in, with the two exceptions above

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
All I know is their website has to have one of the worst forum formats I have ever seen………….http://www.tigerboard.com/boards/

A large chunk of message boards used to look like that 20 years ago.

Amazing they've never upgraded over the years.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
I think we should sit Caleb and osun. Give them some rest and be ready for monday. This game doesn't mean much. Losing to an 0-8 tech team would mean alot more so have them ready for that game. and yes I know Osun is not hurt, but quick turn around for the big man and will be a tough game for him against batcho and aimaq
Why do people keep trying to give us the "tyranny of the OR" vs. the "genius of the AND" about winning these next two games? Does TJ even grasp the concept of slack off?

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
The TTU game worries me a lot more than Mizzou - both because its a bigger impact on the season and because of everything else going on:

Both of the games are Ws if we show up and play hard for 40 minutes. But if we aren't dialed in, like UConn or Iowa, then we'll lose. It's pretty much that simple. I've been very impressed with TJs ability to keep them dialed in, with the two exceptions above
I wouldn't compare the UCONN and Iowa games. Iowa had one of their best shooting games of the year, we had one of our worst, got behind early then they passed well as we got desperate on defense. Uconn simply looked like a better, deeper, taller team.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
Reactions: NWICY

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

I thought ISU was plenty dialed in for UConn; UConn was looking like a really nice basketball team at the time and ISU was still figuring some things out while grinding out a couple of wins over an average and decent team.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Okay my hatred is coming back for mizzou, let’s curb stomp them.

I was disappointed when they came back the crowd had lost their disdain for Mizzou, it seemed just like another visiting team. They had been gone too long evidently.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I was disappointed when they came back the crowd had lost their disdain for Mizzou, it seemed just like another visiting team. They had been gone too long evidently.
That’s sad, I wasn’t around for everything historically, but I remember their ******* student section for sure.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
If anyone is interested, here's my player-by-player analysis for Mizzou. They've changed up the starting line-up quite a bit, so I'm going to go with the starters from their last game (ole miss):

Starters:
Nick Honor (5'10" PG) - one of many 5th year, multiple transfers, Honor started at Fordham, transferred to Clemson where he sat a year and then played two, before transferring to Mizzou this year. He short and stocky (listed at 205) and really only shoots 3s and layups off steals. Only averages 3 assists per game, but also 2 steals. Is shooting a career best 39% from 3, and 88% from the line. Doesn't turn the ball over much, only once per game. Lipsey will guard him to start

D'Moi Hodge (6'4" G) - Junior transfer from Cleveland State is their second leading scorer at 14.5ppg. They have a bunch of interchangeable wings who are long armed and good athletes. Also leads them in steals with 2.5spg. Prolific 3pt shooter at over 7 per game and makes 39%. Also averages 1.7assists and less than 1 to per game. I assume Gabe will start out on Hodge.

Isiah Mobley (6'5" G) - Senior transfer from Missouri State - averaged 20ppg for the last 2 years. Has been hurt part of this season and the Ole Miss game was his first start. Shot 40%+ at Missouri St, but was just 6 for 32 before going 4/7 in the last game. He's been very up and down when he's played, but if he's finally healthy he's a major wild card. Holmes will probably start on him - but we could put Gabe on him if he gets hot.

Aidan Shaw (6'8" F) - Top 100 freshman out of Overland Park. Only plays about 12 minutes a game - he started the last two but only score 3 total points and didn't play more minutes. Hasn't played enough to really tell his game - no problem with either Grill, Watson or King guarding him.

Kobe Brown (6'7" F) - 4th year senior (no transfers!) and leading scorer (16ppg) and rebounder(6rpg) and best player. Missed the 'bama game two games ago with a sprained ankle, but played 34 minutes against Ole Miss. Big, strong dude- listed at 240#. Kinda plays like a poor mans Caleb Swanigan (RIP), but not nearly as tough or as good of a rebounder. Went from a <25% 3pt shooter the first 3 years to 43% this year. Pretty good passer for a big guy too (2.5 apg). Will be a good matchup with Shoon, who has size on him, but will be a tough matchup for BRE. Mizzou doesn't have any other real size so it will be interesting to see if we go small and put Tre on him ever.

Bench:
Deandre Gholston (6'5" G) - 5th year senior started at Kent State before sitting a year and then playing 2 at Milwaukee where he averaged 17ppg his Soph year. From when I've watched Mizzou, he's pretty interchangeable with Hodge and Mobley. Averages 10ppg and shooting 33% from 3.

Noah Carter (6'6" F) - 4th year transfer from UNI where he averaged 15ppg last year. A thick player who probably isn't 6'6", but eats up space. Averaging 10ppg and 5rbg, shooting 31% from 3 (close to his career average).

Sean East (6'3" PG) - 3rd year, 3rd transfer - started at UMass, played 1 year at Bradley and then now at Missouri. Nominally the backup point guard, although their offense doesn't really run through a PG. Shooting only 18% from 3pt range - including 0-10 in his last 4 games. Averages 3 assists and 1.5 steals per game. The part of the second have against Arkansas a week ago I watched he may have been their best player. Made FTs down the stretch for them (84% on the season).

Tre Gomillian is their 9th guy, but he's hurt and isn't supposed to play. They have a couple other guys (Diarra 6'10" and DeGray 6'7") who play in a pinch, but average <10mpg. Diarra in particular has played more the last couple games, grabbing 12 boards against 'Bama and scoring 11 against Ole Miss.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I thought ISU was plenty dialed in for UConn; UConn was looking like a really nice basketball team at the time and ISU was still figuring some things out while grinding out a couple of wins over an average and decent team.
We looked tired on game 3 of the tourney - we lost every loose ball and gave up 60% of their misses as offensive rebounds. We've outrebounded everyone since and they haven't done that to anyone else. Some of it might just be the ball bouncing the wrong way - but when every loose ball goes one way - that team was usually playing harder

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron