Interior Paint Recommendations

Fitzy

Tracer Bullet
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2014
La La Land
Wife and I bought our first home in April and have been getting stuff cleaned up for the past couple weeks. Soon, we'll be at the point where we can begin painting. We're looking at repainting almost the entire upstairs floor of our home ourselves and are going to be dedicating quite a few evenings/weekends to it during May.

I'm fully prepared to pay for quality paint as I know it's better in the long run to do fewer coats initially and have more durability so fewer touch-ups are required. Question is, which paint brands/styles offer great quality without immediately jumping into the grossly expensive stuff? We'll be needing quite a bit, so hoping to save at least a few bucks per gallon without sacrificing quality if possible.

Thanks!

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
giphy.gif

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Stay away from lead paints.

Go to a reputable store and finely out what you want. Probably a semi gloss. Go with a brand like valspar or another well known brand. Darker the color the more coats.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I've had great luck lately with Benjamin Moore paints from Ace.
Eggshell seems to be pretty common finish now.

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: Gorm and mkadl

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
No preference on brands, but at your stage of life, definitely go for washable. Pets and small children will do a number on the lower 1/3 of any wall, and you'll appreciate being able to clean crayon, marker, etc, off the walls easily. :D

Reactions: Fitzy

Jacktronic

MONDAYTUESDAYWEDNESDAYTHURSDAYFRIDAYSATURDAYSUNDAY
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 16, 2013
Kansas City, MO
Add another vote for Behr paints. Good quality but not exorbitant.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
Which is easier to clean? Thought semigloss but not positive. If you have kids, that is big.
One of the problems with semi-gloss is that the drywall finish is not always the greatest, especially in residential. Semi-gloss can make imperfections in the finish really stand out -- particularly where light washes along a wall. Just something to consider.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: bstegs and BCClone

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Last last summer, I renovated my house prior to renting it out. I used Valspar ultra 2000 paint from Lowes and I really liked it. It went on really well.

Prior to moving into my house, I used the Behr Ultra paint from Home Depot. This one was a little more difficult to put on compared to the Valspar.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
  • Informative
Reactions: Fitzy

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
We always go with the 2nd best product of a brand that we've heard of.

Here's more advice.

-There's no such thing as a one coat paint.
-That being said, unless you're painting a light color over a dark color, you shouldn't have to do more than two coats.
-You will use less paint with the second coat than the first coat.
-Don't use the cheapest rollers but you shouldn't need the most expensive ones either.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Painted a lot of rooms and Behr Premium Plus Ultra is all I use. Eggshell finish. As others have said, matte shows too many fingerprints, any more gloss than eggshell highlights imperfections of the drywall. I've used different brands and Behr gives the best coverage. Even though they tout the paint and primer in one I'd still prime the walls with at least one coat, I usually go with Kilz.

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
I recommend Behr Ultra from Home Depot with the satin or eggshell finish. Like Gonzo said, prime the walls with one coat even if it is paint/primer in one.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Painted a lot of rooms and Behr Premium Plus Ultra is all I use. Eggshell finish. As others have said, matte shows too many fingerprints, any more gloss than eggshell highlights imperfections of the drywall. I've used different brands and Behr gives the best coverage. Even though they tout the paint and primer in one I'd still prime the walls with at least one coat, I usually go with Kilz.
I mostly agree with this but disagree on using primer. We only use it if the wall is in pretty bad shape. When we use it, Kilz does seem pretty good. It also works for ceiling paint touch-ups for that inevitable moment when something overflows upstairs.

austinkay2k7

Nov 17, 2017
Behr will always have a large sale around Memorial Day. Typically $10 off per gallon or $40 off per 5 gallon. I'd recommend satin for a sheen in higher traffic areas where durability and wash-ability are more of a concern, and an eggshell for areas with lower traffic. The higher the sheen, such as semi gloss, the more it shows imperfection in the walls and the more distracting the shine will be. But also the higher the sheen the more durable the paint will be. I'd save the semi gloss for the doors and trim and use satin or lower sheen for walls.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron