Interesting Matt Kuchar Story

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
That isn’t being a rich ******* that is reality. $5,000 is a couple months salary for a regular person. They had an agreement for a set amount. Would it be good to give more because he won sure but he is under absolutely no obligation in my opinion.

Of course hes under no obligation. No one is saying that. He made 1.4M and won for the first time in 4 years. 3-5% would have been enough.

I understand the “agreement” they had - but what is a local caddie going to say in that situation? No, you have to give me way more!! It wouldn’t be that easy. It’s on Matt after he won. He obviously thought some sort of bonus was necessary as he gave him an extra $1k - and that’s an absurd amount.

• Winner
Reactions: GTO

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Not really sure what the big deal is, Kuchar paid the guy more than they initially agreed upon. If anything, blame the caddie for not doing research and asking for more up front.
And lets be honest, everybody in this thread has done something similar to save a few bucks, just not to this scale and not in the public eye. Whether buying or selling, private or public, personal or business, everybody is always looking for ways to save $$.

No, don't do this. If not for just being a decent human then think about it as just bad business. If someone helps you make a **** load of money then help them out.

• Agree
Reactions: BillyClone

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Of course hes under no obligation. No one is saying that. He made 1.4M and won for the first time in 4 years. 3-5% would have been enough.

I understand the “agreement” they had - but what is a local caddie going to say in that situation? No, you have to give me way more!! It wouldn’t be that easy. It’s on Matt after he won. He obviously thought some sort of bonus was necessary as he gave him an extra $1k - and that’s an absurd amount.

And this is why I think the article is the worst part. There are some absolutely cringe-worthy quotes in that article. I think people would have been fine with "an agreement is an agreement", or that he felt bad and later offered more. But the "$5,000 to someone making $200" comment is awful, as is his "embarassment" that extra money was offered.

• Agree
Reactions: IASTATE07

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
That isn’t being a rich ******* that is reality. $5,000 is a couple months salary for a regular person. They had an agreement for a set amount. Would it be good to give more because he won sure but he is under absolutely no obligation in my opinion.
This hot take by Kuchar and several people on here is the hottest and spiciest. That it's ok to pay him less than you otherwise would because the guy is poor and a smaller amount of money is still a lot more than his usual income.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
No, don't do this. If not for just being a decent human then think about it as just bad business. If someone helps you make a **** load of money then help them out.
So its bad for roofing companies to hire cheap labor? Is it bad for companies to send their work over seas where they can get clothes and equipment made cheaper? Is it bad for me to hire a different landscaper because they are cheaper and do just as good of work? Is it bad for me to pay a new babysitter less than normal $ until they have proven to me I can trust my kids with them?

I get it, Kuchar makes millions so pay him more just out of the kindness of your heart. But, the fact is, we all do similar things, just on a different scale.

Heck, I’d volunteer to caddie for a PGA golfer at some tournament.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
So its bad for roofing companies to hire cheap labor? Is it bad for companies to send their work over seas where they can get clothes and equipment made cheaper? Is it bad for me to hire a different landscaper because they are cheaper and do just as good of work? Is it bad for me to pay a new babysitter less than normal $ until they have proven to me I can trust my kids with them?

I get it, Kuchar makes millions so pay him more just out of the kindness of your heart. But, the fact is, we all do similar things, just on a different scale.

If the roofing company all of a sudden makes a huge jump in profit, they should absolutely kick some of that back to their employees, otherwise they're jumping ship. Most of these examples have nothing to do with this scenario though, pinching pennies when shopping isn't the same thing.

Not everyone does this.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
This hot take by Kuchar and several people on here is the hottest and spiciest. That it's ok to pay him less than you otherwise would because the guy is poor and a smaller amount of money is still a lot more than his usual income.
No that isn’t what is being said. The market rate for a caddy was apparently the agreed upon rate because he agreed to it. If the caddy wanted his pay to be more performance based then he should have put that in their initial agreement. Changing an agreement after the fact is BS. Just because regular tour caddy’s get a certain amount doesn’t mean he was worth that amount.

cloneu

Jul 26, 2007
Urbandale
www.golfdsm.com
Kuchar should have realized after he won that he should have paid a lot more than $5k regardless of the verbal agreement he says he had.

