Hunter Dekkers Commits

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
Seems like a guy who might not redshirt, just because you have to get him on the field somewhere.

Was everyone else recruiting him as a QB as well?
Ummm... Well he's not beating out Brock for the starting job. And he can get into 4 games at times to get some experience and still redshirt. I think what it comes down to is Dekkers and Bouman battling for the starting job when they are redshirt sophomores. Dekkers is somewhat similar to Brock with his arm and athleticism so he may have the upper hand.

I love the idea of Dekkers being used as a Lanning type of power runner early on until Brock graduates and the starting job is open, but you also don't want to burn a redshirt for 4-5 snaps a game.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I think the kid has too much potential to pass up.

I don't think the "Lanning package" stuff does him justice.

No, it probably doesn't. You don't make the Elite 11 finals if you can't throw pretty well. But, I do think that he could run the Lanning package pretty effectively. Anything above that is gravy to me.

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
Ummm... Well he's not beating out Brock for the starting job. And he can get into 4 games at times to get some experience and still redshirt. I think what it comes down to is Dekkers and Bouman battling for the starting job when they are redshirt sophomores. Dekkers is somewhat similar to Brock with his arm and athleticism so he may have the upper hand.

I love the idea of Dekkers being used as a Lanning type of power runner early on until Brock graduates and the starting job is open, but you also don't want to burn a redshirt for 4-5 snaps a game.

Wasn’t necessarily suggesting he’d take playing time from Brock.

CycloneFan97

Jun 19, 2017

Charles Power of 247Sports: Really nice deep ball from Hunter Dekkers. Mechanically clean especially for a lefty. Gets good power on his throws. A little behind on a crossing route. Tapered off a tad towards the end.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I haven’t seen all that much of Chubba’s highlights, but what I did impressed me.

If the staff likes Hunter as much as that, so much the better!

He is a dumbass
Pointing out that you did something stupid, and you getting butthurt about it, is not the definition of a “dumbass”.

Get over it. Or, are you thirteen or something?

CycloneFan97

Jun 19, 2017

Dekkers finishes second in the "longest throw" competition behind 4* Florida commit Anthony Richardson.

Here is what was said about Dekkers by 247: With the 6-2, 223-pound pro-style quarterback committed to Iowa State, he showed off a strong arm that fell just short of matching Richardson in the competition. The Cyclones landed a commitment from Dekkers last week, landing the in-state prospect over offers from Purdue, Indiana, Kansas State and others. The three-star prospect passed for 3,641 yards and 48 touchdowns to 10 interceptions last season en route to a second-straight state championship at West Sioux. 247Sports ranks Dekkers as the No. 21 overall dual-threat quarterback in the country, but with his showing so far this week, he could be poised to rise higher in the rankings as he takes aim at the state record books.

247Sports also has Dekkers ranked 8th among the QBs: Iowa State commit Hunter Dekkers of Hawarden (Iowa) West Sioux has one of the more powerful arms in the camp. The stout 6-foot-2, 225-pound prospect can drive the ball down the field with ease, but he also showed the ability to finesse passes into his receivers with touch as well.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011

Dekkers finishes second in the "longest throw" competition behind 4* Florida commit Anthony Richardson.

Here is what was said about Dekkers by 247: With the 6-2, 223-pound pro-style quarterback committed to Iowa State, he showed off a strong arm that fell just short of matching Richardson in the competition. The Cyclones landed a commitment from Dekkers last week, landing the in-state prospect over offers from Purdue, Indiana, Kansas State and others. The three-star prospect passed for 3,641 yards and 48 touchdowns to 10 interceptions last season en route to a second-straight state championship at West Sioux. 247Sports ranks Dekkers as the No. 21 overall dual-threat quarterback in the country, but with his showing so far this week, he could be poised to rise higher in the rankings as he takes aim at the state record books.

247Sports also has Dekkers ranked 8th among the QBs: Iowa State commit Hunter Dekkers of Hawarden (Iowa) West Sioux has one of the more powerful arms in the camp. The stout 6-foot-2, 225-pound prospect can drive the ball down the field with ease, but he also showed the ability to finesse passes into his receivers with touch as well.

Get back to me when he can jamarcus it 80 yards from his knee

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Charles Power of 247Sports: Really nice deep ball from Hunter Dekkers. Mechanically clean especially for a lefty. Gets good power on his throws. A little behind on a crossing route. Tapered off a tad towards the end.

1/3 in that snippet.

Concerns!!!!!

• Funny
Reactions: aobie

NDMARTIN2015

Jun 7, 2018
Des Moines
If he manages to stay in the top 11 he will surely get a 4th star. He's on track to break pretty much every QB record in the state of Iowa. Surprisingly the passing yards and completions record has been held by a guy from my high school for 11 years. He's on track to break the passing yards record by about 1000. Also, the record is held by a pass only offense, he's dual threat. Let that sink in.

ComCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 31, 2016

This video did not make me feel good about him as a QB... lol. I'm sure he's better than that tape suggests, but he underthrew a deep target and it was low, the guy had to stop running and bend over to catch. Then threw it too hard on a short slant. Then overthrew a bullet.

• Funny
Reactions: isutrevman

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
This video did not make me feel good about him as a QB... lol. I'm sure he's better than that tape suggests, but he underthrew a deep target and it was low, the guy had to stop running and bend over to catch. Then threw it too hard on a short slant. Then overthrew a bullet.

Gosh. It's like he's a high school teenager and not a 21 year old college senior

• Winner
Reactions: skibumspe

ComCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 31, 2016
Gosh. It's like he's a high school teenager and not a 21 year old college senior

Exactly. He's just a kid.

But people were saying he's really solid. Just pointing out that specific video didn't show much of that. There's gotta be a better one out there.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Exactly. He's just a kid.

But people were saying he's really solid. Just pointing out that specific video didn't show much of that. There's gotta be a better one out there.

Yeah, just giving you a hard time. There's better film for him out there or he wouldn't be at the Elite 11.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016

Lol that was not even close to "too hard on a short slant". That was a straight-up drop by the WR.

I was pleasantly surprised with the strength of his arm. That last throw was obviously overthrown, but it came flying out of his hand. No more Sam Richardsons, please.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

CycloneFan97

Jun 19, 2017
In the 7-on-7 portion today Dekkers went 10-16 with 4TDs, 1 INT, 2 sacks, and 1 fumble. One of the sacks was a ball released a little too late on what would've been a 40 yard TD.

Here is one of Dekkers TDs:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron