Hotel horror stories

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny
Went to Manhattan, KS to watch ISU get rear-ended by K-State in football a few years back and found a pube on the bedsheet at the Motel 6

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
In Bangor, ME I stayed at the Holiday Inn near the airport. When I went to go to my room I opened the door and found a flight attendant taking a shower. Her uniform with skirt was on the bed. I quickly closed the door and got a new room.

Should have asked her if she needed a hand.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
Augusta, GA. We were there for the Masters and I'm pretty sure the hotel we stayed in was condemned but opened for that week only. The faucet would rise about six inches out of the sink when the water was turned on. The toilet tank wouldn't fill, we had to fill the trashcan with water and dump it in the tank to get rid of our business. There was a bar next door that had an outdoor stage that played music until 1am (we quickly wised up and just stayed at the bar until 1am). All of the outlets crackled when you plugged something in. The carpet was worn away in the walking areas and was just bare concrete.

Four guys, me the shortest at 6' 3", two nasty twin beds, lots of drinking and a malfunctioning toilet. I was hoping the place would burn down. I'm guessing by now it has.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
I used to travel an average of 210 nights on the road per year. In all my travels, I've had some doozies. Funny thing is, some of my worst cleanliness issues have come at some 4 & 5 star places. One of best experiences wss at a $20 a night self serve hotel in rural western SD.

In Bangor, ME I stayed at the Holiday Inn near the airport. When I went to go to my room I opened the door and found a flight attendant taking a shower. Her uniform with skirt was on the bed. I quickly closed the door and got a new room.

In Princeton, WV a colleague of my lost his room because the hotel was oversold. When he pressed the rather surly male attendant about it and pulled out his confirmation the attendant told him the he didn't care about his confirmation number and if he said one more thing he was going to come out from behind the desk and kick his *****. I went back and grabbed my coworker and we shared a room for the night. In the morning the manager comped our room for the night and my colleague got a voucher for two more free nights.

In Dry Ridge, KY I woke up to find the texture on my bathroom ceiling on the floor and the ceiling was soaked. Evidently the person a floor above slipped and hit their head and was unconscious and the tub overflowed. There were ambulances at the hotel moments after my call to the front desk.

Twice I have had my hand on my loaded hunting revolver while someone was trying to come into my room. Once it was at 2AM in Bennettsville, SC and I don't know the person's intent but I asked "Can I help you" and the person walked away.

The other time was in PA. I went to dinner at the hotel bar. I had a conversation with some regular looking dude. After dinner I didn't hang out. I just cashed out and headed for my room. I was on the 2nd floor so I hopped in the elevator. When the elevator got to my floor I jumped off and went to my room. I stuck in the key card and looked up. The dude from the bar was standing right there at a very uncomfortable distance well inside my comfort zone. I asked the guy "what's up?" The guy started saying how his buddy had this business and he would like some info on the chemicals I sold. I didn't respond, charged thought the door and slammed it behind me. I threw every lock on the door, grabbed my revolver and called the front desk. The attendant got the guy's license plate number and then the manager looked at the surveillance video. She said the guy left the bar shortly after I did, ran up the stairs, and was right behind me in the hallway. I don't know what the dude had in mind but I was very angry with myself. I wasn't aware of my surroundings. Now I am continually looking over my shoulder and around corners when I head to the hotel. I always throw every lock regardless of how long I am in the room and I always turn on every light.

The years I was traveling heavy I was more sick than I had ever been. I don't miss it very often.

What was your business? Im guessing something in ag because of all the small towns?

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
We went to a wedding in New Hampton Iowa and stayed at this **** hole. It was the recommended place as it was right by the reception so nobody had to drive.

Nothing of note happened that was bad during the stay (got wasted, Hella fun wedding), but we took bed bugs home with us.

Worse experience ever.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Tower Motel Dickeyville, Wi. We played softball in Kieler and stayed there after a binge at Gooch's Greenhouse. Place smelled like death. Wood floors even. Used my ball bag as a pillow and slept on the floor.

Dickeyville even has a hotel? **** man, I'd have walked to Dubuque at that point.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
wtf? The landlord just felt like leaving a bloodstain for aesthetics?

well it had been bleached and stuff but the carpeting hadn't been changed. IDK, I didn't ask many questions that night. She said it looked like what had been a blood stain and I believed cause I'd seen the stain on their apt steps. Pretty sure friend slept on top of the covers.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I actually found a strip of condoms under the bed at the Memorial Union in the morning after a stay. I didn't look too close.

Actually this could be looked at as a perk like shampoo, soap, coffee, etc.. Safety 1st nice of hotel management to provide them. :)

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
In my wilder days I put a bunch of Cheerios on the ceiling fan in our room so that the next occupants would get Cheerios instead of cool air.

sweetiecy

Sep 24, 2009
Ankeny
Like you, I traveled 200+ nights for many years....and have a ton of stories about hotels. There were nights I didn't sleep & one where I moved nearly all of the furniture in the room to block the door. Dirty sheets, rooms already occupied, prostitutes down the hall...the norm.

