Interesting Matt Kuchar Story

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
After the story became public he did. Why?

Maybe I'm reading the article wrong but from what I see, Kuchar didn't offer the extra 15k, his agency did trying to do damage control. It was just ultimately coming out of Kuchar's pocket.

Kuchar seemed slightly embarrassed that the additional sum had been offered, as he felt his financial obligation to Ortiz was complete. Asked how it came to be that the additional sum was offered, Kuchar said, “That was the agency.” He was referring to Excel Sports Management, which represents him. Kuchar’s agent there is Mark Steinberg, who also represents Tiger Woods and Justin Rose.

Kuchar was asked who would actually pay the money.

Kuchar smiled and said, “It’s not coming out of Steinberg’s pocket.” In other words, Kuchar would be paying. He said the additional proffered payment was Steinberg’s effort at damage control.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclone.TV

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
100k is pocket change for kuchar compared to all of this horrible publicity.

who gives these guys such terrible advice.? oh wait, he and tiger have the same agent....

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
Maybe I'm reading the article wrong but from what I see, Kuchar didn't offer the extra 15k, his agency did trying to do damage control. It was just ultimately coming out of Kuchar's pocket.

Kuchar seemed slightly embarrassed that the additional sum had been offered, as he felt his financial obligation to Ortiz was complete. Asked how it came to be that the additional sum was offered, Kuchar said, “That was the agency.” He was referring to Excel Sports Management, which represents him. Kuchar’s agent there is Mark Steinberg, who also represents Tiger Woods and Justin Rose.

Kuchar was asked who would actually pay the money.

Kuchar smiled and said, “It’s not coming out of Steinberg’s pocket.” In other words, Kuchar would be paying. He said the additional proffered payment was Steinberg’s effort at damage control.

Correct. I’m assuming they talked, agreed to a price to offer him and he then said no.

I would have said yes if I were that guy, though. Unless he really thinks Kuchar will be pressed enough to give him the full $50k. I kinda doubt it tho as he would have done that 3 weeks ago or whenever this came out.

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
No one is entitled to any tip. That’s the issue. Tipping is one of the dumbest things in the world. I still do it at a restaurant and stuff because it is generally expected but I don’t have to.

If you go to a restaurant and pay for your food you should expect good service for the price they charge. Tips should be for someone who goes above and beyond good service. In the US that isn’t how it works but it should be.

Why do you do it if you don’t think you should? That doesn’t make any sense. Make a stand and stand up for what you believe.

• Agree
Reactions: cycart

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Why do you do it if you don’t think you should? That doesn’t make any sense. Make a stand and stand up for what you believe.
I’m not going to punish a server who makes less than minimum wage for a legal issue I have. In this case we aren’t talking about a person barely making a living. We are taking about someone who just made $5,000 in a week.

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
I’m not going to punish a server who makes less than minimum wage for a legal issue I have. In this case we aren’t talking about a person barely making a living. We are taking about someone who just made $5,000 in a week.

If you tip a dollar or two I’m sure that be enough to cover them up to min wage. So thatll get you closer to your goal.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Point being Kuchar obviously knows as you do that it is customary to tip in certain scenarios, such as for a caddie in this case, and also what is a normal tip amount. If you tipped a waitress $.25 after you spent $50 they'd probably also be offended and you would be considered a **** unless there were extenuating circumstances.

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
Point being Kuchar obviously knows as you do that it is customary to tip in certain scenarios, such as for a caddie in this case, and also what is a normal tip amount. If you tipped a waitress $.25 after you spent $50 they'd probably also be offended and you would be considered a **** unless there were extenuating circumstances.

I’ll bet you don’t even tip a dollar a beer ya cheapskate.

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
Well for one, just like with the Kuchar thing, the social media justice mob can be a very real and very bad thing.....we’ve devolved as a society into people who can’t have conversations with people we disagree with. It’s easier to flame on social media and live in an echo chamber.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: SpokaneCY and hlb76

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
Well for one, just like with the Kuchar thing, the social media justice mob can be a very real and very bad thing.....we’ve devolved as a society into people who can’t have concert with people we disagree with. It’s easier to flame on social media and live in an echo chamber.

There’s obviously people who don’t think Kuchar was wrong and there are people who think he was wrong - and for the most part that is going to polarize people no matter what.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
It's only a story because people like you guys are trying to make it one. It's laughable that people who have no idea how something like this works are trying to make a good guy look bad. This sort of thing happens way more than you think. Using a "rental" caddie is common practice and generally they are happy just looping for a pro. This guy is a grade-a douche looking for his 15 min of fame.

I get that Kuchar treated you well but behind the scenes everyone doesn't think he's what the perception is.

I don't really care. If they had an agreement, they had an agreement and he fulfilled that plus he came back with more. Where Tucan really loses me is where he declines the money. Personally, I think Kuchar made a poor decision not to juice the pot once he had won. I just can't imagine not giving him at 30K right away no matter the agreement. The difference between a top 10 and winning is a boat load of money. I also think someone is is Ortiz's ear and it really wasn't handled well.

I don't think this is a total indictment of Kuchar's overall character but it's not the first time people have cocked an eyebrow at his reputation. The ice cream story was probably even worse if it's true but it's too weird to make up.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
100k is pocket change for kuchar compared to all of this horrible publicity.

who gives these guys such terrible advice.? oh wait, he and tiger have the same agent....

I'm not sure how Steinberg is still with Tiger, but I also don't see how you ever pull damage control on his issues. He kept them at bay for a long time.

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
I don't get how people are misunderstanding this story. The issue isn't with the rate he was paid, the $3,000 or $4,000 for the week was obviously accepted by the caddie and Kuchar. The issue is that after Kuchar won $1.3 million he tipped the caddie $1,000 which is an insulting amount given the circumstances and then justified it by saying it was ok because the guy doesn't make much money anyways.

Yeah I think he really botched it for himself by talking about how little the guy is accustomed to making. If he'd just stick to the statement that it was clear the agreement up front and not said anything more he would most likely be fine.

• Agree
Reactions: SpokaneCY

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
I think 5% would be fair. He was probably putting in about half the time/effort that the normal caddie would put in.

Your regular caddie has inside-out knowledge of your game that is much more valuable, so I don't think paying the other caddy a lot is really necessary. That said, you should give him more because he does know the course which is a huge upside. Not sure what would be fair. A deal is a deal, but he could have offered some cash to come out looking good.

• Agree
Reactions: JP4CY

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
The caddie DEFINITELY didn't deserve 10%, or 5%, or anything more than was agreed to. He carried the bag, which is something anyone in the parking lot could have done.

Regular tour caddies who have been through the trenches don't earn 10% the week their player wins, they've earned it over months and years, most likely with some very thin money times along the way and a high likelihood of never seeing a big payday.

Gillis made this a story by sticking his nose in where it didn't belong (again), and the caddie made it a bigger story by thinking he was owed more after the win when people got in his ear.

Kuchar didn't owe him anything more than the original agreement.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron