Golf irons... what to buy?

cymac2408

Jul 4, 2013
Urbandale IA
Cleveland has some fat bottomed wedges that are glorious. Very forgiving and give you some loft.
I will second the Cleveland HB irons. My union bought me some upon my retirement and I absolutely love them. Got them at McKinley Golf across from the DM International Airport.

Reactions: cycloneML

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
It depends on your skill level, blades have a smaller sweet spot, but I feel I get more accuracy and control, while cavity backed irons have a bigger sweet spot and are more forgiving, but they aren't as precise. Blades are pricier as well, so keep that in mind. Kinley's on Fleur Drive has a nice selection, and they also have some nice used sets of the high dollar clubs.

Don't buy blades.
Mark Egly is certainly an option, but be aware, he's not for everyone. He has a very different philosophy than everyone else I've ever taken lessons with (or at least he did the last time I went there 15 years ago or so). I found his snappy-wrist style of swing hard to build any consistency with.

If there's a teacher out there still promoting a bunch of wrist action, stay as far away as you can.

Here are some things I'd start with but you probably need to go get fit. I don't know how good you are but I would probably start with a 5 iron-pw set with a hybrid or two. Of course, some people (me) are better long iron players than hybrid players so there are exceptions.

Then it depends on if you think you're buying a set for a couple years or 10 years. As mentioned, irons with a name attached to them like TM Sim or Stealth, or Callaway Rogue or Maverick are a more affordable, forgiving option. If you want something very close to that forgiveness in a little bit better iron, my personal fit-all favorite (or as close as you can blindly get, anyway) would be the P790. They are pretty good across all iterations. Titelist T300s are also a very good option. There are some really good facebook groups that you can find lightly used stuff on or I've had really good luck with ebay. Then you just pay someone to get your loft/lie right.

Shaft is a crapshoot and I'd also say it's more important than the head. The shaft, IMO, is the reason you get fit. You can get a pretty good idea of what head you need based just on handicap.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
If you're a Callaway guy, they have a certified pre-owned website with decent deals.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
I went to Wagner's in Ames last year. I purchased a used set of Mizuno JPX Hot Metal Pro irons and I've been satisfied. I'm also not a great golfer and don't play that frequently so take that info with a grain of salt!

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I went to Wagner's in Ames last year. I purchased a used set of Mizuno JPX Hot Metal Pro irons and I've been satisfied. I'm also not a great golfer and don't play that frequently so take that info with a grain of salt!

The Hot Metal line (Pros or Standard) are also great iron for anyone down to like a 8 or so handicap. Very broad usability.

Reactions: Dandy

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
I will second the Cleveland HB irons. My union bought me some upon my retirement and I absolutely love them. Got them at McKinley Golf across from the DM International Airport.
Yes irons is what I meant! Also pay attention to the shaft. The shaft is important depending on how hard you swing

gocy444

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008
Ames, IA
1. Get fitted
2. Check out some DTC options like Ben Hogan or Sub 70. Both will let you demo clubs.
3. If you’re military PXG has some crazy discounts.
4. IMHO technology has come so far and most of the big names produce similar clubs. Get whatever you feel the most confident with standing over the ball.

iastatehunter

Jul 28, 2013
I've always used Ebay to find demo clubs and save some $$$. Can usually find a model year older set for a pretty good price.

DallasGolf seller seems to have a pretty good selection right now.

Also Mizuno. Mizuno is the answer.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Did a fitting at Wagner's last year, left with Mizuno Hot Metal irons and Cobra LTDx driver/wood/hybrid. The irons I'm very happy with, including the same-set wedges. Very forgiving and easy to work with. I don't hit the wood and driver too well yet.

This year, I've been taking lessons...and might've made a mistake doing it this way. I'm being coached heavily that I overswing and need to take some velocity down. However, all of my clubs are stiff-shafted (and the irons are bent a bit) because I swung so hard at the time. I don't know if this is going to cause me problems or not.

Just in terms of clubs, though, this made me a Mizuno believer.

Reactions: Dandy

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
There are so many options and I dont know where to begin. I started to golf every weekend and I want to upgrade my irons. My budget is about $750. What brands are good at that price point? Where should I buy them? Do I need a flex shaft?

I bought a set of Ping a few years back and love them.

My recommendation however is to find a local shop that you like talking to the staff, and find out when they are having a demo day, go to that. Get fitted and try hitting a few balls live. Maybe a shop will give you a test iron to try out in your size. Decide what feels best in your hand and your swing and go from there.

Reactions: RedBlooded

cymac2408

Jul 4, 2013
Urbandale IA
Yes irons is what I meant! Also pay attention to the shaft. The shaft is important depending on how hard you swing
Yes indeed. I thought about a flex shaft but I am a bigger man and with my swing he suggested I wouldn’t need flex shaft for later. I used to play 3 times a year but since retirement I get out 3-4 times a week.

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
There are so many options and I dont know where to begin. I started to golf every weekend and I want to upgrade my irons. My budget is about $750. What brands are good at that price point? Where should I buy them? Do I need a flex shaft?
lot of good feed back in this thread. The one thing I see people doing more these days is skipping the 3-4 irons and adding in a hybrid or two that might be easier to hit.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
lot of good feed back in this thread. The one thing I see people doing more these days is skipping the 3-4 irons and adding in a hybrid or two that might be easier to hit.
I can't hardly even hit my 5-iron. Looking back, I should've traded that out for a 5 hybrid.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Did a fitting at Wagner's last year, left with Mizuno Hot Metal irons and Cobra LTDx driver/wood/hybrid. The irons I'm very happy with, including the same-set wedges. Very forgiving and easy to work with. I don't hit the wood and driver too well yet.

This year, I've been taking lessons...and might've made a mistake doing it this way. I'm being coached heavily that I overswing and need to take some velocity down. However, all of my clubs are stiff-shafted (and the irons are bent a bit) because I swung so hard at the time. I don't know if this is going to cause me problems or not.

Just in terms of clubs, though, this made me a Mizuno believer.
I think the flexible shaft just adds some extra zing for the slow swingers. I tried one once with my swing and was sending boomerangs all over the place.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Moving beyond the “get fitted” response that I completely agree with, if you’re going to skip that step, I also agree that Titleist AP1’s, as mentioned here, are solid, solid irons around the OPs price point.

Now…I’d probably bite the bullet and spend an extra couple hundred for AP2’s, but AP1’s are good clubs.
Speaking of AP1s, I have a set I'll sell you @RedBlooded . They were fitted to me... I can't remember exactly but a little long and a little upright. PM me if interested. :)

• Optimistic
Reactions: 07Clone

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
Best irons for high-handicappers are Callaway XR OS. No they don't look flashy like a TaylorMade P790 but you will hit them significantly better. In general it is well worth the money to actually get fitted if you plan to use these clubs for 5+ years.