Help me shake my pessimisim

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I hope you are right...I'll trust you as I enjoy your input around here. I was happy with all the early commits before the season started so you may have something here.

I probably shouldn't have ragged on the recruiting class...honestly, what the hell do I know? The lack of BCS offers is really all I've got...then again I should expect our classes to pretty much always be undervalued.

That's all understandable. The thing is, with a lot of these recruits, they ended up getting some BCS offers or at very least some interest later on. That means we are getting to these guys early while everyone is missing on the highly touted guys. In terms of recruiting, look at this. We have a recruit that listed, Alabama, Arkansas, Michigan, Auburn and ISU as it's favorites. When's the last time that happened? We were that kids first contact. It looks like it's us and Michigan. The people at Michigan think he's underrated. It may be just one or two guys a class, but they could be huge difference makers. Things are changing. Slowly? Yes, but changing nontheless. Now, if we could just get facilities that fall in line with the others we get even better.

LutherClone

Dec 15, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
This year or in program position? Right now, I will take where we are over KU, KSU, Baylor and TTU. KSU is unstable with a 184 year old coaching. TTU is unstable because Tuberville will leave if a big job comes and Baylor is Baylor. I suppose Baylor could become awesome but I just see them as looked down upon in their state among 4 other schools. You give us a little more money and we close gaps on everyone else. That money means a ton more for us than it does Texas and Oklahoma.
Amen. I'm holding my breath until the TV deal shakes out...

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I just don't see Texas going the Independent route. Oklahoma either. They have it the way they want it now. Win the Conference in a Round Robin. And no Title game. The Big XII could be looking at two BCS bids every year now.

The way our non-conference schedule was this year and playing 2 BCS schools, we just as well play everyone in Conference.

More money helps us more than Texas and Oklahoma. They have all the money they can spend. We don't.

sogocat

Nov 15, 2009
yaman3, specifically what football facilities are lacking in order for us to bring in better recruits and what does Iowa have that ISU does not. How will the extra TV money help in recruiting

Feb 20, 2009
It should. It takes much longer to build a football program. Too many players involved to do it quickly. In basketball, if you get one or two guys, you can get it turned around for the most part. Just give football time. We have 12 wins over the last two years with mediocre-at-best QB and defensive play. Let's get some stability, have some consistency in scheme and coaching practices and see where we are in another 3-4 years. I like where we are right now.

Fixed it for ya

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
What a bunch of self-loathing, whinny cry babies.

We were a failed execution in overtime against Nebraska from beating three of the Big XII's top programs. We held our own against a very good Missouri team. The gap is hardly as wide as some of you make it seem.

Paul Rhoads is in his second season. He hasn't even had a chance to play with his own recruits.

There are countless examples of disadvantaged programs that have risen from the ashes. Quit buying in to the dogma that it can't be done at ISU. Do your part by supporting this program instead of proclaiming the grass would be greener on the other side of the fence.

Reactions: JUKEBOX and Rogue52

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I can't help with the pessimism. I guess, that teams like KSU and MU, TT and KU are all looking at the same thing we are and trying to figure out how to soften the non-conference schedule to make up for the additional conference game. I hate to say it but it might come down to dropping Iowa for a real cupcake. Not that Iowa is scarry, but they are pretty good, and when there are already 8 BCS teams on the schedule, with some of them being scarry, there just is not room for error in getting to a bowl game.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
The health of these conferences is very similar to the health of our country IMO.

When those at the top (Texas), take the lions share of the wealth in the system, it is a very shaky system that will eventually crumble. That is where the Big 12 is at. Only the top few programs are really "healthy" at all... so the overall system is not "healthy".

But look at the Big 10 where they share the revenue. Yes, you still have some programs that are always better than the others (Ohio St vs. Indiana for example), but even teams like Indiana and Minnesota are making HUGE capital improvements to their stadiums, etc because they have the money to do so. The difference in revenue between OSU and Indiana is much smaller than the difference between Texas and ISU. That is why the Big 10 is so strong and succesful. You are only as strong as you're weakest link.

