Getting a new dog

Zenthar

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 4, 2010
Hello, I am looking into buying a new dog for my new house. I have looked on the classifieds and a little on craigslist. I also have been checking out the shelter too. I was wondering if any one had a good breeder they would recommend or just a good place to get one would be? I've read a lot into puppy mills and I think that rules out some of the bigger corporations for me.

Thanks

Zenthar

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 4, 2010
What kind of dog? Generally good breeders are breed specific, or just a few breeds.

I think we are looking for smaller dogs in general. Breed isn't a huge concern as long as its decently small . It is me and my girlfriend, and this will be our first dog and think we will be able to handle a smaller dog better at first. Plus we have a smaller house as of now and think a big dog might feel trapped in it, ha.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
I think we are looking for smaller dogs in general. Breed isn't a huge concern as long as its decently small . It is me and my girlfriend, and this will be our first dog and think we will be able to handle a smaller dog better at first. Plus we have a smaller house as of now and think a big dog might feel trapped in it, ha.

Do you have a lot of room outside? If you dont, then try to stay away from a shelter, as some get very picky when it comes the that.

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
There are so many great dogs in shelters. Some of the best dogs are basically on death row and waiting for adoption.

I got my latest dog there and he's as good of a dog you could possibly want. I highly recommend adoption from the shelter

Last edited:

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
A lot of breeds have 'rescue' organizations. I think they find dogs that are not wanted or found in puppy mills and then foster 'parents' take care of them until they are adopted. My parents have gotten some basset hounds through that type of organization. They usually have lots of different ages on their website and you can kind of go through and see if any would fit your family.

I'll put in a plug for a Basset for you....great dogs who aren't super small, but don't really need a lot of space either.

Reactions: deadeyededric

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Well if you're looking for a small breed and you have a small house, I'll refrain from sending you my Foxhound breeder. Our old fart weighed in at 70# today at the vet....plus they need lots of exercise.

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
There are so many great dogs in shelters. Some of the best dogs are basically on death row and waiting for adoption.

I got my latest dog there and he's a good of a dog you could possibly want. I highly recommend adoption from the shelter

With KnappShack on this...if you don't care about the breed, adopt from a shelter.

In my experience, shelter dogs are so loyal and loving...I think because they're so grateful to get out of doggy jail.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Agreed with the shelter. If you're not looking for a specific breed, a shelter adoption will literally save the animal's life. And they'll love you forever. Not to mention it's much cheaper and they already are spayed/neutered as well as updated on all of their shots.

• Winner
Reactions: deadeyededric

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
We got our guy (Cairn, Westie, Ibizan mix) from death row, it astounds me that no one wanted him at a regular shelter. Hes incredibly loyal.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Animal Rescue League has a sale I think still going, they have so many animals right now. I strongly recommend saving a life at a shelter. Our last two dogs have been shelter dogs and not a problem at all with them. My brother keeps getting pure bred goldens and the dogs are pretty high maintenance, not sure if it is the dogs or the owner.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Animal Rescue League has a sale I think still going, they have so many animals right now. I strongly recommend saving a life at a shelter. Our last two dogs have been shelter dogs and not a problem at all with them. My brother keeps getting pure bred goldens and the dogs are pretty high maintenance, not sure if it is the dogs or the owner.

I think it's more the owners. My dog is a pure bred, came from two parents that were both champion show dogs. He was born with an overbite and couldn't be sold as a showdog, so he was thrown in a horse barn as a puppy. Once I saved him, he became the sweetest, most loyal and low maintenance dog I've ever seen. He's just happy when you're in the same room as him.

Reactions: t-noah

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Cats are better anyways.
oh_hell_no.gif