I want to Believe

Are we the only living beings in the universe?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
My view on it is very similar to the earth when it first started being explored. We don't know what is out there and may want to believe there is nothing else out there. But I think there is something else out there. Evolution wise, I believe there are planets where life is just forming and where life is well evolved.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I won’t believe anything until I see an Alien with my own eyes. I don’t trust any of these grainy videos. Same thing with ghosts. I used to watch those dumb ghost hunting shows until they always “just missed it with the camera” or trying to say a piece of dust is an orb. Won’t believe any of it until an ET looking creature slaps me in the face. Yes its possible, but until I see it with my own eyes I don’t believe any of these videos. They are too easily staged or faked.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
I find it extremely hard to believe in the vastness of the galaxy, that we could possibly be alone.
However, I also think there’s merit to the Fermi paradox. Basically the Milky Way is relatively young. If there are stars/planets billions of years older than us, how is it that other civilizations aren’t already here?

cyfanbr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2013
IL
I don’t think people understand how vast the universe really is... so, is there life someone else out there? The answer is almost certainly yes. Now do I think we will ever interact with other evolved living beings? No I do not. The distance between us is likely to big for us to ever meet. Unless we start talking about traveling through wormholes and stuff like that...

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I feel like just by chance that we would have found some life of some sort out there by now..... but it's so hard to even comprehend just how little of the universe that we've explored...... probably like one grain of sand on a large beach.

So what are people's opinions on these videos that the Navy has been releasing? These aren't the first ones. What are these flying objects? I could see them as fakes, but coming from the Navy gives them a lot more credence.

Reactions: motorcy90

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
I don’t think people understand how vast the universe really is... so, is there life someone else out there? The answer is almost certainly yes. Now do I think we will ever interact with other evolved living beings? No I do not. The distance between us is likely to big for us to ever meet. Unless we start talking about traveling through wormholes and stuff like that...
It isn’t possible for us to comprehend how large the galaxy is.

“There are 10 times more stars in the night skythan grains of sand in the world's deserts and beaches, scientists say. Astronomers have worked out that there are 70 thousand million million million - or seven followed by 22 zeros - stars visible from the Earth through telescopes.”

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Easiest question ever. No. Just our little corner of our galaxy is mind boggling massive, let alone our galaxy. Then when you realize our galaxy is just one of so many in the Universe.... frankly it’s both stupid and ridiculously conceited to think we are the only life in the Universe.

The hardest part to contacting any, other than the scale of distance.... time! Look how very very brief humanity’s time on Earth has been in our planets history. Then think about how long we have even been able to fly or send radio signals.And who knows how long out species will really last? Civilizations are fragile. Every other species will face similar challenges.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I find it extremely hard to believe in the vastness of the galaxy, that we could possibly be alone.
However, I also think there’s merit to the Fermi paradox. Basically the Milky Way is relatively young. If there are stars/planets billions of years older than us, how is it that other civilizations aren’t already here?

They likely arose and died out already. Flamed out, just like we likely will. Or never developed the technology for real interstellar travel, as we haven’t. The speed of light is one helluva limiting factor.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I won’t believe anything until I see an Alien with my own eyes. I don’t trust any of these grainy videos. Same thing with ghosts. I used to watch those dumb ghost hunting shows until they always “just missed it with the camera” or trying to say a piece of dust is an orb. Won’t believe any of it until an ET looking creature slaps me in the face. Yes its possible, but until I see it with my own eyes I don’t believe any of these videos. They are too easily staged or faked.

But you are describing an alien species visiting our little planet in our little corner of the galaxy. Not life existing - huge difference. Hell, by your definition us humans don’t really exist either, we aren’t even close yet to being able to travel to another solar system.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
But you are describing an alien species visiting our little planet in our little corner of the galaxy. Not life existing - huge difference. Hell, by your definition us humans don’t really exist either, we aren’t even close yet to being able to travel to another solar system.
I’m speaking more about these videos of UFO’s that always pop up. I don’t believe any of them. I don’t think some UFO flew 100 billion miles and stumbled upon earth, flew next to a jet, and then leave never to be seen again.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclones01

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

We could maybe have a multi-generational starship with a new propulsion tech and get incredibly lucky that a neighboring system has some sort of life even if it's nothing like the life we know or microbial life.

I think our definition of life is probably much too narrow or lacking in imagination.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I’m speaking more about these videos of UFO’s that always pop up. I don’t believe any of them. I don’t think some UFO flew 100 billion miles and stumbled upon earth, flew next to a jet, and then leave never to be seen again.

Ah got ya. That’s a different story. However, many of these stories are very similar, so the argument that they flew away after to never be seen again is flawed. And for that matter, nobody would reasonably argue that they randomly stumbled upon earth either. Clearly they would be here for a reason.

Of the UFO stories that I have read, the most credible one to me are all the military officers who claim to have seen these unexplained phenomena during our nuclear testing efforts back in the day. Because if we are being visited by aliens, you have to assume they are friendly and trying to help, or at the very least peacefully observe us. And that would certainly be a time when they would be most concerned about our species technological progress and safety, and would be watching over.

Last edited:

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
We could maybe have a multi-generational starship with a new propulsion tech and get incredibly lucky that a neighboring system has some sort of life even if it's nothing like the life we know or microbial life.

I think our definition of life is probably much too narrow or lacking in imagination.

Bingo. I also think we may ultimately find microbial life on one or more of the moons orbiting Saturn and Jupiter.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

That does seem VERY improbable..... but I also tend to believe what Navy pilots report seeing as well. And if these are some sort of highly secretive military planes that nobody knows we have yet.... then why would the Navy allow these to be released?

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum and CloneIce