If the Drake game doesn't count then....

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
To explain it in hopefully the easiest way possible: if we were 5-6 and beat Drake to get to 6-6, we wouldn’t be going bowling but our record would be 6-6. Since we are already 6-4, we are going bowling regardless but the game is just adding a win

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
It counts, but not towards bowl game. It would be similiar if they scheduled 2 FCS opponents in the same season. only 1 would count.

prevents the KSU and Baylors from loading up on FCS teams in the non-conference.

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015
It counts, but not towards bowl game. It would be similiar if they scheduled 2 FCS opponents in the same season. only 1 would count.

prevents the KSU and Baylors from loading up on FCS teams in the non-conference.

I've seen this a couple of times, but am with the minority that if it doesn't count towards bowl game then what is it really counting at all? I get that if we had 5 wins, it wouldn't allow us to become bowl eligible. So if we have 6 wins and win this, it won't get recognized as 7 wins. If we have 7 wins and win this, it won't get recognized as 8 wins. It isn't going to boost our perception or standing to propel us to a better bowl. So what is it really counting towards?

Maybe I've missed it, but what is it counting towards then? Young player development? If we're talking about running 3s and 4s the whole game, are we not better off with a scrimmage within the squad for experience and level of competition?

Raiders70

Nov 18, 2015
Wondering why we didn't make the game contingent on ICW winning this week. Couldn't ICW play is it they lose their playoff game this week? Would make a lot more sense to play somebody that could at least make us compete to win.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Wondering why we didn't make the game contingent on ICW winning this week. Couldn't ICW play is it they lose their playoff game this week? Would make a lot more sense to play somebody that could at least make us compete to win.

UIW opted out of this game, for one.

But no, the entire point is that this was a 'buy a win' game. That's why we scheduled UIW to begin with, every indication was that they were terribad. Then they suddenly got better, like everyone else we seem to schedule.

Raiders70

Nov 18, 2015
UIW opted out of this game, for one.

But no, the entire point is that this was a 'buy a win' game. That's why we scheduled UIW to begin with, every indication was that they were terribad. Then they suddenly got better, like everyone else we seem to schedule.
we still would have beat IW. Kind of pointless to schedule a game where all we have to do is show up.

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
I've seen this a couple of times, but am with the minority that if it doesn't count towards bowl game then what is it really counting at all? I get that if we had 5 wins, it wouldn't allow us to become bowl eligible. So if we have 6 wins and win this, it won't get recognized as 7 wins. If we have 7 wins and win this, it won't get recognized as 8 wins. It isn't going to boost our perception or standing to propel us to a better bowl. So what is it really counting towards?

Maybe I've missed it, but what is it counting towards then? Young player development? If we're talking about running 3s and 4s the whole game, are we not better off with a scrimmage within the squad for experience and level of competition?
There is nobody else to play. Gtfoi. It's a fun little game for the State. I'm going to go and enjoy it you might as well too.

• Agree
Reactions: Spanky

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015
There is nobody else to play. Gtfoi. It's a fun little game for the State. I'm going to go and enjoy it you might as well too.

I don't have a huge problem with it. I was just trying to wrap my head around the "it counts, just not towards bowl eligibility" comments.

Though I don't think it will be much of a fun little game after 10 minutes or so.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO

For ***** sake, your premise is flawed. It counts as a win in the record. The only thing it doesn’t count for is bowl eligibility which ISU has already earned.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
we still would have beat IW. Kind of pointless to schedule a game where all we have to do is show up.

Not pointless at all. The point is a win. And most successful programs schedule games like this.

Do you think Alabama schedules Citadel because they think they'll be competitive?

For some reason we've been one of the few dumb teams to keep scheduling 'competitive' games for this slot, that most other teams use as a complete non-contest game. Im glad we finally get what the rest of cfb gets this year.

• Winner
Reactions: cyrocksmypants

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015
For ***** sake, your premise is flawed. It counts as a win in the record. The only thing it doesn’t count for is bowl eligibility which ISU has already earned.

So it doesn't count as a 6th win to make you bowl eligible, but it can count as a 7th or 8th if you are past the 6th win threshold. I don't see whats so flawed about that confusion. Like I questioned, it shows as a 7th or 8th win in the win record but won't be counted/considered by bowl selection committees?

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate what's being done. Options were super limited after a cancellation, then complicated even further when the replacement makes an unexpected run to the playoffs. It's just strange to me to argue that it counts as a win in the record, though won't be considered as one by any evaluators for anything that matters.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky

8-4 looks better than 7-4. And it allows Campbell to get reps for the young guys/bench since he has a scrimmage at the end of the year anyways within the team.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
So it doesn't count as a 6th win to make you bowl eligible, but it can count as a 7th or 8th if you are past the 6th win threshold. I don't see whats so flawed about that confusion. Like I questioned, it shows as a 7th or 8th win in the win record but won't be counted/considered by bowl selection committees?

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate what's being done. Options were super limited after a cancellation, then complicated even further when the replacement makes an unexpected run to the playoffs. It's just strange to me to argue that it counts as a win in the record, though won't be considered as one by any evaluators for anything that matters.

The game counts as a win no matter what. You just cannot use it for bowl eligibility.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Like I questioned, it shows as a 7th or 8th win in the win record but won't be counted/considered by bowl selection committees?

Unless it's a loss (I shudder at the thought), an FCS win to get 8-4 probably won't make a difference with bowl placement compared to 7-4 -- pecking order in big 12 bowl slots would be established. So it may not help, but it won't hurt anything.

istater7

Mar 31, 2010

Iowa State (should) be 8-4 and the bowl committees will evaluate 8-4. The only time it doesn’t count for bowl games is if you are using it as your sixth win to be bowl eligible at 6-6.

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015
Unless it's a loss (I shudder at the thought), an FCS win to get 8-4 probably won't make a difference with bowl placement compared to 7-4 -- pecking order in big 12 bowl slots would be established. So it may not help, but it won't hurt anything.

Right, I'm just saying it won't make a difference with bowl placement. If they don't recognize it as a 6th, they don't suddenly recognize it as an 8th just because we have a few more wins that count. I assume we would be considered as an 11 games completed team.

To get off of the wins discussion for a second, do the stats get to be counted to season/career totals by NCAA? Just feels weird to think the NCAA wouldn't think that the competition is at a level that can be counted (if you went 6-6, but they'd see it as 5-6 by not allowing bowl eligibility), yet would count the numbers against the same competition. More like they consider it an exhibition. I don't know, just food for thought...

• Disagree
Reactions: burn587

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
Right, I'm just saying it won't make a difference with bowl placement. If they don't recognize it as a 6th, they don't suddenly recognize it as an 8th just because we have a few more wins that count. I assume we would be considered as an 11 games completed team.

To get off of the wins discussion for a second, do the stats get to be counted to season/career totals by NCAA? Just feels weird to think the NCAA wouldn't think that the competition is at a level that can be counted (if you went 6-6, but they'd see it as 5-6 by not allowing bowl eligibility), yet would count the numbers against the same competition. More like they consider it an exhibition. I don't know, just food for thought...

Everything about it counts. The win/loss, the stats, towards the redshirt rule. Everything.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron