Howard Brown commits!

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
He is definitely a defensive player, but it would be fun to put him in on a couple short yardage situations. That is something ISU has really struggled with over the years. DM got a lot of first downs on just toughness, but other than that it has been hard sledding. BTW, 8 of those 10 KSU games that ISU lost in a row would have been won if ISU could have got one more first down.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
He is definitely a defensive player, but it would be fun to put him in on a couple short yardage situations. That is something ISU has really struggled with over the years. DM got a lot of first downs on just toughness, but other than that it has been hard sledding. BTW, 8 of those 10 KSU games that ISU lost in a row would have been won if ISU could have got one more first down.
Ask Re-al how wishing and hoping worked out for him

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Ask Re-al how wishing and hoping worked out for him

Re-al probably would have gotten some more playing time if he hadn't come to ISU the same time as Purdy. Still, I suspect that the coaches didn't have a ton of faith in him, because they didn't play him, even when Brock was clearly hurt.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
Re-al probably would have gotten some more playing time if he hadn't come to ISU the same time as Purdy. Still, I suspect that the coaches didn't have a ton of faith in him, because they didn't play him, even when Brock was clearly hurt.
Yeah I wish Re-al the best but he wasn't the answer for the pass-first offense. If the o-line was better in the run game I think he'd have been a more viable alternative. I hope he tears it up and proves me wrong at Temple.

Reactions: Pizzapitter

CycloneVet917

Jul 9, 2020
the fact that he plays qb is the best part. They say Tim Tebow played nose tackle in high school, I think it was for a game, but it feels relevant here.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
To be honest, what I’m most worried about is how Coach Heacock handles it when he realizes he’s going to be “forced” to use more four man fronts. He’s not a young man any more. :rolleyes:

Spoiler: I’m pretty sure he’s already got that figured out. Talk about an embarrassment of riches.... :)
Do you think we will see some 4-2-5 looks this year? We got a lot of experience returning in the secondary and I could see having just Rose and Vance at LB at times. Eisworth is kind of a LB/S hybrid anyways.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Do you think we will see some 4-2-5 looks this year? We got a lot of experience returning in the secondary and I could see having just Rose and Vance at LB at times. Eisworth is kind of a LB/S hybrid anyways.
Interesting that you asked. I was just putting something together about that, after looking at the roster.

A. CMC has said that Enyi will be spending more time at DT this year. Most people assume that’s at NT, but I’m not sure about that. He’s listed at 6’6” 310 now.

B. Last year they asked Tucker Robertson to keep his weight down, so he could play some end. This year he’s listed at 6’3” 296, which screams “no more DE” to me.

C. They asked Alex Kleinow to move to DT, where he’s now listed at 6’6” 317.

D. There’s already been word on here that Johnny Wilson will play this Fall. He’s listed at 6’2” 272, which doesn’t sound like a DE to me—especially down the road.

E. Josh Bailey and Isaiah Lee are back. At a listed 6’2” 288, Bailey kinda seems like more of a 3-technique guy than a space eater in the middle to me.

F. Latrell Bankston will be a factor somewhere. At 6’0” 300, he’ll be a disruptive force wherever he lines up.

G. Various sources have implied that J.R. Singleton has as much athletic potential as the obviously blatantly gifted T.J. Tampa. At a listed 6’2” 300, I’d hardly be surprised if he played as a true frosh.

Shoot, just with Enyi, Tucker, Josh, Isaiah and Latrell, that’s a guaranteed solid two deep at a NT/3-tech front right there—and the DE’s are still a plentifully plush position.

When I look at that, I don’t think recruiting Howard Brown and Tyler Onyedim is the basis for using more four man front, I think it’s the continuation of a plan to.

And as relatively thin in experience as the linebacking corps is right at the moment, combined with a deep secondary, spending time in a 4-2-5 fits right in with that. As you also noticed.

I think Coach Heacock spent his spare time this offseason at the proverbial drawing board. I guess we’ll see. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Gibbon

Aug 20, 2013
Ames

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
"“Coach [Matt] Campbell already said he’s putting in a couple of plays for me at QB,” Brown said."

QB sneak is coming!
tenor.gif

Reactions: Snydes and Gibbon

Help Support Us

Become a patron