I want to Believe

Are we the only living beings in the universe?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Hawking voiced his fears at the Breakthrough event, saying, "We don't know much about aliens, but we know about humans. If you look at history, contact between humans and less intelligent organisms have often been disastrous from their point of view, and encounters between civilizations with advanced versus primitive technologies have gone badly for the less advanced. A civilization reading one of our messages could be billions of years ahead of us. If so, they will be vastly more powerful, and may not see us as any more valuable than we see bacteria."
Oh that’s nice.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008

How come in this age of high-def, digital cameras everywhere, in every pocket, practically, this is the best video we can get of supposed UFOs?

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Hawking voiced his fears at the Breakthrough event, saying, "We don't know much about aliens, but we know about humans. If you look at history, contact between humans and less intelligent organisms have often been disastrous from their point of view, and encounters between civilizations with advanced versus primitive technologies have gone badly for the less advanced. A civilization reading one of our messages could be billions of years ahead of us. If so, they will be vastly more powerful, and may not see us as any more valuable than we see bacteria."
On the bright side, if you told most people you found a place that’s loaded with a new and strange bacteria, they might be cool with just steering clear of it.

Reactions: besserheimerphat

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
They see NO value in our species??? I beg to differ.
A8WF.gif

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
Are we the only living beings in the universe?

As I look out my window I can't even count the living things I can see. So the answer is "no". I've also had cats smarter than many people, so, well, that's another story.

We will eventually find proof of life on Mars. It won't be the last place in the solar system.

Will we ever become aware of interstellar travelers? I'm skeptical. We really have nothing that should interest them if they're that advanced. I feel it may be more likely that we're being visited from across dimensions than across light years. It's also quite possible we're just being visited by us. Think about it. YMMV. Burn one and see what you come up with.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
As I look out my window I can't even count the living things I can see. So the answer is "no". I've also had cats smarter than many people, so, well, that's another story.

We will eventually find proof of life on Mars. It won't be the last place in the solar system.

Will we ever become aware of interstellar travelers? I'm skeptical. We really have nothing that should interest them if they're that advanced. I feel it may be more likely that we're being visited from across dimensions than across light years. It's also quite possible we're just being visited by us. Think about it. YMMV. Burn one and see what you come up with.

Right there with ya. It’s a possibility that what we think are alien visitors are humans from the future. I assume that’s what you are speculating too?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Turn2

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
If we find intelligent life out there, can we trade some of our unintelligent life for some of them?

On a more serious note though, I think people vastly underestimate what space travel requires beyond say Mars. While technology will create new opportunities and advances beyond today’s imagination, it would take something that fundamentally breaks our current laws of physics to be able to travel to 99.9999999999% of the Universe.

Despite all the advances of mankind over the past 100 years, we’re still fundamentally stuck with iterative improvements on the same core principles of rocket design and thrust. There is no scenario where anything we can think of today can make space travel possible beyond our small solar system (or even within most of it). Unless or until we can find or prove something like teleportation, wormholes, etc (things of fiction today), we’re not going to get anywhere of real promise for advanced civilizations.

Even today, getting beyond a few hundred miles above earth’s surface requires vast expenses and time. Getting to the moon and back takes weeks, and getting to Mars and back would take many months and a lot of luck. Jump ahead another 100 years and without some theoretical game changer, it’s likely only the moon and Mars will be in reach.

It’s almost certain there is other intelligent life, but also possible that even if they are millions or billions of years ahead of us, there just isn’t a way to travel such vast distances and/or detect various types of communication or signals.

Last edited:

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I’m speaking more about these videos of UFO’s that always pop up. I don’t believe any of them. I don’t think some UFO flew 100 billion miles and stumbled upon earth, flew next to a jet, and then leave never to be seen again.
You say that like human pilots have never hot dogged around other human pilots flying inferior craft, then flown off never to be seen again.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I don’t think people understand how vast the universe really is... so, is there life someone else out there? The answer is almost certainly yes. Now do I think we will ever interact with other evolved living beings? No I do not. The distance between us is likely to big for us to ever meet. Unless we start talking about traveling through wormholes and stuff like that...
Quantum entanglement.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Need at least two more choices in your poll. Don't Know, Don't Care.

I'd probably check both of those. I would start caring if we were made aware of legitimate sightings and evidence. I guess that is debatable.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
If we find intelligent life out there, can we trade some of our unintelligent life for some of them?

On a more serious note though, I think people vastly underestimate what space travel requires beyond say Mars. While technology will create new opportunities and advances beyond today’s imagination, it would take something that fundamentally breaks our current laws of physics to be able to travel to 99.9999999999% of the Universe.

Despite all the advances of mankind over the past 100 years, we’re still fundamentally stuck with iterative improvements on the same core principles of rocket design and thrust. There is no scenario where anything we can think of today can make space travel possible beyond our small solar system (or even within most of it). Unless or until we can find or prove something like teleportation, wormholes, etc (things of fiction today), we’re not going to get anywhere of real promise for advanced civilizations.

Even today, getting beyond a few hundred miles above earth’s surface requires vast expenses and time. Getting to the moon and back takes weeks, and getting to Mars and back would take many months and a lot of luck. Jump ahead another 100 years and without some theoretical game changer, it’s likely only the moon and Mars will be in reach.

It’s almost certain there is other intelligent life, but also possible that even if they are millions or billions of years ahead of us, there just isn’t a way to travel such vast distances and/or detect various types of communication or signals.
Warp Drive?

Help Support Us

Become a patron