Votes: 118 30.5%
  • No

Votes: 269 69.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I’ve been around for a few coaches and I’m definitely getting that feeling. McDermott, McCarney, Rhoads, Prohm. Not going to include guys like Morgan, Fred, or Chizik as those were different/very short term situations. Obviously Larry was a unique situation as well.

I’ve had this feeling before and while we’re not totally rotted out (there’s a chance CMC could bounce back a la Kirk Ferentz), I think the “rot” has definitely started to sneak in, if only just a little bit, especially with the gambling issue and it’s direct contradiction to the “5-Star Culture” mantra.
Stupid is as stupid does.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
This is kind of the point of the thread and my OP. This is ISU, it’s been proven over and over that time is not our friend and every time we waste time we get just incrementally more behind the 8 ball. We’re a classic 1 step forward, 2 steps back school for a variety of reasons.

I think TJ can be a cycle stopper there for one reason: he is truly an ELITE recruiter. I don’t know where CMC falls on the levels of recruiters but it is certainly not elite level by any stretch of the imagination.
I kind of get what you're saying. But why is this conversation necessary now? It's two games into the season, with every goal that could have been expected for this team still entirely possible. To this point, the season's biggest disappointment is losing a game that is so notoriously ugly and unpredictive of the teams' records that it was nicknamed "El Assico" before Campbell even got to Iowa State.

Is there any harm in waiting two weeks to start discussing whether Campbell is on an irreversible slide? I'm not even asking you to wait until we're halfway through the season. Just at least let them get into Big 12 play first, then you can start digging Campbell's grave, if you still think it's necessary.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I think it is an over reaction at this point but I accept that it's more than just losing to Iowa for those folks.

It's knowing you haven't replaced skill positions with players as good as just left in the last couple seasons. It's the feeling that a defense is being wasted. It's an acknowledgement that, despite making needed changes in the staff on the offensive side of the ball, the head coach will always want a ball control scheme. It's knowing this scheme, employed here, isn't as effective as it is at schools we play against, because ISU is more prone to mistakes because of how young they are. It's KU being offensively solid and saw immediate results on that side of the ball with their hire. It's Campbell consistently brushing off concerns getting under their skins a little bit. AND it's losing to Iowa.
Why are we bringing KU into this? Because they beat Illinois who just lost their DC? I like the KU story as much as the next but let's not act like KU was a world beater last year. We had to miss what, 3 field goals to lose to them by 3 at their place with our bad offense? They also lost 7 of 8 games to end the year. I'm just stating that in our down year last year and their best season since 2007, we still should've beat em. They also had one of the worst defenses in the country so pick your poison.

Reactions: flycy

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I don't think so, I just think they're young and Campbell is afraid to make mistakes on offense so they play a little scared as well. I think we will get much better as the season goes on and next year could be a strong year.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
I’ve been around for a few coaches and I’m definitely getting that feeling. McDermott, McCarney, Rhoads, Prohm. Not going to include guys like Morgan, Fred, or Chizik as those were different/very short term situations. Obviously Larry was a unique situation as well.

I’ve had this feeling before and while we’re not totally rotted out (there’s a chance CMC could bounce back a la Kirk Ferentz), I think the “rot” has definitely started to sneak in, if only just a little bit, especially with the gambling issue and it’s direct contradiction to the “5-Star Culture” mantra.

Not rot, just the realization that CMC isn’t likely to get the most out of his rosters

Gone is the excitement and expectation that the close losses due to bad execution we had early under CMC are going to become wins once we have a roster develop and coached for years by CMC

When we have elite ISU talent with a favorable schedule we’ll still have winning seasons. Perhaps if we get out of the Iowa game, another 9 win season is possible

Not much improvement is needed to be top-25, but after 7 years it doesn’t seem that CMC knows offense or ST well enough to get it.

But we can hold our heads high being the best 7-6 or 4-8 team

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Why are we bringing KU into this? Because they beat Illinois who just lost their DC? I like the KU story as much as the next but let's not act like KU was a world beater last year. We had to miss what, 3 field goals to lose to them by 3 at their place with our bad offense? They also lost 7 of 8 games to end the year. I'm just stating that in our down year last year and their best season since 2007, we still should've beat em. They also had one of the worst defenses in the country so pick your poison.

It isn't anything particular to KU specifically, except that they've been regarded as a gettable Big 12 win for a long time and its normal to look at where you stand in a conference pecking order when you're wondering where the wins will come from.

These aren't my thoughts, but what I see keep coming up in conversations and from people on CF when they have "concerns" about Campbell. People just assume that change always brings improvement which should be ridiculous if you've followed ISU for a long time.

