Iowa Beers Release/Distribution Thread

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
They need to always have Zach's Mexican Donuts on tap. They have a few others like Double Donuts, various Tip the Cow variants, etc. Not a bunch of great IPA's or sours. Met the owner about 10 years ago at an El Bait Shop event and was very cool.

Reactions: BACyclone

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Has anyone had a good beer from Kinship? Seems they’ve figured everything out at that spot except for how to make tasty beer

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Has anyone had a good beer from Kinship? Seems they’ve figured everything out at that spot except for how to make tasty beer
That's been my experience as well. Build the biggest brewery in the metro and start canning before you make one good beer. They are just lucky they built out in waukee where they are the only option. If they were downtown the only place worse would be 1717.

• Agree
Reactions: Messi

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
They made a beer last year I hope they bring back. It was a light and refreshing Japanese rice lager with hints of lemon and ginger. Other then that I like their kolsch and a couple IPAs they’ve done aren’t bad, not on Lua or confluence level but drinkable.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
That's been my experience as well. Build the biggest brewery in the metro and start canning before you make one good beer. They are just lucky they built out in waukee where they are the only option. If they were downtown the only place worse would be 1717.
They get tons of traffic from the bike trail and having the dog park.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
The new DSM location looked like it would be solid for a summer location if there was a patio or garage door open area, especially if you were going to a baseball game as it's really close to Principal Park.

I'm not a big fan of SS in general, however -- they really haven't figured out how to do IPAs very well in general. They're OK and have gotten better, but so many other breweries are so much better at IPAs IMO that I don't find myself picking SS in the store. They offer good beer, solid beer, but others are consistently better.

They do have a sweet location in downtown Waterloo; restored and converted an old Wonder Bread/Hostess factory into a large open-air space with food offering and their main taproom. Great place to hang out.
This would attract me frankly. Enough IPA everywhere else!

Reactions: MJ29

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
They made a beer last year I hope they bring back. It was a light and refreshing Japanese rice lager with hints of lemon and ginger. Other then that I like their kolsch and a couple IPAs they’ve done aren’t bad, not on Lua or confluence level but drinkable.
Just saw that they did bring it back and relabeled it Summer Lager.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY and MJ29

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
Would be my guess for the first of these eastern iowa breweries expanding to Des Moines to fail
But this will be in Johnston where there isn’t a lot going on so I think it will do well.

Plus this.

Backpocket, specializing in German-inspired craft brews, distributes its core beers to stores and restaurants in all of Iowa's 99 counties. But the taproom will give craft beer enthusiasts access to all of its offerings and an "ever-changing lineup of new releases," many of which never make it to the Des Moines metro, Simmons said.”

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
But this will be in Johnston where there isn’t a lot going on so I think it will do well.

Plus this.

Backpocket, specializing in German-inspired craft brews, distributes its core beers to stores and restaurants in all of Iowa's 99 counties. But the taproom will give craft beer enthusiasts access to all of its offerings and an "ever-changing lineup of new releases," many of which never make it to the Des Moines metro, Simmons said.”
Valid, maybe I should try some of their non ipa offerings. The renderings of the space look awesome. With all these new openings Des Moines is really becoming somewhat of a hub for craft beer. Just need someone to start doing some spontaneous fermentation, lambic style beers.

Reactions: baller21

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
BackPocket has recently stepped up their game. Recently I've had a BA Waffle stout, Dark Day German Chocolate, and one called Dreamsickle. All 3 were really good. Their standard stuff pretty much sucks. At this point, I'm just happy to have anything in Johnston.

• Agree
Reactions: NickTheGreat

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
BackPocket has recently stepped up their game. Recently I've had a BA Waffle stout, Dark Day German Chocolate, and one called Dreamsickle. All 3 were really good. Their standard stuff pretty much sucks. At this point, I'm just happy to have anything in Johnston.

Backpocket isn't my favorite brewery in the world, but I am super excited to them to come to Johnston. I know Johnston is weird with supporting restaurants, but I hope this one does okay.

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
BA Waffle stout! That sounds delightful. I hope I can find a bottle of this. Has anyone seen this in a store, or is it brewery only?

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I am sure there will be no "extra" beer left after these classes so none will get out to the public.

Dang that's one heck of a donation!