Interior Paint Recommendations

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I recommend Behr Ultra from Home Depot with the satin or eggshell finish. Like Gonzo said, prime the walls with one coat even if it is paint/primer in one.
Do be sure that the paint you buy has primer included. I think it's pretty tough to get interior wall paint that doesn't include it anymore.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
honestly, IMO, brand matters less than quality. Its worth it to buy the no fume, only need one coat paint. Pick your poison - Behr -HD, Benjamin Moore, or Valspar - Lowes, all good paints.

stevefrench

Aug 7, 2011
You get what you pay for. Cool with doing three coats? Get the cheapest thing you can find. Wanna just run one coat and save some time? Then that $60 gallon might be worth it to you.

Get the little samples and apply a good amount in the areas you plan to paint. Make your selection that way. Paint once applied and dry looks very different than the sample card shows and then your lighting greatly effects how a color looks as well.

Eggshell is a nicer look imo, semi gloss if you’re gonna have kids/pets as it wipes off and cleans up easier.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonpediaJoe

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Semigloss is too shiny. It shows all the flaws in the wall.
Use satin or eggshell. Flat paint doesn't clean well.

Yes, satin. That is what I used. Been a few years. I was thinking S something but semi is all I could come up with.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
No preference on brands, but at your stage of life, definitely go for washable. Pets and small children will do a number on the lower 1/3 of any wall, and you'll appreciate being able to clean crayon, marker, etc, off the walls easily. :D

Once my daughters were both out of the house I gambled and went with Wal Mart paint, but based on a recommendation from a friend. Have to admit I’ve been pleasantly surprised at how it has held up. The key though, as you pointed out, is no kids.

cyclonpediaJoe

Jun 27, 2012
Norwalk
Which is easier to clean? Thought semigloss but not positive. If you have kids, that is big.

Generally the higher the sheen, the more cleanable it is. With Sherwin Williams paint, the Cashmere is made specifically for the smooth finish look and the cleanability. Super nice paint.

cyclonpediaJoe

Jun 27, 2012
Norwalk
You get what you pay for. Cool with doing three coats? Get the cheapest thing you can find. Wanna just run one coat and save some time? Then that $60 gallon might be worth it to you.

Get the little samples and apply a good amount in the areas you plan to paint. Make your selection that way. Paint once applied and dry looks very different than the sample card shows and then your lighting greatly effects how a color looks as well.

Eggshell is a nicer look imo, semi gloss if you’re gonna have kids/pets as it wipes off and cleans up easier.

For sure. We use Sherwin Williams Duration for high traffic areas. Holds up to almost anything. Better than repainting over and over after people keep running into the walls.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Another vote for Behr Ultra Satin.

If you happen to want to add a stripe, spend the extra couple bucks for Frog Tape over regular blue painters tape. It's well worth the aggravation. Or, better yet, don't listen to your wife/child when they say a stripe would look cool.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Behr Premium Plus/Ultra or Sherwin Williams

We use a lot of Sherwin Williams. They always have 30-40% off sales going on so its not any more expensive than Behr.

Reactions: ianoconnor

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

If you happen to want to add a stripe, spend the extra couple bucks for Frog Tape over regular blue painters tape. It's well worth the aggravation. Or, better yet, don't listen to your wife/child when they say a stripe would look cool.

I've done a stripe, never again. I've also done the one accent wall in a different color than the other walls and trying to get the line in the corners where the two colors meet straight and to the point where the little flaws aren't too visible from ceiling to baseboard was the f****** death of me. Never again.

• Agree
Reactions: somecyguy

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis

And when your wife decides it's a good idea to use the word decals on the wall, "Don't worry, they come of the wall without pealing the paint or damaging the wall", it's entirely false. Just plan on a bucket of spackle or joint compound, a whole lot of sanding, and a decent quality putty knife and trowel.

Reactions: coolerifyoudid

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I've done a stripe, never again. I've also done the one accent wall in a different color than the other walls and trying to get the line in the corners where the two colors meet straight and to the point where the little flaws aren't too visible from ceiling to baseboard was the f****** death of me. Never again.

Looks like you have multiple stripes on your house. :).

dsBACNL66EgQEjyGA

• Funny
Reactions: oldman

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC

I did my daughter's room with pink on the top 60%, a 4" black line, a 4" white line and then the remaining wall in black. It looked really good once I finished it, but trying to keep the corners from bleeding into the stripes beneath had me inventing swear words.

Oh, and a year later, my daughter didn't want the pink anymore because it was too girly.

For any new dads out there, just keep the walls white and let them put up whatever posters they want.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I did my daughter's room with pink on the top 60%, a 4" black line, a 4" white line and then the remaining wall in black. It looked really good once I finished it, but trying to keep the corners from bleeding into the stripes beneath had me inventing swear words.

Oh, and a year later, my daughter didn't want the pink anymore because it was too girly.

For any new dads out there, just keep the walls white and let them put up whatever posters they want.

Whatever posters?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
If the fortune cookie says the day will have a happy ending, I usually tip after looking at the wait staff.

kirk89gt

Feb 15, 2014
Frog Tape saves lives (and lines). Use it for just about any and all detail projects. Definitely worth the extra $$.

I also like to keep a rattle can of spray texture around for all those "oooops". It can be a lifesaver as well and does a good job of "hiding" my less than perfect fixes.

Avoid the "accent" wall color especially if it is a deep tone (reds are pretty bad to get it to lay down and look "right"), especially in a gloss. Our big red monster has about 3 coats of pink pepto bismol primer with about 7 coats of color on top. Looks pretty good but was a nightmare to get it to look like it does.

There is definitely a difference in paint qualities. If you are painting a lot, I wouldn't go with the high end stuff. Chances are you will repaint, or change the color again eventually. I do notice a difference in the Sherwin Williams paint in terms of coverage, how it lays down, and hide. Definitely better than most big box brands.

Oh, one final tip. Make sure you save your paint formulas somewhere (even if you take a picture of them and keep them on your phone). You won't believe how often paint companies change their formulas, colors, or the tints that are added at the store. Without a formula you are relegated to a huge guessing game (ask me how I know) of trial and lots of errors. The color you "like" today can be "out of style" next month With a formula, at least you have a puncher's chance.

• Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
Sherwin Williams. Great color selection and great discounts will buying lots of paint

Agreed, they almost always have a 30 or 40% off sale. If you commit to $50 in paint, they will also send to your house one of their consultants to help with colors. Sounds stupid, but it was super helpful when we redid our kitchen. Having her pull out all the color swatches in the room and helping us pick out accent colors made it much easier for my "can't make a decision" wife.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
Do be sure that the paint you buy has primer included. I think it's pretty tough to get interior wall paint that doesn't include it anymore.

I know it's more work, but even if it does include it, taking the time to put a coat of Kilz primer on first, in my opinion makes applying the paint on easier and looks better.

Reactions: jcyclonee

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron