Haliburton Breaks Heft's Assist Record

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Prohm is going to have a real problem in a week or so when Lindell is coming back. Prohm has to put Lindell back on the floor, he's too good. But I wonder if NWB doesn't get bumped for sixth man off the bench due to how well Haliburton is playing right now.

Yesterday was the first time I really thought that was a possibility. It won't be a problem until January - because Lindell will come off the bench for the first couple games as he works his way back into game shape. But Tyrese has definitely earned the starting PG job.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Yesterday was the first time I really thought that was a possibility. It won't be a problem until January - because Lindell will come off the bench for the first couple games as he works his way back into game shape. But Tyrese has definitely earned the starting PG job.
A much better problem that being too thin on the bench, although the functional pieces did relatively well against everyone but AZ (& Iowa).

• Agree
Reactions: bawbie

KKramer

Sep 25, 2017
THT. well, maybe. He is very good around the basket, but he also needs to have a much better outside shot and learn to play within himself at times. Pretty amazing for a freshman, but still has a ways to go. Haliburton, love the kid, but not sure he will be strong enough to play pro ever, but we will see. His odd release on his shot will not help him a lot either.
Monte came to Iowa State at like 155 pounds or something and is excelling in the NBA right now. Haliburton isn't that small.

His shot release, though, I do agree with. That might hold him back.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Monte came to Iowa State at like 155 pounds or something and is excelling in the NBA right now. Haliburton isn't that small.

and it took Monte all 4 years to add enough strength to be strong enough to play in the NBA. You never know how anyone is going to develop, but I don't see the NBA clamoring for him even after a couple years. Hate to mess with the kids shot when he is shooting pretty well, but that shot is just ugly to watch until it goes in.

• Agree
Reactions: KKramer

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
and it took Monte all 4 years to add enough strength to be strong enough to play in the NBA. You never know how anyone is going to develop, but I don't see the NBA clamoring for him even after a couple years. Hate to mess with the kids shot when he is shooting pretty well, but that shot is just ugly to watch until it goes in.
Did Georges ever have a "pretty" shot?

Reactions: isutrevman

MartinCy

Jul 12, 2016
Kansas City, MO

I believe Monte was actually below 150 lbs when he showed up in Ames.

And on the Haliburton NBA speculation, I think the impressive takeaway here is that he's being viewed as a prospect this early when most (including me) thought he wouldn't contribute at all this year. Let's make sure we keep it in perspective though that he's being viewed as a long term prospect. His ability to knock down set shot open threes is a huge asset for this team particularly and when your surrounded by guys who can play make in general.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

Does it matter what his shot looks like if it goes in at a good rate? It's not like he's throwing up line drives that are easily blocked. With his height, an extra tenth of a second in the motion isn't going to get it blocked either.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Did Georges ever have a "pretty" shot?
Don't you disrespect the GOAT like that!!!
giphy.gif

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Disrespect? I LOVE that guy. But you can't honestly tell me that he had a pretty shot! :D

Point being, the parts made a great whole in Georges' case. I think Haliburton is the same way.
Fair point. His shot was one one only a mother could love.

• Friendly
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
Besides Mizzou, which they weren’t even good, we haven’t played a decent team at Hilton yet. I don’t ever remember a time we had a packed house for a low major opponent the Sunday before finals. Don’t worry conference play is almost here.

I have a feeling that conference play won't matter with this generation of students. Their attendance is beyond pathetic. It's time to sell off half of the student balcony section on the east end even if that would take away the seats that our family usually uses to sit together in.

"Finals start Monday", good grief. You can't use a 1-2 hour break from studying?? I'm not expecting a packed house for Southern but I would expect more than 200 students out of an enrollment of 35,000+, it was a joke and has been this entire year so far.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I have a feeling that conference play won't matter with this generation of students. Their attendance is beyond pathetic. It's time to sell off half of the student balcony section on the east end even if that would take away the seats that our family usually uses to sit together in.

"Finals start Monday", good grief. You can't use a 1-2 hour break from studying?? I'm not expecting a packed house for Southern but I would expect more than 200 students out of an enrollment of 35,000+, it was a joke and has been this entire year so far.
Maybe the best option would be to sell the same number of student tickets, then maybe make everybody claim their ticket a week before the game somehow. Then any that end up unclaimed they sell to the general public as a general admission ticket. Just an idea. Would hate to shrink the student section because then you end up with an atmosphere like carver which has a pretty small student section.

I will say it’s more like a 4 hour break from studying, which could be pretty critical for a student that likes to cram.

Reactions: NWICY

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron