***General Cycling Thread***

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
What are people thought on Continental Gator Skins? Looking for some new rubber on my road bike?
Good protection, bad rolling resistance.
Check out Michelin Pro 4 Endurance, those are good protection and good rolling resistance. I’ve ridden them for the last 5,000ish miles (I’m on my second set) and only had 2-3 flats and one was a pinch flat. (All on the Chicago bike trail which is 50% asphalt, 50% broken glass).

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: diaclone and NWICY

Yaz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 29, 2018
What are people thought on Continental Gator Skins? Looking for some new rubber on my road bike?
As others have noted, they're to the heavy side and durable and not the greatest rolling. If you are not worried about rolling resistance, they are a great all around tire at a decent price.`

If you want something a little lighter and less rolling resistance, yet decent flat protection, consider the Continental 4000 or S-Works Turbo Gripton. Ive had tremendous results with both tires as far as flat protection, weight and lower rolling resistance.

If you have tire clearance, consider Renee Herse Bon Jon Pass as they are terrific as well.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
hell finally got on the bike last night for the 1st time in about a year.. 27 miles total out to the bar and back was a decent restart..

Reactions: cyclonesurveyor

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Glad I was on my hybrid and not the road bike today. Little quicker to the brakes on that bike and those handlebars I think. Had to brake and lay bike down at intersection to keep oncoming lady turning left from plastering me. Was a Maxwell Smart "Missed me by that much!" 70 year old elbow survived a nice bounce off the pavement. Only unexpected thing was the gal stopped and profusely apologized.

Mark my words, someone is going to get hurt or killed at the Theodore Wirth Parkway/Glenwood Ave intersection this summer. Less than 150 feet from me was a big class of middle school kids on a big group ride. It's crazy hazardous given the clueless auto drivers during rush hour and the oblivious "adult" trail riders. Throw in the ******* roadies that think they should be able to bike through on this narrow two-way path at 25 mph and it's perfect storm of bad design meets the moron people.

Last edited:

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Glad I was on my hybrid and not the road bike today. Little quicker to the brakes on that bike and those handlebars I think. Had to brake and lay bike down at intersection to keep oncoming lady turning left from plastering me. Was a Maxwell Smart "Missed me that much!" 70 year old elbow survived a nice bounce off the pavement. Only unexpected thing was the gal stopped and profusely apologized.

Mark my words, someone is going to get hurt or killed at the Theodore Wirth Parkway/Glenwood Ave intersection this summer. Less than 150 feet from me was a big class of middle school kids on a big group ride. It's crazy hazardous given the clueless auto drivers during rush hour and the oblivious "adult" trail riders. Throw in the ******* roadies that think they should be able to bike through on this narrow two-way path at 25 mph and it's perfect storm of bad design meets the moron people.

I don’t know where this is but glad you lived to ride another day!

Reactions: Ms3r4ISU

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
What are you running now?

@NWICYSorry, just saw this. Last couple of years I've been on a Schwabe Pro One. Probably the lowest rolling resistance tire I've ever been on. First it was tubeless with sealant, and then went back to a tube (with sealant) because the pressure on a road tire is too high to keep the sealant from oozing out.

Went to the new Continental 5000 this year and it's good. I've had one flat in 3 rides. 25, 37, and 71 miles. Still trying to figure out a long term answer. The problem now is that I understand what a truly low rolling resistance tire feels like and I don't want to get away from it. LOL Thinking about trying those Mr Tuffy's liners another poster mentioned here. I've also been reading about a couple of sealants that work better under high pressure. The rear is where I have 90% of my problems.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I don't know what it is, but I seem to get a piece of metal stuck in my rear brake pads all the time. I'm also watching this thread as I've had flat tires lately and debating on new tires.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
@NWICYSorry, just saw this. Last couple of years I've been on a Schwabe Pro One. Probably the lowest rolling resistance tire I've ever been on. First it was tubeless with sealant, and then went back to a tube (with sealant) because the pressure on a road tire is too high to keep the sealant from oozing out.

Went to the new Continental 5000 this year and it's good. I've had one flat in 3 rides. 25, 37, and 71 miles. Still trying to figure out a long term answer. The problem now is that I understand what a truly low rolling resistance tire feels like and I don't want to get away from it. LOL Thinking about trying those Mr Tuffy's liners another poster mentioned here. I've also been reading about a couple of sealants that work better under high pressure. The rear is where I have 90% of my problems.
Just put a pair of 5000’s on my bike last night. I usually ran with Michelin’s and had good luck with them, but saw a pair of these for $80 and will give them a try.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Just put a pair of 5000’s on my bike last night. I usually ran with Michelin’s and had good luck with them, but saw a pair of these for $80 and will give them a try.
Well, I have gotten 2 flats in 30 miles riding the 5000’s. The first flat was 1 mile into the ride and I’ll take the blame for that. I believe the tube wasn’t 100% tucked inside the bead after inflation. Rode fine for 1 mile and then BOOM, a section of the tire was off the rim and tube blown out. My fault. That’s also probably the last time I reuse old tubes that are stretched out and I have to tuck in about 1” of excess/stretched tube.
Flat #2 I found a piece of glass the size of a grain of sand embedded in the tire and a very slow leak. It was fun changing that last night in the dark on the Chicago bike trail.

Could it be horrible luck and a coincidence? Possibly.
But, I just rode my old set of Michelin’s for a couple thousand miles on the same trail with zero flats. I’m going to give the 5000’s one more chance before I change back.

• Informative
Reactions: usedcarguy

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
What up biking peeps? Anyone heat stroke yet?

Have managed to not die from the heat, yet, although 101 heat index here for yesterdays ride was stupid hot for Mpls. Seems my 20-25 mile fitness rides have been more 20ish this summer. Did finally get the new tires onto the roadie after staring at them for a month.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Anyone ever see anything like this blowout? Heard something not right and stopped bike to inspect. Rolled front tire all good. Tried to roll back and it was stuck. Bent down to look and ****** exploded with bang that left my right ear ringing. Only 500 miles on these tires, same Kendas that went 2000+ as previous set. Guess tire defect? Was inflated to 95 psi just before ride, I'm around 155 or so and don't need max pressure.

Fun 3 mile walk home doing a carry and half carry so I didn't damage the rim. good exercise I guess.

tire blowout 1000x600 compressed.jpg

Yaz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 29, 2018
Anyone ever see anything like this blowout? Heard something not right and stopped bike to inspect. Rolled front tire all good. Tried to roll back and it was stuck. Bent down to look and ****** exploded with bang that left my right ear ringing. Only 500 miles on these tires, same Kendas that went 2000+ as previous set. Guess tire defect? Was inflated to 95 psi just before ride, I'm around 155 or so and don't need max pressure.

Fun 3 mile walk home doing a carry and half carry so I didn't damage the rim. good exercise I guess.

View attachment 90265
Glad you were not bombing a hill! What type of tire, air-pressure and surface were you riding?

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx

View attachment 90265
Ouch, never seen a tire go like that. I’d expect the tube to puncture before the tire could get ripped open that far.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Emailed Kenda Tires last night and they got back to me already this morning and are sending me a new tire.

Debating now whether to put an old tire back on or ride the hybrid till new tire arrives. Thinking tire change since super nice out today and would like to finish that ride I started yesterday. By chance had saved the best of the two old tires from July.

Cyclone5234

Nov 29, 2018
Indiana
College Student here. Currently in a marketing project having to do with a bike rack product. Basically, at this point need as many responses to our survey about the product as possible. Personally, don't know a ton of "Real" bikers so trying to get this survey out to as many riders as possible. I saw there was a cycling thread and figured I'd just throw it out there.

It's not a ton of questions and would greatly appreciate it if anyone would take the time to fill it out. Thanks :)

cyclonesurveyor

Jan 26, 2009
Fort Collins, CO
College Student here. Currently in a marketing project having to do with a bike rack product. Basically, at this point need as many responses to our survey about the product as possible. Personally, don't know a ton of "Real" bikers so trying to get this survey out to as many riders as possible. I saw there was a cycling thread and figured I'd just throw it out there.

It's not a ton of questions and would greatly appreciate it if anyone would take the time to fill it out. Thanks :)

Done.

Not a fan - looks like it would take forever just to get the bike on and locked in, let alone I would lose those pins right away. The sea sucker brand mounts are pretty slick with less hardware to lose.

But something like that for a kayak or SUP to easily switch to different vehicles would be interesting.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Bump.

Where everybody at?

I'm way behind my usual mileage pace for my seasonal fitness rides. Weather's not cooperated with the wind blowing like crazy all of June. I'm in decent shape for a very senior biker but not in biking shape and not getting into bike shape very quickly. Hard to judge when it seems to be gusting into the 20's and 30's every damn day. Maybe I just got old over the winter. Or both.