Hurricane Matthew

TOFB4ISU

Nov 6, 2010
The QC
Sh!+'s getting real. I would rather deal with a 0.05% risk within the next hour (tornado) than deal with a 50% risk within the next week (hurricane) anytime.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Have a son who is supposed to fly out of Florida for a conference this week, so been on pins and needles on whether he gets out before it hits.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Last update had Matthew as a Cat 4 storm with 145 mph winds, still projected to head north, then jog to the northwest, going through the heart of the Bahamas, then possibly brushing up against a lot of the east coast. He was a Cat 5 for a few hours around midnight on October 1 (160 mph).

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Definitely is starting to get real. I moved to Columbia, SC in August last year and right at this time last October Hurricane Joaquin dropped about 20" of rain in 48 hours on us and caused massive flash flooding. Looks like now that Matthew's path is continually shifting closer and closer to landfall on the SC coast. Right now is projected right about the NC/SC border as a Category 3 when it hits. Fortunately we are about 100 miles inland, but any more slight shifts and we could be looking at a fairly direct hit. Will have lots of wind and rain regardless.

Not going to be fun to say the least! Give me mid-western storms any day of the week

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Latest update on Matthew as of 10 a.m. Central time this morning: winds were knocked down to 120 mph, a cat 3 storm, but he is regaining intensity now that the center of the storm is back over open water with no high-relief land areas to interfere with development. The forecast path continues to move through the Bahamas and up the Florida coast. Much of the area between Miami and Jacksonville is under a hurricane warning, including inland areas like Orlando and Lake Okeechobee. Computer models are now saying that Matthew may reach the Carolinas before getting 'stuck' just off the coast, whereas yesterday the forecast was to continue up the Atlantic seaboard and out to sea.

Last edited:

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
UCF shutting down early this afternoon until Sunday. Looks like their football opponent, Tulane, had the same bye week in November so that game at least is an easy reschedule.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Matthew is now forecast to approach the Florida coast as a category 4 storm with 145 mph sustained winds - gusts will be higher. In the NW Bahamas this morning, winds are at 125. He is still projected to move up the coast to the Georgia/South Carolina area, before turning east/southeast and stalling. The "good" news with this is by the time that happens, Matthew should be down to a strong tropical storm/weak hurricane. The bad news is that he'll be at full strength as he churns up the length of Florida's Atlantic coast and could potentially circle around for another strike if steering winds decide to shove him back to the west early next week. :eek:

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I was in Les Cayes & Chantel, Haiti last January for a mission trip. It sounds like the area of Chantel that we have supported in Chantel is about totally ruined.
Our church has sent 7-8 groups to Chantel for the last 7 years and have built a very close relationship with the community. I really feel for them. They just don't have the means to bounce back for disasters like this.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Why is it when they show people prepping for hurricanes they are screwing sheets of plywood over their windows? You would think by now they would have some sort of storm shutter system in place in home construction so you don't have to run screws into your window frames.

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Worried about the condo in St Lucie County. We have hurricane shutters and it's on the 12th floor so not worried about storm surge. Mostly just about all the people and businesses we have come to know from the years of going there.

Looks like it's coming ashore right about there. The shutters have not been true-life tested in storms of that intensity.

Easy way to find where the condo is on a map. Draw a line straight E. from the northern edge of Lake Okeechobee. Where that line hits the Atlantic is Jensen Beach.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Son has been in Florida for four years. Finally decides to go to a conference out of country for work, and hurricane. Glad I don't have to worry about him, but worried for everyone in the path of this thing. Fortunate they haven't had one in a while but I think they are a bit out of practice.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Worried about the condo in St Lucie County. We have hurricane shutters and it's on the 12th floor so not worried about storm surge. Mostly just about all the people and businesses we have come to know from the years of going there.

Looks like it's coming ashore right about there. The shutters have not been true-life tested in storms of that intensity.

Easy way to find where the condo is on a map. Draw a line straight E. from the northern edge of Lake Okeechobee. Where that line hits the Atlantic is Jensen Beach.
Looks like the eye just passed over Nassau and is headed that way. Hopefully the people evacuated as requested. In the end there will most likely be some stubborn ones that will refuse to leave.

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I have strong political leanings but I am not looking forward to this pending disaster becoming politicized.

Agree. One thing I can't stand is when politicians (everyone does it) go to a disaster area to look around while saying "Don't come gawk". If you are going to be there do something. I am not aware of any requirement to check it out in person to approve disaster funding.

/rant

TOFB4ISU

Nov 6, 2010
The QC
Agree. One thing I can't stand is when politicians (everyone does it) go to a disaster area to look around while saying "Don't come gawk". If you are going to be there do something. I am not aware of any requirement to check it out in person to approve disaster funding.

/rant
That, but more like "FEMA is bad/good, Rick Scott is bad/good, Obama is bad/good, climate change is real/fake, etc."

Reactions: wxman1