My husband rarely traveled for his job, but he has the best story:

One night he checked into a hotel where he had stayed in the past. It was rather late as he had dinner/drinks with a client first. After retrieving his luggage from the car, he headed to the room which was up the elevator and about as far from the front desk as you could get. Opens the door, flips on the light...and...nothing. So, he ventures in, finds the bathroom light & turns it on. Room is ENTIRELY empty. No furniture, no carpet, no tub, sink or toilet.

Front desk up on his return: "Is there a problem with your room?" LOL

WoodCy

Feb 28, 2014
Atkins, IA
Sorry about that. Forgot to reply to the message where the person asked if I worked in Ag. I wasn't in Ag. I sold wood preservatives.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I used to travel an average of 210 nights on the road per year. In all my travels, I've had some doozies. Funny thing is, some of my worst cleanliness issues have come at some 4 & 5 star places. One of best experiences wss at a $20 a night self serve hotel in rural western SD.

In Princeton, WV a colleague of my lost his room because the hotel was oversold. When he pressed the rather surly male attendant about it and pulled out his confirmation the attendant told him the he didn't care about his confirmation number and if he said one more thing he was going to come out from behind the desk and kick his *****. I went back and grabbed my coworker and we shared a room for the night. In the morning the manager comped our room for the night and my colleague got a voucher for two more free nights.

In Dry Ridge, KY I woke up to find the texture on my bathroom ceiling on the floor and the ceiling was soaked. Evidently the person a floor above slipped and hit their head and was unconscious and the tub overflowed. There were ambulances at the hotel moments after my call to the front desk.

Twice I have had my hand on my loaded hunting revolver while someone was trying to come into my room. Once it was at 2AM in Bennettsville, SC and I don't know the person's intent but I asked "Can I help you" and the person walked away.

The other time was in PA. I went to dinner at the hotel bar. I had a conversation with some regular looking dude. After dinner I didn't hang out. I just cashed out and headed for my room. I was on the 2nd floor so I hopped in the elevator. When the elevator got to my floor I jumped off and went to my room. I stuck in the key card and looked up. The dude from the bar was standing right there at a very uncomfortable distance well inside my comfort zone. I asked the guy "what's up?" The guy started saying how his buddy had this business and he would like some info on the chemicals I sold. I didn't respond, charged thought the door and slammed it behind me. I threw every lock on the door, grabbed my revolver and called the front desk. The attendant got the guy's license plate number and then the manager looked at the surveillance video. She said the guy left the bar shortly after I did, ran up the stairs, and was right behind me in the hallway. I don't know what the dude had in mind but I was very angry with myself. I wasn't aware of my surroundings. Now I am continually looking over my shoulder and around corners when I head to the hotel. I always throw every lock regardless of how long I am in the room and I always turn on every light.

The years I was traveling heavy I was more sick than I had ever been. I don't miss it very often.

Had similar happen to us in Hollywood FL. Seems a family "of Foreign Extraction" as Mrs. Bucket would say - were in the room above. And evidently where they were from people were not familiar with the concept of the shower curtain. Woke up in the middle of the night to the sound of water dripping from the light fixture in the bathroom. Moved to a different room.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I once checked into a motel in rural southern Iowa. I was in college and on the road working on my internship. The hotel had like a dozen rooms, an old ma and pa joint. Dried up swimming pool, old building.

It was the style where it is one story and you enter all the rooms from the outside. I got my key, opened up my room - and walked into see a cat giving birth to a litter of kittens. So I changed rooms. The owners didn't seem surprised at all.

Dude, what lonely traveler isn't wishing for a little ***** in his room?

Edit: ***** is another word for a kitty cat. Sometimes also used for female private parts.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
I stayed at a Days Inn in Dubuque once on a work trip. We were hanging out in the hotel lounge having a few drinks when we noticed a few people looking out the window and pointing at something. We go over to check it out and see a very large rat swimming around in the pool.

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008
I'm never staying in a hotel again.

1) never lay on the comforter--or pull it up to your face. Pull it away from rest of your covers upon arrival

2) Bathroom sink includes a drinking cup made of glass? Never ever drink out of a glass cup. I only drink out of a plastic cup and it must come sealed in plastic

I don't care if it's a 4-5 star hotel

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008
Dude, what lonely traveler isn't wishing for a little ***** in his room?

Edit: ***** is another word for a kitty cat. Sometimes also used for female private parts.

The few Days Inns I have stayed in are franchised and owned by nice eastern Indian folks

Unfortunately they have no concept of hotel cleanliness.

We once were at a Days Inn in St Cloud, Mn in the dead of winter. The room sucked and we were next to the pool entrance door--where families going in and out-- well past closing time.

Sucks when you really need to sleep. We packed up at midnight, demanded our money back--and drove to a minneapolis suburb and got another hotel ... lol