MLB: Idiot Joe Kelly

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Kelly seems a little cray cray. Add the funky glasses and I can't help sorta liking him even when he was with the Red Sox and me being a Yankee fan.

You'll certainly remember this one. They don't show it in the shot, but after Austin slams his bat, Kelly gives him a "come on over, let's go" with his hand. You can kind of see it in the behind view. I loved Kelly for that moment. Though I have no horse in this race otherwise.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Baseball has an unwritten rule that the game policies itself. It's gonna be a LONG season for the Astros.... Next year won't be any better because there a re a lot of teams that they don't play due to the shorten schedule. Joe Kelly just got served a stiffer punishment than the cheating Astros organization. The targets on their backs just got even bigger.

I used to love baseball but all these unwritten rules turned me off to it. If it isn't written then it isn't a real rule.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
MLB did this to themselves by giving the Astros a slap on the wrist for their cheating. Personally I have no problem with what he did. The Astros are getting off even easier this season with no fans at games to boo and heckle them too. We all knew this was going to happen when the Dodgers faced them too, of any team in baseball they lost the most due to what the Astros did. I wouldn't mind every team this year plunking at least 1 guy a series, especially any players still on the Astros that were directly involved with the cheating that went on.

Prove it.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Prove it.

Umm they got beat in the WS by a bunch of cheaters? There are numerous videos out there like this one, notice how they tee off on every pitch there is a distinct whistle sound. I guess any team they beat leading up to the WS can feel robbed too but to make it there only to have the other team signaling pitches with a championship on the line I'd say the Dodgers probably have the biggest beef of any team in the league. The whole situation sucks and MLB really dropped the ball by not punishing the Astros harder.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I'm all about teams throwing at Astros' batters, but eventually Astros' pitchers are going to start returning the favor, and I'm going to be sitting here waiting with the bucket of popcorn, because I'm all about the ensuing chaos.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
I love me some Jomboy. Unfiltered hot takes. :)
Jomboy easily has the best baseball content out there right now. Highly recommend every baseball fan to watch some of his videos and even non baseball fans should find them funny. A lot of them are actually great baseball breakdowns and then others are just hilarious like this one the other night

Reactions: g4ce

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
This is still one of my favorite badass pitcher moments when Kyle Farnsworth had a nice form tackle on when another pitcher started barking at an inside pitch. Farnsworth was built like a linebacker so he's one of that last guys you probably wanted to charge the mound on. Another guy from around that time that came to mind is John Rocker who was pretty built too and had quite a cocky attitude and mouth on him as well.

WhizzerClone

Feb 20, 2020
I'm all about teams throwing at Astros' batters, but eventually Astros' pitchers are going to start returning the favor, and I'm going to be sitting here waiting with the bucket of popcorn, because I'm all about the ensuing chaos.
They need to take their 1 HBP/game like the Dr of the Baseball Gods prescribed and not return fire. If that happens, benches will clear every single game they play in. Then again I wouldn't mind seeing Altuve get punched in the face every game.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Just so we’re straight on this “hero”. This is the same guy who was a member of the cheating Red Sox, right? Just a couple of years ago? Hypocrite much?

That totally aside from the total stupidity of his actions, then and since. Throwing a nigh 100 mph baseball at someone’s head. It goes downhill from that point.

Even worse, in the current climate in this country, that an effing role model demonstrates that if you aren’t happy with the results of a decision, if you don’t think a punishment was harsh enough, that you take justice into your own hands?!!

Attack someone yourself?

Seriously?!!

What an idiot. I rarely curse, but that qualifies for a ****ing moron!

It’s too bad he didn’t hit him. I hate cheaters

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I think it will be really interesting to find out how many of the Astros stars from the previous few years are actually good major league hitters. I'm not saying they're not talented, they certainly are. But, for example, Altuve has a .315 lifetime average. How much of that is aided by the cheating? If you said he got 5% more hits because of cheating, that drops him to a 0.265 career average.

Edit: Looked up Altuve's career home/away splits. He's actually a better hitter on the road, historically. 0.319 (road) to 0.309 (home avg). So a terrible example by me, but my question still stands for their hitters, in general.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I think it will be really interesting to find out how many of the Astros stars from the previous few years are actually good major league hitters. I'm not saying they're not talented, they certainly are. But, for example, Altuve has a .315 lifetime average. How much of that is aided by the cheating? If you said he got 5% more hits because of cheating, that drops him to a 0.265 career average.

Edit: Looked up Altuve's career home/away splits. He's actually a better hitter on the road, historically. 0.319 (road) to 0.309 (home avg). So a terrible example by me, but my question still stands for their hitters, in general.
As a Twins fan, if you look at the stats, Marwin Gonzalez clearly benefited SIGNIFICANTLY from playing in Houston

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
As a Twins fan, if you look at the stats, Marwin Gonzalez clearly benefited SIGNIFICANTLY from playing in Houston
Some will benefit, the great ones may only do so slightly. Either way, f*** the Astros.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
They need to take their 1 HBP/game like the Dr of the Baseball Gods prescribed and not return fire. If that happens, benches will clear every single game they play in. Then again I wouldn't mind seeing Altuve get punched in the face every game.

What they “need” to do and what they’re eventually going to do are two different things. I’m not saying the Astros don’t deserve this, I’m saying there’s limits to patience, and sooner rather than later the Astros as a team are going to snap, likely after one individual player has snapped, and it’s going to get real ugly. And it’s going to be the commissioner’s office that’s at fault because they didn’t do anything significant to punish the Astros all the while allowing the unwritten rules to take over.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

Group-Cant-Hold-Back-The-Laughter-Gif-Blazing-Saddles.gif

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
The Astros are just pissy because they're not used to not knowing what pitch is coming.

If they haven't figured out which pitch is coming this season by now, they haven't been paying attention.