Interior Paint Recommendations

Discussion in 'Real Estate' started by Fitzy, May 3, 2019.

1. nocsious3

nocsious3 Active Member

Aug 23, 2013
    Ratings:
    +608 / 110 / -26
    I've done a lot of painting and occasionally help my buddy when he gets a huge interior painting job. As far as paint, there are many things to consider. I value application time, finished look, and fumes during application as important features. My preferences are either Sherwin Williams Emerald or the Cashmere line. Pittsburgh Paint makes some great stuff too, but I'm not as familiar with their lines. My favorite is probably Cashmere by Sherwin Williams, but I paint with the Emerald stuff more these days. I find using good brushes and rollers as important as the paint choice, and some experience doesn't hurt either.

Keep in mind the Emerald trim paint is an entirely different animal than the Emerald wall paint. Painting trim sucks.

The finish look varies from brand to brand with semi-gloss in one brand looking more like satin in the other brand.

Primer is rarely needed as latex on latex doesn't need one. Even the premium Behr stuff is just ok in my opinion once you paint regularly with the better Sherwin Williams and Pittsburgh lines. My buddy is at the point he won't do a paint project if the homeowner wants to supply their own paint.

Brushes are highly personal and you get a bit of the "Chevy vs. Ford" kind of thing among serious paint professionals. I'm a real outlier in that I prefer Corona brushes with the Chinex bristles. Chinex makes cleanup much quicker as the paint doesn't really stick to the bristles. The only place I can find Corona brushes locally is at Spectrum Paints which also sells some quality Pittsburgh brand paints.

I will only buy Sherwin Williams paint on sale during their 30% or 40% sales. They do those about once a month.

2. cmjh10

cmjh10 Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2012
    Iowa Falls
    Ratings:
    +6,735 / 385 / -3
    Finger

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Gunnerclone

Gunnerclone Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2010
    Cheddar Production
    DSM
    Ratings:
    +26,137 / 1,419 / -36
    After doing two rooms I’m as hunched over as he is running down a basketball court.

4. Trice

Trice Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2010
    Ankeny, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +1,623 / 59 / -1
    #44 Trice, May 3, 2019
    Last edited: May 3, 2019
    Some thoughts:

- I would also echo others who have used Behr Premium Plus Ultra, which is one tier down from their highest-end paint, Behr Marquee. IIRC, at one point Premium Plus Ultra was Consumer Reports' top paint, even above Marquee. We've used it extensively and been happy. Marquee promises one coat; I've always been skeptical, but we tested it in one room and it looks good after two years.

- Home Depot will put Behr on sale in the days leading up to Memorial Day, July 4th, and Labor Day. Big savings, here is last year's rebate form for reference.

- I think most big box stores discount their paint on summer holiday weekends as well if you go with a different brand. Sherwin Williams seems to do discounts fairly frequently.

- PRO TIP, given to me by a Home Depot paint employee. Please double-check this to confirm before you commit to doing it. But I was told you can buy all the base paint you want when it is on sale in order to qualify for the rebate, then return to the store any time to have it colored at no cost. So if you can get an idea of how much paint you'll need, you don't even have to decide on a color at the time of purchase. (This guy also said that you should have an idea of what color you want so you're buying the correct base, but I wonder if that matters, since you can return unopened/uncolored cans of base paint so I assume you could exchange.) I hope that makes sense; let me know if I can clarify.

- If kids are in the future, get at least a satin for cleanability. Perhaps even a semi-gloss in a kitchen area where food will end up on the walls.

- Stripes require extra work and time but just do this and you'll be fine.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Stewo

Stewo Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Male
    Retired
    Iowa
    Ratings:
    +9,375 / 589 / -21
    Well, you and Nick have that in common.

