If the Drake game doesn't count then....

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015
Everything about it counts. The win/loss, the stats, towards the redshirt rule. Everything.

Got it. Just feels very inconsistent by NCAA to say that everything is good and counts, except that it isn't good enough to count toward bowl eligibility (which is measured in wins only).

But I guess I shouldn't be surprised by NCAA consistency by this point! :)

• Dislike
Reactions: isufbcurt

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015
Except it does

Hmm. But what about something like this:

Team A plays Drake. Team A beats Drake and finishes the season 6-6. NCAA says you aren't eligible for bowl game because they aren't a quality opponent (as defined in previous posts in this thread). NCAA allows teams with 6 wins top play in bowl game, but that 6th win doesn't count as one. Team A stays home for the bowl season.

Team B plays Drake. Team B beats Drake and finishes the season 10-2.

You're saying Team B will be looked at as a 10 win team, and the Drake game does now count and is considered for bowl resume to possibly go to a better game? In one scenario the win is considered and the other isn't?

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006

Team A plays Drake. Team A beats Drake and finishes the season 6-6. NCAA says you aren't eligible for bowl game because they aren't a quality opponent (as defined in previous posts in this thread). NCAA allows teams with 6 wins top play in bowl game, but that 6th win doesn't count as one. Team A stays home for the bowl season.

You're saying Team B will be looked at as a 10 win team, and the Drake game does now count and is considered for bowl resume to possibly go to a better game? In one scenario the win is considered and the other isn't?

You've overthought it, and continue to overthink it with every additional post.

(1) The W-L record is the W-L record.
(2) The win isn't considered for bowl eligibility in EITHER scenario.

The difference is that a team with 10 wins doesn't NEED that win to be bowl eligible. They already are.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Damn I've trained my wife well. Maybe a little too well. I put on the Nebraska-Iowa game because nothing else was on and in the off chance a meteor would strike, and my wife was like "Nuh-uh - hell no. Not only is it Iowa, it's Iowa-Nebraska. Not in my house."

I've never been this proud, but it's also leading me to ask what did I create?

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO

The NCAA states to be bowl eligible you have to have 6 wins against teams that qualify.

So let’s say an independent team with no conference games decides to schedule 12 games against teams like Hamilton County Polytechnic school for the deaf-jewel satellite campus and wins all 12 games. They would still be 12-0 in the eyes of the ncaa, but they wouldn’t be bowl eligible because they would have zero qualifying wins.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012

Yes.
The NCAA doesn't decide which bowl game you go to. They only decide if you can go. The people deciding on the bowls will see Iowa St's record as it is. More importantly, will be how they finish in the Big 12, but their record will be what it is.

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015
The NCAA states to be bowl eligible you have to have 6 wins against teams that qualify.

So let’s say an independent team with no conference games decides to schedule 12 games against teams like Hamilton County Polytechnic school for the deaf-jewel satellite campus and wins all 12 games. They would still be 12-0 in the eyes of the ncaa, but they wouldn’t be bowl eligible because they would have zero qualifying wins.

Yes, I agree with this 100%.

This thread went further than I anticipated haha. :) I'll just leave it at this: I fully understand the comments about a team already being bowl eligible. I'm not saying they wouldn't be eligible when at or above 6 wins from qualifying teams (really don't think anybody is interpreting it as this, but not sure). My only point of friction is that if a win isn't good enough to get you from not bowl eligible to bowl eligible, it doesn't make a ton of sense to me that it would be considered to boost you (in terms of a bowl team resume) when already bowl eligible. Drake is the Hamilton County Polytechnic school for the deaf-jewel satellite campus (bravo on the name haha) in the NCAA's eyes in that they don't deem them as a qualifying win. If everything else counts (win/loss/stats/redshirt rule), feels like the win should be a qualifying win that could send a team bowling. If it isn't good enough for them to count as qualifying win, then seems more like an exhibition scrimmage where nothing goes into official record books.

That's all :D

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO

So let’s say an independent team with no conference games decides to schedule 12 games against teams like Hamilton County Polytechnic school for the deaf-jewel satellite campus and wins all 12 games. They would still be 12-0 in the eyes of the ncaa, but they wouldn’t be bowl eligible because they wouldn’t have zero qualifying wins.
Yes, I agree with this 100%.

This thread went further than I anticipated haha. :) I'll just leave it at this: I fully understand the comments about a team already being bowl eligible. I'm not saying they wouldn't be eligible when at or above 6 wins from qualifying teams (really don't think anybody is interpreting it as this, but not sure). My only point of friction is that if a win isn't good enough to get you from not bowl eligible to bowl eligible, it doesn't make a ton of sense to me that it would be considered to boost you (in terms of a bowl team resume) when already bowl eligible. Drake is the Hamilton County Polytechnic school for the deaf-jewel satellite campus (bravo on the name haha) in the NCAA's eyes in that they don't deem them as a qualifying win. If everything else counts (win/loss/stats/redshirt rule), feels like the win should be a qualifying win that could send a team bowling. If it isn't good enough for them to count as qualifying win, then seems more like an exhibition scrimmage where nothing goes into official record books.

That's all :D

I agree it’s not ideal, I really don’t think we would’ve scheduled this game prior to the change in the redshirt rules. I think CMC wants to get every eligible player in a game once a year for developmental purposes and as a reward for the hard work throughout the year.

Reactions: STATE12

Lineup

Jan 7, 2017
I agree it’s not ideal, I really don’t think we would’ve scheduled this game prior to the change in the redshirt rules. I think CMC wants to get every eligible player in a game once a year for developmental purposes and as a reward for the hard work throughout the year.
and a bonus for eight wins!!!

• Useful
Reactions: titleist

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
The bowl committees don't give a flip which FCS team you beat. They aren't even really evaluating resume, they're evaluating ability to generate revenue. They're trying to make money. That means fans travelling, and a good matchup for TV (brand).

The NCAA rule on bowl eligibility is something different entirely. You can either go to a bowl, or you can't. But once you can, the bowl committees don't care if you beat Drake, UIW, UNI, or whoever. It's all the same to them.

The only FCS team that gets an FBS team any kind of attention one way or another is NDSU.

Reactions: spitfyr36