Greatest Gut Punch Bracket

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
I know WHOTV did a greatest moments in Iowa sports history. Now they are doing the Greatest Gut punch bracket. I see selections as they happen day to day, but is there somewhere to see the entire bracket? I am just curious what all is on the bracket.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I know WHOTV did a greatest moments in Iowa sports history. Now they are doing the Greatest Gut punch bracket. I see selections as they happen day to day, but is there somewhere to see the entire bracket? I am just curious what all is on the bracket.

Available here -- scroll down and it shows zoomed closeups of each "region."

Iowa's Greatest Gut Punch Bracket

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
Honestly that bracket seems pretty lame IMO. Maybe I’m just numb to kicks to the nuts from Iowa State at this point

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Is it just me or are those loses to win the North seeded way to high

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
Maybe I shouldn't ask but ... remind me, what was the significance of the 2004 Football loss to Mizzou? (Is that the one where we missed a last second field goal or point after?)

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa
ISU fans need a 64 team bracket of their own to list all of the gut punches we've endured over the years.

Two things glaringly missing from the ISU bracket were the Texas game screwing and the K-State penalty/wait "there is no flag on the play" game. Those two are permanently etched in my mind.

The Hampton and UCLA NCAA tourney losses could both be lumped together as we lost in almost identical circumstances. Taking the lead with just seconds to go and letting them inbound, drive the length of the floor, and get a layup to win the game.

CycloneRulzzz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
ISU fans need a 64 team bracket of their own to list all of the gut punches we've endured over the years.

Two things glaringly missing from the ISU bracket were the Texas game screwing and the K-State penalty/wait "there is no flag on the play" game. Those two are permanently etched in my mind.

The Hampton and UCLA NCAA tourney losses could both be lumped together as we lost in almost identical circumstances. Taking the lead with just seconds to go and letting them inbound, drive the length of the floor, and get a layup to win the game.

Another is the ku 3 between isu ft's. Never forget that one either.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
2004 and 2005 FB seasons could have been lumped into 1 entry as both ended with missed FGs that could have put us in the Big 12 championship game. I think it is seeded just right considering what playing in that game would have meant for the program at the time

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Those big 12 north choke jobs sting but knowing that Colorado lost both of those games 42-3 and 70-3 respectively takes a little bit out. I especially wouldn't have wanted anything to do with Vince Young and Texas in '05.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Those big 12 north choke jobs sting but knowing that Colorado lost both of those games 42-3 and 70-3 respectively takes a little bit out. I especially wouldn't have wanted anything to do with Vince Young and Texas in '05.
This. It suck to not have an an opportunity but getting the doors blow off and looking like we shouldn’t have even been on the same field is something that would not have a warm and fuzzy memory. I was super pissed after that KU game though at the time.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com

I'd still trade the risk of a beatdown if it meant having a division title (or two) --- at least we'd KNOW how ISU fared in the B12 championship game.

I doubt ISU would've contended seriously either time, but I still maintain the '05 team would not have lost to UT by even close to 67 points.

Reactions: heitclone

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I'd still trade the risk of a beatdown if it meant having a division title (or two) --- at least we'd KNOW how ISU fared in the B12 championship game.

I doubt ISU would've contended seriously either time, but I still maintain the '05 team would not have lost to UT by even close to 67 points.
I agree. That Colorado team was a wounded duck.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa

we would have got smoked. I was mad until I watched the big 12 game and thought we might be better off not playing

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
3 Others that us old-timers remember with pain:

The end of season loss to OSU in 1976 which meant not going to the Orange Bowl was quite a sting. Even with the loss ISU ended the season at 8-3 and ranked 19th. But NO bowl invite. So went from potential Orange Bowl game to nothing.

And the missed extra point against Nebraska in 1972 ending the game in a tie should be on there too.

Not to mention the 1981 tie 7-7 versus OU. Had the ball inside the 10 and Crutchfield evidently did not give his best effort to run it in. Ended up missing the field goal that would have won the game

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Cyclone bracket final should be msu loss vs niang breaks foot

As the bracket is seeded, that's a legitimate stance. But to me, Niang-Foot may be slightly over-seeded. His injury probably hindered a realistic shot at a F4 run, but to me its impact is less gut-punchy than some of the others. It didn't affect outcome of that game and ISU also advanced to Sweet 16 without him vs. UNC.

If I was seeding the bracket, I might put it in the 4 vs 5 and move one of the Big 12 North Title Whiffs into #3 slot.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
This. It suck to not have an an opportunity but getting the doors blow off and looking like we shouldn’t have even been on the same field is something that would not have a warm and fuzzy memory. I was super pissed after that KU game though at the time.

I listened to the '04 game on the radio and the missed field goal was the most stunned I've heard John Walters to the day, and he's had plenty to be stunned about.

I just remember in the '05 KU game there was one weird call that went against ISU and that was pretty much it. Weird situations were one thing, watching a team let it affect them to failure was worse.