Iowa Beers Release/Distribution Thread

Malty Flannel

Sep 19, 2019
Huxley
Perhaps this already exists but I haven't seen it. I think it'd be helpful for the beer enthusiast community here at CF to keep a running thread of when local beer releases are happening, as well as when/where the releases are distributed. Kind of a continuous thread to keep us all in the loop and help each other find great beer.

A couple currently:

-Big Grove's Big Ed hit DSM metro stores this week. As of this morning, Ankeny Prairie Trail Hy vee had about 20 four-packs for $14.99. Big Ed may be the very best NEIPA made in Iowa.
-Big Grove Colorado Smuggler is getting released at the brewery this week, and should be in the metro around this time next week. IMO, this is the second best NEIPA that BG makes.
-There are still four packs of Founders KBS Mackinac Fudge floating around. Not an Iowa brew but I know one that has had alot of hype (and its very very tasty). Huxley Fareway is a little honey hole for it. 4-5 four packs left for $19.99
-Confluence DDH Des Moines IPA dry hopped with Cashmere and Nelson Sauvin is all over the state right now. Don't sleep on these; and stellar deal for $10.99.
-TG Hopsmack is in the metro if you still get excited about TG IPA's (IMO they've been surpassed by a few other local breweries). There was plenty at North Ankeny Hyvee this morning.
-North Ankeny HyVee also has a few bottles left of Surly Darkness 2020. I'd assume they're floating around most of the state right now.

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
Perhaps this already exists but I haven't seen it. I think it'd be helpful for the beer enthusiast community here at CF to keep a running thread of when local beer releases are happening, as well as when/where the releases are distributed. Kind of a continuous thread to keep us all in the loop and help each other find great beer.

A couple currently:

-Big Grove's Big Ed hit DSM metro stores this week. As of this morning, Ankeny Prairie Trail Hy vee had about 20 four-packs for $14.99. Big Ed may be the very best NEIPA made in Iowa.
-Big Grove Colorado Smuggler is getting released at the brewery this week, and should be in the metro around this time next week. IMO, this is the second best NEIPA that BG makes.
-There are still four packs of Founders KBS Mackinac Fudge floating around. Not an Iowa brew but I know one that has had alot of hype (and its very very tasty). Huxley Fareway is a little honey hole for it. 4-5 four packs left for $19.99
-Confluence DDH Des Moines IPA dry hopped with Cashmere and Nelson Sauvin is all over the state right now. Don't sleep on these; and stellar deal for $10.99.
-TG Hopsmack is in the metro if you still get excited about TG IPA's (IMO they've been surpassed by a few other local breweries). There was plenty at North Ankeny Hyvee this morning.
-North Ankeny HyVee also has a few bottles left of Surly Darkness 2020. I'd assume they're floating around most of the state right now.
I had been looking for the KBS fudge, was able to snag a 4 pack on my way home, pretty damn tasty, enjoying it more than the standard and espresso.

Big Grove is doing their Richard the Whale release the first weekend of December, you can order online for curbside pick up here:

El Bait is doing a to go beer festival in place of little giant. You will be able to purchase individual 8 oz cans on their website starting Monday for pick up Wednesday. More info here: https://www.facebook.com/events/829883881160606

Reactions: Malty Flannel

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
This might be a long shot and it might not belong in this thread, but has anyone ever seen Shmaltz Brewing beers in the metro? There is supposedly a distributor in Johnston but I've never seen it in stores.

I read a book written by the founder and want to give it a try.

Malty Flannel

Sep 19, 2019
Huxley
This might be a long shot and it might not belong in this thread, but has anyone ever seen Shmaltz Brewing beers in the metro? There is supposedly a distributor in Johnston but I've never seen it in stores.

I have not seen any

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I've seen He'brew in the stores before. It's probably been several years now. But I believe that the founder was on the radio with Bruno on KXNO Thursday mornings.

It would have likely been Urbandale, but like I said, probably at least 2 years ago.

discydisc

Jan 14, 2014
Ames

They used to carry it at Cyclone Liquors you elitist volleyballer.

• Informative
Reactions: cyclonespiker33

Malty Flannel

Sep 19, 2019
Huxley
A couple new four packs from Gezellig in Newton should be making their way to stores this week

Newtonian Haze - 6.9% fruit-forward NEIPA
Woke Holidays - 6% Amber with coffee and spices added

discydisc

Jan 14, 2014
Ames
Lion Bridge's 'Home-Baked' made its way around the metro last week, highly recommend if you like oatmeal cookies.

discydisc

Jan 14, 2014
Ames
Barntown is now available at Cyclone Liquor, they currently have 5-6 different 4 packs.