Getting a new dog

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
Everyone has an opinion on breeder vs. rescue. I think both have their merits assuming that the breeder is reputable. It comes down to you making a commitment to an animal that is going to be around for a decade plus. So get one that you are happy with.

I have two dogs we got from breeders and we researched both breeders as much as we could. Our Cavalier's is registered with the AKC, is a family and uses the ISU Vet Med to test for genetic disorders. Do not want to get a dog and have them die after a couple of years. That would be too hard for me to take. My Border Collie's breeder was registered with the ABCA and had a great reputation, and her bloodlines are excellent. They are both healthy and great dogs as promised.

That said, I would rescue a dog if I met them and loved them.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Cats shouldn't be in this thread. If I wanted a creature that was indifferent at best to me, and sometimes hated me, while all it dad was lay around and touch itself while waiting for me to wait on it hand and foot, I'd just have a kid.

• Funny
Reactions: t-noah

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Everyone has an opinion on breeder vs. rescue. I think both have their merits assuming that the breeder is reputable. It comes down to you making a commitment to an animal that is going to be around for a decade plus. So get one that you are happy with.

I have two dogs we got from breeders and we researched both breeders as much as we could. Our Cavalier's is registered with the AKC, is a family and uses the ISU Vet Med to test for genetic disorders. Do not want to get a dog and have them die after a couple of years. That would be too hard for me to take. My Border Collie's breeder was registered with the ABCA and had a great reputation, and her bloodlines are excellent. They are both healthy and great dogs as promised.

That said, I would rescue a dog if I met them and loved them.

Agree, I have always looked for breeders who breed the dogs that I prefer per say. Had a boxer before and a pug that were bought from "reputable" breeders, I don't really care about papers or anything. Needless to say my last dog meet an unfortunate end 2 months ago and I was scrambling to find a replacement for my daughter. The ARL had the perfect dog for us which ended up being a Boxer/pit mix. We were hesitant because my daughter is young but they bonded and the rest is history. I will look at the ARL in every future animal purchase.

scottie33

Nov 25, 2006
Ames, Iowa
I think we are looking for smaller dogs in general. Breed isn't a huge concern as long as its decently small . It is me and my girlfriend, and this will be our first dog and think we will be able to handle a smaller dog better at first. Plus we have a smaller house as of now and think a big dog might feel trapped in it, ha.

We got a Teddy Bear from Denning Farms in Southeastern Iowa and we absolutely love her. They will take pictures and videos of the new puppies and post them on the website so you can see them prior to calling them and.or visiting.

www.denningfarms.com

CyStalker

Jul 16, 2012
Ankeny
ARL is a great option. There are also no kill shelters that you should consider. They have dogs just like ARL. They also have purebred breeds from time to time that they rescue from puppy mill actions. Some take pregnant mommies and very frequently have puppies available and they also rescue the dogs that don't get adopted from ARL that are on death row. There is one located in DeSoto called AHeinz 57 Pet Rescue.

https://www.facebook.com/AHeinz57Pets

http://www.aheinz57.com/

There is another no kill shelter called Fluffy Butts and they specialize more in small breeds. AHeinz 57 has all kinds of breeds.

https://www.facebook.com/fluffybuttsrescue

http://www.fluffybutts.com/home

Check them out. There is something special about the love you will get from a dog you adopt.....

Reactions: Squamey54

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I think we are looking for smaller dogs in general. Breed isn't a huge concern as long as its decently small . It is me and my girlfriend, and this will be our first dog and think we will be able to handle a smaller dog better at first. Plus we have a smaller house as of now and think a big dog might feel trapped in it, ha.

You might want to research some breeds. Just because a dog small doesn't mean it doesn't need a lot of exercise. Most terriers are good case in point. Other considerations would be amount of grooming, shedding, ease of training , etc.

CYvilEng

Aug 20, 2012
Des Moines

I just want to clear up that dog size doesn't equate to room needed or energy level. My st bernards aren't exactly running around this time of the year.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Plus they're better at sports!

You know, I realized what that sounded like when I typed it. But honest, it IS a real issue. Ask any animal shelter, they'll tell you the same thing. They even have special promotions to encourage people to adopt them.

ISUAlum05

Nov 5, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
You know, I realized what that sounded like when I typed it. But honest, it IS a real issue. Ask any animal shelter, they'll tell you the same thing. They even have special promotions to encourage people to adopt them.

I volunteer with a rescue. This is true. Large, black dogs are the hardest to adopt out. OP, please adopt and save a life!

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
Bump

Anyone buy a puppy online? I was thinking about doing that and they can ship you the puppy. How do you know the sellers are legit and you’re not getting scammed? The main site I have been looking at is puppyfind.com.

• Haha
Reactions: t-noah