If ISU was in the Big 10, we'd be WAY better off. But since we're in the Big 12... Texas gets everything.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
Jeez, a few weeks ago people on here were worried that Rhoads was taking his talets to the East coast, now we are ready to assume he wont make it based on the new Big 12? Do people remember that in two years he has gone 7-6 and 5-7 with the same players that a coach that is now play in the NC could only win 5 games with in as many years? The guy may not have 5* talent but he sure as hell knows defense and with the returning players next season we may have one of the best defenses in the Big 12. And who's to say Barnett or Jantz does not take this QB position and take off with it? QB and WR play over the last two seasons have been beyond bad and have held this team back, insert an new QB and finally some new WRs and maybe the offense comes to life. Dont write off Rhoads until he gets his own players in his system, if that does not work, then go from there.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
The first step to turning the corner with this program, now that we have a round-robin conference schedule and one less OOC game to play, is to dump the Iowa series. There will be a lot of fans that don't like it, but it is something we simply have to do.

Our team went 3-5 in the conference this year. Two of the teams we played this year will not be on the conference schedule next year, and instead they will be replaced with 3 teams that we would not have been able to beat this year. Baylor is the one team we may have been able to compete with, but we wouldn't have beaten them. With the round-robin schedule coming up we absolutely must, MUST....go 3-0 in the OOC games. That means getting rid of Iowa and scheduling the Eastern Illinois' and South Dakota Techs of the world.

Bowl games and the extra practices and exposure that goes along with them are more important than getting over on Iowa once every few years.

yoteforever

Dec 24, 2008
This thread, along with several others too numerous to mention, are exactly why Iowa State has difficulty climbing out of a hole. The overall fanbase at Iowa State is negative. Schools over time get labeled as coaches graveyards, and Iowa State is one of them. Most coaches come here to die.

I sincerely don't know what it is with you all, but quite frankly you don't deserve a winner. Even when you have success, you find ways to diminish it. Look at the mens basketball forums and threads. For Gods sake, Hoiberg is 12-2. Granted, it isn't a top 10 schedule, but he is 12-2. Yet, 75% of the posters say things like..."wait until Big 12 play when other teams come in with this and that and whatever, we are in trouble then." Hoiberg can't win. The arguments are stupid and baseless.

For years, kansas State was a coaches graveyard. Then they hired Snyder and he made them a national power. When he retired, they drifted back again. Then he starts again, and they are bowl bound again. And they (the fans) back that program till the bitter end.

What I am saying in all this is that Iowa State will never be a national power i anything with how they think now. And if for some darned reason they did, if the fanbase doesn't change, that coach will leave Iowa State for another garden. That is a given. Negative fan Karma drives down coaches as well as others, and Iowa State is full of it. Good God, the students don't even go to basketball games unless they are given something free. That is complete BS. Hilton Colliseum should be "on fire" every game like it is a KU, or K State, but it isn't.

There is a growing level of being lethargic at Iowa State and I for one don't like it. I sat on the 40 yard line of the west side this fall and all I heard was ********. Nothing positive. Complained about this. Complained about that. Whine, *****, and moan. People are ****** because Pollard didn't do this, or Geoffrey didn't do that. I am so sick of it myself but I don't want to give it up.

I have said in prior posts, and will say again. If you want Paul and Fred to succeed, attitudes have to change. How to get those attitudes to change, I just don't know anymore. Everybody is so impatient or lethargic. As much as I love Iowa State and I do, I don't think I would coach here.

I would like peoples thoughts on how it can be changed. Maybe no one agree with me, and that's ok as well. But I for one believe we need to change and CHANGE NOW.

Reactions: CYinPA and JUKEBOX

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
This thread, along with several others too numerous to mention, are exactly why Iowa State has difficulty climbing out of a hole. The overall fanbase at Iowa State is negative. Schools over time get labeled as coaches graveyards, and Iowa State is one of them. Most coaches come here to die.

I sincerely don't know what it is with you all, but quite frankly you don't deserve a winner. Even when you have success, you find ways to diminish it. Look at the mens basketball forums and threads. For Gods sake, Hoiberg is 12-2. Granted, it isn't a top 10 schedule, but he is 12-2. Yet, 75% of the posters say things like..."wait until Big 12 play when other teams come in with this and that and whatever, we are in trouble then." Hoiberg can't win. The arguments are stupid and baseless.

For years, kansas State was a coaches graveyard. Then they hired Snyder and he made them a national power. When he retired, they drifted back again. Then he starts again, and they are bowl bound again. And they (the fans) back that program till the bitter end.

