Gomez

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
Relax, I wasn’t being serious.
Lol I know but just the thought of the season being cancelled had me thinking I’d still rather have a horrible team than have to continue this COVID-19 lifestyle. I get that you were joking but I do think some people out there probably are serious about that.

Reactions: Cytown12

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Lol I know but just the thought of the season being cancelled had me thinking I’d still rather have a horrible team than have to continue this COVID-19 lifestyle. I get that you were joking but I do think some people out there probably are serious about that.

Playing out the hypothetical --

I would rather we have sports next year because the football team is likely to be very good even if the basketball team is going to be an eysore.

Football is more important than basketball. I know clinging to Hilton and us being a "basketball school" while our football program was a goat rodeo for decades is just the standard Iowa State thing to do, but things are different now.

I would gladly watch the basketball program go down in flames, Prohm get fired, and have to start over in exchange for an 12-2 football season. Very gladly.

Even just a shot at that -- which we have an outside one -- is worth torching basketball.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
We miss one kid who is 5'8 and goes to the best City in the United States and everyone freaks out. Just dumb. We still have a crap load of transfers we are in on.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
We miss one kid who is 5'8 and goes to the best City in the United States and everyone freaks out. Just dumb. We still have a crap load of transfers we are in on.

I think the next couple of weeks are going to be hard for you. Aiken is going to SH or MD, Tucker is going to Mizzou. Carlton might be an option, but from the sounds of it, we are kind of a fall back option for him. Where do you go from there?

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
I think the next couple of weeks are going to be hard for you. Aiken is going to SH or MD, Tucker is going to Mizzou. Carlton might be an option, but from the sounds of it, we are kind of a fall back option for him. Where do you go from there?

Good thing it’s still *checks notes* only April 7th.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
I would gladly watch the basketball program go down in flames, Prohm get fired, and have to start over in exchange for an 12-2 football season. Very gladly.

Even just a shot at that -- which we have an outside one -- is worth torching basketball.

I am in the camp of 6-6 or 7-5 next season. Starting over on the OL, DL missing two great DTs...I can remember if we are losing starting safeties and MLB. Up the middle on D is where you need to be strong.

You don't want to go into a season replacing lines.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I am in the camp of 6-6 or 7-5 next season. Starting over on the OL, DL missing two great DTs...I can remember if we are losing starting safeties and MLB. Up the middle on D is where you need to be strong.

You don't want to go into a season replacing lines.

You are completely right about that.

If anything is going to hold us back next year, the lines are it.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Good thing it’s still *checks notes* only April 7th.

I could be wrong but I would imagine most people who are going to transfer would likely have done so by now, right? It's not like teams are wrapping up post-season tournaments which would delay a decision. I'm sure there will still be a bit more that decide to transfer, but I would think most of the high-impact, immediately eligible guys have already announced their intentions.

Cycl0nepower

Apr 4, 2020
Ohio

I like our chances with Turner.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
And the kid from Illinois just choose Syracuse. This is going down just like I thought...get on a bunch of solid transfers "Top Schools" list and not land a one of them.

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
Playing out the hypothetical --

I would rather we have sports next year because the football team is likely to be very good even if the basketball team is going to be an eysore.

Football is more important than basketball. I know clinging to Hilton and us being a "basketball school" while our football program was a goat rodeo for decades is just the standard Iowa State thing to do, but things are different now.

Everybody is always so quick to try and say what type of school we are. Honestly we are neither. Football only went 7-6 last year. To be football or basketball school, you have to be a national powerhouse. I don’t think either program has had enough success nationally to claim that title. Especially football.. just my opinion though.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
And the kid from Illinois just choose Syracuse. This is going down just like I thought...get on a bunch of solid transfers "Top Schools" list and not land a one of them.

I'm having a strange feeling of deja vu...

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Get it together, Drew!
There is very little correct in this post. In fact, this is one of the few freak out posts.

Gomez wasn’t perfect, but he was a miss in a time in which targets are limited. We are in on a few more though, and more will become available.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

This is why I was really bummed about Grill leaving. Not that he was a can't miss guy, but he was a guy, and I had serious doubts about our ability to replace what he would bring next year.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
ISU has some good role players on the team. Conditt and Bolton are the main two I am thinking of. If you have to depend on them for your team you can expect a 10-12 win season. (Unless they massively improve) I never count on freshman to carry a team either. Solo is a pretty good defender and rebounder but in actuality is at best a 4th or 5th best starter on most teams. The cupboard is pretty empty at ISU. There is a chance some freshman do ok but they aren't turning this into a tourney team. You needed two stud transfers to come in.

If ISU gets a lot of breaks next season (should there be one) ISU could win 14-15 games.

Help Support Us

Become a patron