6. Gonzo

Gonzo Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Behind you
    Ratings:
    +8,527 / 562 / -68
    The image was broken, but I'm guessing it looked like this...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. nocsious3

nocsious3 Active Member

Aug 23, 2013
    Ratings:
    +608 / 110 / -26
    When we paint lines we tape it off, run the brush along the tape using the base wall color and then let it dry. That seals the edge. When we come back later that day or the next and paint the strip color. Perfect lines.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Gonzo

Gonzo Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Behind you
    Ratings:
    +8,527 / 562 / -68
    Dark purple for me. Wanted to change to a very light gray. We made her live with the purple longer than she wanted, but when we did switch it took two coats of primer to get it ready for the light gray. That sucked.

9. Gonzo

Gonzo Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Behind you
    Ratings:
    +8,527 / 562 / -68
    Great idea.

10. mdk2isu

mdk2isu Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Male
    Not of this World
    Ratings:
    +2,924 / 107 / -1
    A trick I heard for straight lines, put a line of caulk on the edge of the tape before you put the tape down if you have any sort of texture on the walls.

11. Trice

Trice Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2010
    Ankeny, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +1,623 / 59 / -1
    That's what I was going to say. My post was long enough already. It worked to near-perfection with almost no touching up for us.

• Like Like x 1
  12. SCyclone

SCyclone Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2014
    Male
    Sales manager
    Fort Dodge, IA
    Ratings:
    +8,786 / 208 / -1
    I used to be a Sherwin-Williams guy, but I recently switched to Diamond Vogel. Paint is very high quality, but quite a bit less than S/W.

Pratt & Lambert is the best paint you can buy - IMHO - but it's hard to find. Benjamin Moore is excellent, as is Tru Test (if you can still find it).

Remember the old rule, as it is very true in this case: You get what you pay for. Just because you're buying Dutch Boy or Pittsburgh Paint from the big box stores, don't assume it's going to be good quality paint.

13. CyArob

CyArob Designator Of Dumb
    SuperFanatic

Apr 22, 2011
    Staff Writer
    MN
    Ratings:
    +10,313 / 298 / -2
    Definitely want to emphasize the bolded. I painted a room with what appeared to be a light gray, but by the time it dried and the lighting it looks like a very light blue.

14. ImJustKCClone

ImJustKCClone Well-Known Member
    SuperFanatic SuperFanatic T2

Jun 18, 2013
    Professional Pongid Pundit
    traipsing thru the treetops
    Ratings:
    +23,780 / 498 / -3
    Kinda think this was supposed to be on a different thread?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  15. Cyched

Cyched Well-Known Member

May 8, 2009
    Ankeny
    Ratings:
    +18,825 / 300 / -0
    He makes a compelling point though

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Nader_uggghhh

Nader_uggghhh Active Member

Jul 11, 2017
    Ratings:
    +210 / 14 / -0
    You're gonna have a lot of different opinions here. For me:

* theres no such thing as one coat paint. Spend all the money you want but you're gonna want 2 coats.

*keep in mind that you can put enamel over latex but.not latex over enamel.

*get a nice angled sash brush for your edging. Personally I think that tape causes more grief than it fixes.

*I use the brightest flat white I can find on the ceilings. Satin on walls to hide imperfections. I also just do not like the look of semi-gloss or gloss.

*others have recommended valspar, I personally think its junk. Pittsburgh, behr, dutch boy, Benjamin moore, Clark and Kensington, never had an issue.

*take the time to scrape off paint drips and imperfections, fill nail holes, etc.

Good luck!

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. BCClone

BCClone Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Male
    North Iowa
    Ratings:
    +17,460 / 471 / -1

I had Garnett glory. Basically cardinal. 7 coats of quality paint with vaulted ceilings. It sucked.

18. BCClone

BCClone Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Male
    North Iowa
    Ratings:
    +17,460 / 471 / -1

Embarrassingly yes.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Cyched

Cyched Well-Known Member

May 8, 2009
    Ankeny
    Ratings:
    +18,825 / 300 / -0
    Don't apologize for expressing yourself

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. nocsious3

nocsious3 Active Member

Aug 23, 2013
    Ratings:
    +608 / 110 / -26
    We don't tape much if at all on most projects. It's cheaper and faster to avoid the tape and just cut in. I carry a damp rag just in case.