What I am saying in all this is that Iowa State will never be a national power i anything with how they think now. And if for some darned reason they did, if the fanbase doesn't change, that coach will leave Iowa State for another garden. That is a given. Negative fan Karma drives down coaches as well as others, and Iowa State is full of it. Good God, the students don't even go to basketball games unless they are given something free. That is complete BS. Hilton Colliseum should be "on fire" every game like it is a KU, or K State, but it isn't.

There is a growing level of being lethargic at Iowa State and I for one don't like it. I sat on the 40 yard line of the west side this fall and all I heard was ********. Nothing positive. Complained about this. Complained about that. Whine, *****, and moan. People are ****** because Pollard didn't do this, or Geoffrey didn't do that. I am so sick of it myself but I don't want to give it up.

I have said in prior posts, and will say again. If you want Paul and Fred to succeed, attitudes have to change. How to get those attitudes to change, I just don't know anymore. Everybody is so impatient or lethargic. As much as I love Iowa State and I do, I don't think I would coach here.

I would like peoples thoughts on how it can be changed. Maybe no one agree with me, and that's ok as well. But I for one believe we need to change and CHANGE NOW.
Great post and this leads to our horrible attendance.

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
I think we just need to be patient and look for continued improvement. When you think about it, Rhoads deserves at least a B+ or A- for the job he's done. We've gone from 2-10 under Chizik to 7-6 and 5-7 with ISU probably being the best 5-7 team in the country this season. Things won't get any easier next season but I don't think they'll get any more difficult either. Let's not forget that we played 8 bowl teams this season (NIU, Utah, Iowa, KSU, TTU, OU, NU and MU) and played 5 of them extremely well. The Nebraska game was a killer for the fans and probably some of the players too but I don't think Rhoads will let this team feel sorry for itself.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA

Oh please. Enough of the hyperbole. Stanford has become a national football power with the most lethargic, apathetic fan base in America. Why? They have the right coach. See, what matters is the "attitudes" of the coaches and players, and what goes on in practices, games, meetings, and everything within the program.
People need to quit elevating the importance of the fans, and what they think, relating to wins/losses.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
The first step to turning the corner with this program, now that we have a round-robin conference schedule and one less OOC game to play, is to dump the Iowa series. There will be a lot of fans that don't like it, but it is something we simply have to do.
Bull ****.

Weak, situational rationalizing. Also completely ignorant of the realities of an Iowa-ISU gate.

What we really have to do is simply start beating them again. Duh.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
The health of these conferences is very similar to the health of our country IMO.

When those at the top (Texas), take the lions share of the wealth in the system, it is a very shaky system that will eventually crumble. That is where the Big 12 is at. Only the top few programs are really "healthy" at all... so the overall system is not "healthy".

But look at the Big 10 where they share the revenue. Yes, you still have some programs that are always better than the others (Ohio St vs. Indiana for example), but even teams like Indiana and Minnesota are making HUGE capital improvements to their stadiums, etc because they have the money to do so. The difference in revenue between OSU and Indiana is much smaller than the difference between Texas and ISU. That is why the Big 10 is so strong and succesful. You are only as strong as you're weakest link.

If ISU was in the Big 10, we'd be WAY better off. But since we're in the Big 12... Texas gets everything.

Yes, I know the United States became a super power because it's policies of redistribution of wealth. Texas has everything. You're right! And they enjoyed a successful season at 5-7.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
It's tough to shake pessimism when it comes to ISU football. We haven't exactly had a lot in our history to make us think we're capable of better than average results. In our history, our best years have been barely better than average. We have a litany of reasons why we should stay near the bottom:

1- 2nd school in a small state with not a lot of HS athletes.
2- Cold climate making it hard to get talent from southern states.
3- Small fan/alumni base
4- Close to the bottom in BCS facilities
5- Very little name recognition outside of the midwest
6- Close to the bottom in financial support

BUT, we do have PR and JP. I think these two can propel us to a higher level than we've seen before.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Don't get me wrong, I love attending ISU's low-end bowl games, but I'd rather play Iowa any given year than play in some 6 win type bowl game.

Reactions: Tornado man

Help Support Us

Become a patron