Gun Enthusiasts: Please advise

JBone84

Nov 30, 2006
Rochester, MN
I've been thinking about purchasing a handgun strictly for home defense purposes and was told a lot of the same things people have already said in this thread- best weapon is a 12 ga pump action (I'm looking at the Mossberg 500 security models) because the sound of racking it may be enough to chase an intruder off. One thing I was told that I haven't seen posted yet is you can't just get a semi-auto, load it, and expect it to work a year later when you need it. You can get away doing this with a revolver though.

I see no problems with letting rounds sit in a magazine for extended periods of time. Springs don't wear out because they sit under tension.

I do, however, try to shoot rounds through most all of my "common" guns from time to time because they all like the attention, and then it gives me an excuse to clean them.

bugs4cy

Jun 7, 2009
Story County
Chick gun owner here.

My husband is incredibly knowledgeable about guns. Owns dozens. He helped me shop, but I ultimately made the decision about what worked best for me. I also took a class in '01 where someone other than my better half taught me the basics of the gun, the law and how to shoot. I have a current carry permit, after taking the updated class since the law change.

I've seen so many nightmare situations play out at the range where I've seen husbands trying to teach their wives to shoot and a) they don't know enough to be teaching anything, and/or b) marital discord rears it's ugly head as one spouse acts like a jerk/belittles the other/or puts .40 in her hands and laughs when she gets knocked on her butt. Not cool.

Find someone who can work with your wife so she is comfortable handling the gun. I know someone in the Ames are that is a certified instructor and can work with you and/or her in group or individual scenario. PM me for contact info. Big time ISU connection.

I have a small hand. I have a Sig 239 9mm, Hogue grips. But, I don't like shooting a lot of rounds through it - makes my shoulder angry. So, a year ago I bought a Sig Mosquito .22 which is set up just like my 9mm,, but is much more comfortable for me to do a significant amount of target practice. Oh, and the skeeter is PINK.
:rolleyes:
While shopping I held MANY guns. The Glock was too bulky for my hand. The Sig was a nice fit. So, my suggestion is that make a date of gun shopping and have her get a feel for it and be able to say what make of gun is most comfortable for her.

While lots of people will give you advice about what is the best make and model, the reality is that you and your wife need to go and hold a lot of guns and decide what is best for YOU, not everyone else.

TxCycloneFan

Oct 19, 2006
Bastrop TX
If you can test guns out prior to buying, you'll be much more satisfied. For example, I was looking to get a Ruger LC9 (9mm ultra concealable single stack). Thought for sure that was the gun for me. Tried it out and discovered I hated it with a passion.

I did pick up a Ruger LCP (380 Auto) for ultra concealability. As others have noted, thed .380 Auto cartridge isn't the most powerful in the world, but I carry hollow points, plus a typical encounter where you'd need to use the gun is going to be close quarters anyway.

I also have Smith & Wesson M&P 9c. That's a sweet-shooting gun. It's a compact 9mm (which means it's still decently sized). Smooth trigger pull, easy to be accurate with. FWIW, it's the gun they issue to ICE and some other federal agencies.

My brother picked up a Kimber 40. Haven't shot it yet, so couldn't give any insight into it.

All that being said, I think you'd be fine with a 9mm for home defense. The kick isn't bad at all. Get hollow point ammunition to put in it.

I love my LC9 and hate my wife's LCP. If I had to do it over, I wound have gotten her a Ruger LCR. But I do agree that s 12 pump is your best choice for home defense.

Get Hornady Critical defense for whatever handgun platform you decide on.

Last edited:

JBone84

Nov 30, 2006
Rochester, MN
Chick gun owner here.

My husband is incredibly knowledgeable about guns. Owns dozens. He helped me shop, but I ultimately made the decision about what worked best for me. I also took a class in '01 where someone other than my better half taught me the basics of the gun, the law and how to shoot. I have a current carry permit, after taking the updated class since the law change.

I've seen so many nightmare situations play out at the range where I've seen husbands trying to teach their wives to shoot and a) they don't know enough to be teaching anything, and/or b) marital discord rears it's ugly head as one spouse acts like a jerk/belittles the other/or puts .40 in her hands and laughs when she gets knocked on her butt. Not cool.

Find someone who can work with your wife so she is comfortable handling the gun. I know someone in the Ames are that is a certified instructor and can work with you and/or her in group or individual scenario. PM me for contact info. Big time ISU connection.

I have a small hand. I have a Sig 239 9mm, Hogue grips. But, I don't like shooting a lot of rounds through it - makes my shoulder angry. So, a year ago I bought a Sig Mosquito .22 which is set up just like my 9mm,, but is much more comfortable for me to do a significant amount of target practice. Oh, and the skeeter is PINK.
:rolleyes:
While shopping I held MANY guns. The Glock was too bulky for my hand. The Sig was a nice fit. So, my suggestion is that make a date of gun shopping and have her get a feel for it and be able to say what make of gun is most comfortable for her.

While lots of people will give you advice about what is the best make and model, the reality is that you and your wife need to go and hold a lot of guns and decide what is best for YOU, not everyone else.

Who doesn't want a date that includes a lot of exciting hands-on activity???

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
Great stuff - everyone! This is the type of stuff I was hoping for. I will respond to some posts later tonight when I get home from work. Thanks so much!

mkcrawford

Mar 20, 2006
If you want to take ammo cost into account, I believe 9mm is the cheapest of the options you listed (.380 & .40). At least that's what I recall from a year or so ago.

JBone84

Nov 30, 2006
Rochester, MN
If you want to take ammo cost into account, I believe 9mm is the cheapest of the options you listed (.380 & .40). At least that's what I recall from a year or so ago.

Still is. Though .380 is a smaller round (aka 9mm short), it is more expensive. .380/.40 are approximately the same cost, then .45. For a comparable box of ammo, .380/.40 is a couple of extra dollars.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
I love my LC9 and hate my wife's LCP. If I had to do it over, I wound have gotten her a Ruger LCR. But I do agree that s 12 pump is your best choice for home defense.

Get Hornady Critical defense for whatever handgun platform you decide on.

Bastrop? I'll be there this weekend, starting the Texas Independance Relay. Sorry, no Cyclone running apperal to make me stand out though...

Personally, I think the LC9 has too long of a trigger pull and the recoil is just nasty. My thinking is I need to buy a gun that I don't mind shooting, so I'll be more apt to practice with it. Hence the 380 for super-sneakiness.

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
This is true, but home defense ammo is still going to cost you, no matter what caliber you are using. I picked up a box of Guard Dog 9mm home defense ammo a while ago. 20 rounds were like $25.

JBone84

Nov 30, 2006
Rochester, MN

Still is. Though .380 is a smaller round (aka 9mm short), it is more expensive. .380/.40 are approximately the same cost, then .45. For a comparable box of ammo, .380/.40 is a couple of extra dollars.

This is true, but home defense ammo is still going to cost you, no matter what caliber you are using. I picked up a box of Guard Dog 9mm home defense ammo a while ago. 20 rounds were like $25.

Agree that self defense ammo is expensive - but the sentiment holds that a comparable box of .40 or .380 will be more expensive than 9mm.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
One question I've always had is this: I could not have a loaded gun in my house without some way of preventing a horrible accident if a child would happen to find it. How do you get around using a trigger lock, hiding the key somewhere, and not defeating the purpose of even having the gun when you hear someone walking up your steps in the middle of the night?

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
One question I've always had is this: I could not have a loaded gun in my house without some way of preventing a horrible accident if a child would happen to find it. How do you get around using a trigger lock, hiding the key somewhere, and not defeating the purpose of even having the gun when you hear someone walking up your steps in the middle of the night?

biosafex550.jpg

ShotLock-Costco-Wall-Lock-Mount.jpg

^^^Mounts to the wall.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor

I've got an electronic combination safe. Punch in the code and she's unlocked with the guns inside.

You can also get some that require a fingerprint scan to unlock. Those cost more money than I was willing to spend.

JBone84

Nov 30, 2006
Rochester, MN
I've got an electronic combination safe. Punch in the code and she's unlocked with the guns inside.

You can also get some that require a fingerprint scan to unlock. Those cost more money than I was willing to spend.

Same for me - electronic combination safe. I would like to move up to the fingerprint one someday just for even quicker access if I'm awakened at 3am and groggily punch in the numbers.

Help Support Us

Become a patron