Hiking

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
What are some of the best hikes/hiking destinations and views that you have experienced in your life that you feel others should partake in?? I love mountains and those type of views and my wife loves beaches and relaxation. I've always been a fan of hiking, so just curious of what fellow CF people have done.

The top ones I've experienced in no particular order:

1) Trolltunga - Norway. This is about a 17 mile hike and is somewhat intense. You end it with a nice view of the Norwegian Fjords by being able to stand on a protruding rock. It's a pretty sweet view and easily the best hike I've ever done.

2) Delicate Arch - Utah. I enjoyed this hike because I did it following sunset and ended up being up there by myself after a few left around midnight. This was a difficult hike though once it became dark. The way back was much easier than the way up. But I was able to peacefully enjoy shooting the milky way.

3) Flat Irons - Boulder Colorado - We weren't able to complete the entire trek due to snow coming down heavily, but it was a pretty cool hike nonetheless.

4) Arthurs Seat - Edinburgh, Scotland. I enjoyed this reasonably easy hike that produced nice panoramic views of the city below. I would recommend this if anyone ever makes it over the pond.

5)Pipiwai Trail - Maui, Hawaii - This was pretty cool being able to see the older banyan tree along with walking through bamboo on the way to a nice waterfall.

Some places that would be cool to see - Patagonia, Glacier National Park, Banff, AB., Machu Picchu.

Yaz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 29, 2018
Taking my daughter, an ISU grad in 2019, to the Grand Tetons this fall for hiking and Flyfishing. Already bought new hiking shoes and a 22L daypack. Looking forward to it!

Reactions: NWICY and simply1

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Quick thoughts Arthur's Seat was cool, would add 3 sisters, Pap of Glencoe in Scotland as well. Napali on Kauai was amazing. Want to get back to do those in the Hanalei region.

Closer to home - Devil's Lake is always great. Also love Peninsula State Park.

Lots of places I'd love to hike someday.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
Don’t remember names of trails but below are a few of my favorite one.

Spent a couple days hiking the connector trails and loops around the Cape Town and Camps Bay area of South Africa. Camps Bay is one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever been. Beaches at the base of mountains and clouds pouring over the mountains like a waterfall the whole time.

Foot path hiking around the Wye Valley along the border of England and Wales. One of the couple areas I’ve walked the foot paths in the UK. Cool way to see the country.

Minnesota north shore. Too many good ones to list. Plus great fly fishing while hiking.

Iowa Specific

Brent’s Trail in Loess Hills

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Olympic National Park in Washington is pretty cool. Went there on a work trip and stayed over the weekend. If I remember correctly, there are some hot springs. Stunk like sulphur, but pretty neat to see.

I liked hiking Palo Duro Canyon in the Texas panhandle. Nothing too tough elevation wise, but the dry heat can get you.

There's a few neat places where we live, but nothing to plan a trip around. Like if you were in the area for one reason, it'd be worth tacking on.

DJSteve

Apr 29, 2010
Ames
www.stevesmobilemusic.com
Sky Pond hike in RMNP is one of my all-time favorites. You're above the treeline pretty quickly and get some really great views. Or if you want something shorter, Nymph-Dream-Emerald Lake hike in the same area of RMNP is one of the best return on effort hikes I've ever been on.

Hemmed in Hollow waterfall in NW Arkansas.

Beehive trail at Acadia in Maine I also remember being pretty cool.

I also generally liked Grand Teton, and Bighorn National forest

I've been to and hiked some in Yellowstone, Yosemite, Northern Cascades & Olympic NPs, also... found most of the hikes there decent but not great, mostly because a lot were in the forest with fewer panoramic views. I thought Arches and Canyonlands were decent, but hot... and nothing but rocks gets a little boring after a while.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: BACyclone and NWICY

Yaz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 29, 2018
I'll add that I've ridden to Glacier Lake in Oregon (Cycle Oregon) and it was spectacular. May see if there are hiking trails because the reward was awesome.

Reactions: NWICY

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I've done a lot of hiking/backpacking all over the Sierras. Yosemite/King's Canyon/Sequoia NP but also the eastern Sierras and Tahoe area that are equally beautiful in several places. Parts of the PCT/JMT and all of High Sierra Trail and up Mnt Whitney several times.

Outside of that area I can drive to pretty easily my other life highlights are:
- Teton Rim Trail, did this as 4 day backpacking loop but I'd recommend it as national park with widest total range of outdoor activities beyond just hiking, you can do virtually any outdoor thrill seeking imaginable
- Grand Canyon can be amazing for novice to very advanced if you plan it right, imho relaxing by Colorado River at the bottom is more beautiful than any tropical island. Has to be right time of year for sure.
- Mnt Rainier, didn't summit but it's a life goal, hiked to camp muir and back
- Zion Narrows top down, this way is a ton of logistics and permit hell but it's amazing because the top half you are nearly completely alone, really dangerous for knees/ankles. Bottom up is fun too but lots of crowds.
- Big Sur, just some random trails up and down the area. Camping/backpacking is the only way to go because the hotels/motels are laughably expensive.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I'll add that I've ridden to Glacier Lake in Oregon (Cycle Oregon) and it was spectacular. May see if there are hiking trails because the reward was awesome.

I think Oregon has a lot of great lesser known places that are pretty underrated compared to CA, Utah and coastal WA. We found some places there by pure accident on our west coast road trip to Canada that could have been the destination by themselves.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Taking my daughter, an ISU grad in 2019, to the Grand Tetons this fall for hiking and Flyfishing. Already bought new hiking shoes and a 22L daypack. Looking forward to it!

My favorite spot on Teton Rim Trail was Holly Lake, it was late Sept. It's 13 mile out and back so possible without overnight but a good challenge. There were TONS of little pikas and if you sat still long enough they'd accept you and just hang out around you.

Random but the night before our backpacking trip we camped at the same campsite where Gabby Petito and Brian Laundrie were on the night of that murder. It was kind of wild when we got back to civilization four days later and everybody was talking about it.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY and Yaz

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
All over Denali national park, all over colorado. Around the mid west Haha Tonka state park in Missouri. I also did the crater in Maui. All over K Bay Area in Hawaii. Basically the whole base at Camp Pendleton

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I've done a lot of hiking/backpacking all over the Sierras. Yosemite/King's Canyon/Sequoia NP but also the eastern Sierras and Tahoe area that are equally beautiful in several places. Parts of the PCT/JMT and all of High Sierra Trail and up Mnt Whitney several times.

Outside of that area I can drive to pretty easily my other life highlights are:
- Teton Rim Trail, did this as 4 day backpacking loop but I'd recommend it as national park with widest total range of outdoor activities beyond just hiking, you can do virtually any outdoor thrill seeking imaginable
- Grand Canyon can be amazing for novice to very advanced if you plan it right, imho relaxing by Colorado River at the bottom is more beautiful than any tropical island. Has to be right time of year for sure.
- Mnt Rainier, didn't summit but it's a life goal, hiked to camp muir and back
- Zion Narrows top down, this way is a ton of logistics and permit hell but it's amazing because the top half you are nearly completely alone, really dangerous for knees/ankles. Bottom up is fun too but lots of crowds.
- Big Sur, just some random trails up and down the area. Camping/backpacking is the only way to go because the hotels/motels are laughably expensive.

I did Mountain warfare school in Bridgeport, California and the Sierra Nevada are underrated. Lots of good hikes there

Reactions: NWICY and HFCS

dfwcy

Oct 20, 2008
Quick thoughts Arthur's Seat was cool, would add 3 sisters, Pap of Glencoe in Scotland as well. Napali on Kauai was amazing. Want to get back to do those in the Hanalei region.

Closer to home - Devil's Lake is always great. Also love Peninsula State Park.

Lots of places I'd love to hike someday.
Kalalau Trail? That is an amazing hike. Truly special IMO. Several great ones in Glacier national Park.

Cool one in Volcanoes National Park through a crater, feels like you are on the moon.

Going to Maui in the fall and hoping to get in a couple nice hikes in the NP there.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I don’t remember the exact trails but Arches National Park. I also have a fond memory of hiking through Gunnison in CO to a restaurant called Frenchies in Tincup. The trail goes up over the continental divide.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm and NWICY

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Kalalau Trail? That is an amazing hike. Truly special IMO. Several great ones in Glacier national Park.

Cool one in Volcanoes National Park through a crater, feels like you are on the moon.

Going to Maui in the fall and hoping to get in a couple nice hikes in the NP there.

No, that was flooded out the night we landed. Closed for a couple years IIRC. We did the Awaawapuhi Trail.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Flat Irons are cool but I prefer many of the RMNP trails like Bear Lake, Ouzel Falls, and have had the best luck moose spotting in Cub lake.

Picture Rocks in the UP is another family favorite. Prefer to do it late summer when it’s hot. There are a couple good points in the hike, which I think is about 12-13 mile where you can cool off in the water. One is a beach with a stream going into Superior. The other is a massive limestone shelf in the water.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I don’t remember the exact trails but Arches National Park. I also have a fond memory of hiking through Gunnison in CO to a restaurant called Frenchies in Tincup. The trail goes up over the continental divide.
Black Canyon of Gunnison is pretty cool.

Reactions: aauummm and NWICY