Home Meal Delivery Services

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I've done Blue Apron for 3 or 4 years. I really like it.

• Informative
Reactions: Acylum

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
We’ve done Blue Apron for the past 3 years. We enjoy the options and rarely do anything we wouldn’t do again. Taught us new cooking techniques and introduced me to some wonderful culinary combinations.

• Informative
Reactions: Acylum

Cycho1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 18, 2008
Barrington Hills, IL
I figured I'd bump this thread to get updates on recommendations on meal delivery services. My fiancée and I are interested in simplifying our meal planning. We both are decent cooks, but are in a bit of a rut with recipes. She has gluten and nut allergies, I will eat pretty much anything and everything. Any recommendations?

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Bumping this. Any updates on favorite meal delivery services? We PREFER to eat at home but we're terrible about stocking up on groceries. Thinking about trying meal delivery just a couple days a week. Also might sign my kids up, who room together at college and maybe a couple meals a week they actually won't waste their money on Door Dash.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I'd really like to do something like this. Like the previous poster, we've hit a rut in dinner choices and seem to rotate about the same 5 things. Not sure if we need a food delivery service or some sort of recipe idea program.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
Bumping this. Any updates on favorite meal delivery services? We PREFER to eat at home but we're terrible about stocking up on groceries. Thinking about trying meal delivery just a couple days a week. Also might sign my kids up, who room together at college and maybe a couple meals a week they actually won't waste their money on Door Dash.

We have done Home Chef and Factor. Nothing wrong with either, but got monotonous. We dropped them and are doing Daily Harvest now. We can recommend Daily Harvest, but they are not complete meals with a protein. Very good for breakfast (smoothies) and lunch (bowls/soups/baked meals). Organic and low cal.

• Dumb
Reactions: Macloney

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX

I like Hello Fresh. I don't remember having anything that I didn't like, and have saved several recipes to make myself later. I usually shut it off in weeks where I know I'm going to be busy or traveling, and then turn it back on. Funny thing is that if you shut it off they'll send you an offer to send you like 16-free meals to start back up.

• Agree
Reactions: RLD4ISU and SCNCY

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I like Hello Fresh. I don't remember having anything that I didn't like, and have saved several recipes to make myself later. I usually shut it off in weeks where I know I'm going to be busy or traveling, and then turn it back on. Funny thing is that if you shut it off they'll send you an offer to send you like 16-free meals to start back up.

In the past, I've done Blue Apron and Hello Fresh. Of the two, I liked Hello Fresh better. I will say that I haven't done one of these in a while though, probably 2 years since I've subscribed to one.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Become like school lunches and make a schedule. Figure out what you want for the week and then you can go once a week to the store and together that night or morning, make 3-5 meals for the week and freeze them for a quick make that day. Then it's just hitting the store to grab fresh produce or things.

If you schedule it out, you can call or online shop small town to large town grocery stores and they will either deliver it to you or have it ready for you just to drive through and pick it up. After you have done this for a month or so, you have your basic go to's and then create and try something new each week that you either say stinks or you put that into your rotation. Honestly you can get through about 4 weeks and not repeat any meal if you don't want to.

packattack425

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 25, 2010
Des Moines
We had to cancel Hello Fresh. We had consistent problems with meat packages leaking and getting meat juice on produce. While getting a refund was easy, you didn’t have a meal. Seems to be a common problem with Hello Fresh of meat thawing and leaking.

Freaking meat juice…am I right?

*my wife and I also ordered meal size of four people so we had leftovers. Something to consider.

danielyp29

Jan 3, 2011
Ames
I've tried Plated and Home Chef. Both are little pricey compared to home cooked meal per serving, but it's a nice replacement for not having to go out to enjoy some new food. Quality depends on how well you cook it but the recipes themselves are pretty interesting. It seemed fairly flexible and we could skip weeks if we didn't want to. I can't speak to all subscriptions, but the customer service for Plated was very good to work with when we had an issue with delivery, which wasn't their fault, but Plated no longer does the meal delivery after the sale to Albertson's.

We stopped after few month of Plated and maybe a few weeks of trial for Home chef, but we've saved the recipe cards we liked got so we could just make it from scratch for cheaper. The main difficulty about doing that, though, is everything in the meal kit is pre measured in special sized cans or packets, so if you plan on doing that it might be worth documenting those. It also seemed like both had few sets of recipes they recycled often, so if you're hoping to try various different recipes, it might be worth hopping around to various options and check out different recipes with their new customer discount deals that always exist.

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
There are meal plans now that are pre-cooked. Just heat and serve.
Schwan's has been selling home delivery meals for decades. While spendy, they are still less expensive than Blue Apron, Hello Fresh, and all these other home delivery outfits just now joining the party.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Schwan's has been selling home delivery meals for decades. While spendy, they are still less expensive than Blue Apron, Hello Fresh, and all these other home delivery outfits just now joining the party.

Schwans is pretty much all frozen and/or already cooked, right? Hello Fresh is fresh ingredients that you use to make recipes from scratch (essentially). Doesn't really seem like an apples to apples comparison.

And I'm not sure how much Schwan's stuff costs, but you almost have to try to pay full price for Hello Fresh. Our last order cost $60 for 3 meals at 4 servings each. The couple orders before that were $51 each, must have had better promos. We don't use them consistently, but will get a couple weeks each quarter or so.

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
Schwans is pretty much all frozen and/or already cooked, right? Hello Fresh is fresh ingredients that you use to make recipes from scratch (essentially). Doesn't really seem like an apples to apples comparison.

And I'm not sure how much Schwan's stuff costs.....
So you believe Hello Fresh buys all of their meat and produce in a fresh state?
It's a free market, but what you're paying for is portion control package food sold as fresh, with a fancy enclosed recipe. Like Schwan's, their selling convenience, but with a steeper up charge.

HGoat1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Used to do Hello Fresh, all the meals were good, but it was expensive.

I've started using the https://www.eatthismuch.com/ to do my meal planning. It is pretty self explanatory, you input what type of diet(calories, macros, and any food restrictions) you'd like to eat and how many meals per day. It generates meal planing for every day and then I can import the groceries I need directly to instantcart. I just show up at the grocery store and everything I need is for that week is there. It has saved me a ton of time and money, and has some good recipes so far. It doesn't always do a good job tracking the actual number of each ingredient you need so i do have to make some manual adjustments after the groceries are imported into instantcart.