I think with solid special teams last year, the offense did not have to be very much better at all and ISU would have gone to a bowl game. I still think this team will contend for one this year, unless every one score game goes the wrong way again.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
It isn't anything particular to KU specifically, except that they've been regarded as a gettable Big 12 win for a long time and its normal to look at where you stand in a conference pecking order when you're wondering where the wins will come from.

These aren't my thoughts, but what I see keep coming up in conversations and from people on CF when they have "concerns" about Campbell. People just assume that change always brings improvement which should be ridiculous if you've followed ISU for a long time.

I think with solid special teams last year, the offense did not have to be very much better at all and ISU would have gone to a bowl game. I still think this team will contend for one this year.
Change needed to happen and it did. But success doesn't happen in a straight line, contrary to a lot of people's beliefs. Not saying you think it does. We have to give it some time to see if these changes work out or not.

• Agree
Reactions: Die4Cy

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Change needed to happen and it did. But success doesn't happen in a straight line, contrary to a lot of people's beliefs. Not saying you think it does. We have to give it some time to see if these changes work out or not.

I agree completely. Being strictly results oriented makes it easy to pick where you come down, but it just isn't like that in reality.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

I feel like the Oline was better last week.

I miss Jay Jordan's articles hashing this stuff out very concisely and objectively.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Go back and check my track record on Rhoads. I bet you were being the same guy then as you are now.

It was time for Rhoads to go. Mangino was a desperate reach. And Rhoads was recruiting poorly. Our DL was always weak. And our defensive secondary was undersized. We had the advantage of Divisions back then. And we were not even competitive in most games. This is nothing like that. We were losing recruiting battles to weak teams from lesser conferences. Everyone was ready for Rhoads to be fired. Rhoads left no doubt with the debacle at K-State.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I feel like the Oline was better last week.

I miss Jay Jordan's articles hashing this stuff out very concisely and objectively.
Our OL has done a great job of protecting Rocco, we just need to figure out the run blocking, and that's very hard to do against a team like Iowa.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
The QB is such an important position in today's football. We had a four year starter that led the program to new successes. With that there was stability. When he left, there was no doubt we would see some reset in the program. That should have been a one year process, but the gambling issue changed that. Unfortunately we spend all of last year getting our QB of the future experience only to lose him. As a result, last year was pretty much a waste. We are very young this year. Playing all these young guys including Rocco and JJ now should benefit us next year and beyond. I do think we are more talented than last year overall, so hopefully we see improvement throughout year and make a bowl game.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
The QB is such an important position in today's football. We had a four year starter that led the program to new successes. With that there was stability. When he left, there was no doubt we would see some reset in the program. That should have been a one year process, but the gambling issue changed that. Unfortunately we spend all of last year getting our QB of the future experience only to lose him. As a result, last year was pretty much a waste. We are very young this year. Playing all these young guys including Rocco and JJ now should benefit us next year and beyond. I do think we are more talented than last year overall, so hopefully we see improvement throughout year and make a bowl game.
It's only two games and we're going to have see how it plays out, but if our defense continues to be elite and our offense improves steadily as the year goes on, we're going to win the close games that we should've last year because I do believe in our special teams this year. Again, it's early, but Perkins and Contreraz have been very good so far.

Reactions: aauummm

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It was time for Rhoads to go. Mangino was a desperate reach. And Rhoads was recruiting poorly. Our DL was always weak. And our defensive secondary was undersized. We had the advantage of Divisions back then. And we were not even competitive in most games. This is nothing like that. We were losing recruiting battles to weak teams from lesser conferences. Everyone was ready for Rhoads to be fired. Rhoads left no doubt with the debacle at K-State.

I'd say getting lit up by UNI in 2013 was a pretty good indicator of how things were.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

Assume they defeat Ohio (sort of have to or else the "season is over").

The Big 12 home games are...

Oklahoma State
TCU
Kansas
Texas

You'd still need four wins for a bowl at that point...

I'd think you have to 3/4 that above (assuming Texas is back to being a Death Star after 20 years as a pontoon boat). Then pull one road win against a vulnerable team... Baylor? BYU?

Reactions: Proton

LAClone

Apr 26, 2010
We've seen the same problems from Campbell over the past eight years, including terrible offensive play calling/schemes and incompetent clock management. Thinking that things are going to meaningfully improve at this point without a coaching change is the definition of insanity.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
We're heading into game 3 with a really young team and bunch of new coaches and some of you are ready to throw in the towel. That's more predictable than our first down play calling.
Yeah, anybody that had expectations higher than "progress and development from start to finish" for this year wasn't informed of our youth, coaching turnover, lack of prior development, or lack of Portal gets. Let's be realistic and wait to see how we progress as the year goes on.