Hurricane Ian's destruction

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I can sort of relate to the non-evacuees. So many times they get it wrong. And you end up evacuating for nothing. Costly and a huge inconvenience.

I kind of relate it to us. We hear a tornado warning for our area and how many of us actually go down to our basement or wait until we feel like we're in immediate danger?

Not exactly the same, but I understand the decision is not easy-peasy.
Yeah, really depends on the scenario. If you're living on Sanibel or Captiva, or within spitting distance of the ocean, it's your own damn fault if you risked it. If you're in an area that hasn't experienced an issue before, I could see where you might wait and see (possibly until it was too late).

tzjung

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2007
Ankeny, IA
Yeah, really depends on the scenario. If you're living on Sanibel or Captiva, or within spitting distance of the ocean, it's your own damn fault if you risked it. If you're in an area that hasn't experienced an issue before, I could see where you might wait and see (possibly until it was too late).

Yep! Sanibel Island is literally 3 ft above sea level. What do those people think when they get a 9 ft storm surge. That Island was literally swallowed for an entire day.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Unfortunately there is no airport on Sanibel so everything will need to be done by helicopter or boat. I have a feeling Chinook crews will getting well acquainted with the area.
I've never been to anywhere but Orlando in Florida. How big is Sanibel and is it mostly resorts or lots of higher end housing as well?

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I've never been to anywhere but Orlando in Florida. How big is Sanibel and is it mostly resorts or lots of higher end housing as well?
I haven't been in decades but I remember very few houses, mostly protected areas, and like one road around the whole island. A traffic nightmare.

Reactions: Jer

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I would imagine the Army Corps of Engineers will be mobilized to expedite some of the bridge repairs.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
Not terribly large. Probably a few miles across? It took us maybe 20 or 30 minutes to drive to the wildlife refuge on the other end of the island. Not a lot of roads, and felt somewhat closed in since there's no elevation to really see across an area. Mostly resorts on the coast and normal housing on the interior. Basically one main street with various small businesses and restaurants crowded along it.

Reactions: Jer

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Looks like it's more than just that section of bridge to Sanibel. The road over there goes across little areas of land here and there, and the road is washed out completely in a few spots.

Not an engineer but it sure looks like it was designed to break cleanly. Doesn't look like it will take a long time to fix.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

What I don’t get is that it’s going to be a desolate wasteland no matter what if you can ride it out. Even if there’s not that much damage there won’t be any services, places to go, if you have an emergency like you cut your hand badly or have a stroke or a heart attack you probably won’t be able to get an ambulance in a timely manner, or be able to get to a medical facility on your own.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
Not an engineer but it sure looks like it was designed to break cleanly. Doesn't look like it will take a long time to fix.
Yeah, that part I'd imagine can be spanned fairly quickly (especially since the military has means to get things like that up and running quickly. The washing out road beds look tougher, but maybe they can use pontoon bridges until it can be permanently fixed.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
What I don’t get is that it’s going to be a desolate wasteland no matter what if you can ride it out. Even if there’s not that much damage there won’t be any services, places to go, if you have an emergency like you cut your hand badly or have a stroke or a heart attack you probably won’t be able to get an ambulance in a timely manner, or be able to get to a medical facility on your own.
Not sure what they're thinking. Protect my stuff!? That stuff is going to be mostly screwed if it does come. I could probably fit my actually important "stuff" in the back of my car on the way out.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Not sure what they're thinking. Protect my stuff!? That stuff is going to be mostly screwed if it does come. I could probably fit my actually important "stuff" in the back of my car on the way out.
A horse a horse my kingdom for a horse.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I can sort of relate to the non-evacuees. So many times they get it wrong. And you end up evacuating for nothing. Costly and a huge inconvenience.

I kind of relate it to us. We hear a tornado warning for our area and how many of us actually go down to our basement or wait until we feel like we're in immediate danger?

Not exactly the same, but I understand the decision is not easy-peasy.
A Tornado popping up in Iowa after they've had watches all day isn't quite the same as a Category 5 hurricane they've told you about 5 days in advance.

• Agree
Reactions: mkadl