The caddie should have accepted the extra $15k and not try to do a power move by controlling the final payment amount.

Both probably didn't think winning was in the cards when they made the agreement.

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016

If that roofing company turned their normal $40-60k roofing job into a $1.4M roofing job with the same amount of work, hell yes I would expect them to pay more.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
If the roofing company all of a sudden makes a huge jump in profit, they should absolutely kick some of that back to their employees, otherwise they're jumping ship. Most of these examples have nothing to do with this scenario though, pinching pennies when shopping isn't the same thing.

Not everyone does this.
Well technically Kuchar did kick back some of that profit. He paid more than they agreed upon. Just not in the amount that pleased enough people. How much more should Kuchar have tipped to make it ok in your eyes? It sounds like he offered even more and the caddie said no.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
No that isn’t what is being said. The market rate for a caddy was apparently the agreed upon rate because he agreed to it. If the caddy wanted his pay to be more performance based then he should have put that in their initial agreement. Changing an agreement after the fact is BS. Just because regular tour caddy’s get a certain amount doesn’t mean he was worth that amount.
He literally justified it by saying it was ok because $5k is a lot to someone that makes what he does. So if $5k wasn't a lot to this guy based on his income then he'd have paid more?

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
Well technically Kuchar did kick back some of that profit. He paid more than they agreed upon. Just not in the amount that pleased enough people. How much more should Kuchar have tipped to make it ok in your eyes? It sounds like he offered even more and the caddie said no.

After the story became public he did. Why?

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
A deal is a deal. If the caddie made a poor agreement that's his fault (although if Kuchar hadn't decided to squeeze the local help to save a little cash in the first place he never would have been in this mess).

But Kuchar is doing an awful job of dealing with this now that the guy is pushing for more money. I'm not saying he is an *******; I don't know the guy. But he's definitely coming off as one and his best move to salvage it now would be to shut up and pay the other guy to shut up. Crack open the wallet and make this thing go away, because the whole "$5000 is a lot of money to that guy" argument is not going to win much public support.

• Agree
Reactions: Ficklone02

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
A deal is a deal. If the caddie made a poor agreement that's his fault (although if Kuchar hadn't decided to squeeze the local help to save a little cash in the first place he never would have been in this mess).

But Kuchar is doing an awful job of dealing with this now that the guy is pushing for more money. I'm not saying he is an *******; I don't know the guy. But he's definitely coming off as one and his best move to salvage it now would be to shut up and pay the other guy to shut up. Crack open the wallet and make this thing go away, because the whole "$5000 is a lot of money to that guy" argument is not going to win much public support.

The guy was not pushing for more money. Someone else brought this story out and then he was contacted. He has then said he thought he deserved more after he won.

I’m sure he told someone how much he was paid, but he was wasn’t the one to get this to go viral.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames

I don't get how people are misunderstanding this story. The issue isn't with the rate he was paid, the $3,000 or $4,000 for the week was obviously accepted by the caddie and Kuchar. The issue is that after Kuchar won $1.3 million he tipped the caddie $1,000 which is an insulting amount given the circumstances and then justified it by saying it was ok because the guy doesn't make much money anyways.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I don't get how people are misunderstanding this story. The issue isn't with the rate he was paid, the $3,000 or $4,000 for the week was obviously accepted by the caddie and Kuchar. The issue is that after Kuchar won $1.3 million he tipped the caddie $1,000 which is an insulting amount given the circumstances and then justified it by saying it was ok because the guy doesn't make much money anyways.
No one is entitled to any tip. That’s the issue. Tipping is one of the dumbest things in the world. I still do it at a restaurant and stuff because it is generally expected but I don’t have to.

If you go to a restaurant and pay for your food you should expect good service for the price they charge. Tips should be for someone who goes above and beyond good service. In the US that isn’t how it works but it should be.