***General Cycling Thread***

cyclonesurveyor

Jan 26, 2009
Fort Collins, CO
Just ride baby...........

Last week was a first for me - a 2 night, San Juan Hut tour of canyons ride from Grand Junction to Moab. Of coarse the weather was the worse we've had in months, Tuesday morning start was "feels like" 7 degrees and that night in the Gateway hut it was 20 degrees. But the views on the ride itself were stunning.

Attachments

• bike1.JPG
    bike1.JPG
    147.8 KB · Views: 22

Yaz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 29, 2018
Just ride baby...........

Last week was a first for me - a 2 night, San Juan Hut tour of canyons ride from Grand Junction to Moab. Of coarse the weather was the worse we've had in months, Tuesday morning start was "feels like" 7 degrees and that night in the Gateway hut it was 20 degrees. But the views on the ride itself were stunning.

I see you were very well prepared with your Bike Iowa Koozie. Nice!

Reactions: cyclonesurveyor

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
Looking to turn my dumb trainer into something I could use with a zwift account. Anyone have any good speed and cadence sensors? I have looked at a few on Amazon, but struggling to figure out what would be best. Don't really want to spend $$$ on a new trainer.

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
Looking to turn my dumb trainer into something I could use with a zwift account. Anyone have any good speed and cadence sensors? I have looked at a few on Amazon, but struggling to figure out what would be best. Don't really want to spend $$$ on a new trainer.

Garmin Speed and Cadence

My fiance and I use these for our bike computers which also will connect to a PC/Apple TV to run Zwift. That's how she uses Zwift on her dumb trainer.

Reactions: moores2

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
Garmin Speed and Cadence

My fiance and I use these for our bike computers which also will connect to a PC/Apple TV to run Zwift. That's how she uses Zwift on her dumb trainer.
do they have an app that they connect to as well? Just wondering if I could connect them to my phone when we can finally get back outside as well.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
do they have an app that they connect to as well? Just wondering if I could connect them to my phone when we can finally get back outside as well.

I use the wahoo app for my sensor. Their app connects to most brands of sensors (I use a saris sensor). Tracks speed and route well.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: Tri4Cy and moores2

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
any troubles with Bluetooth kicking in and out?

Not so far. Been using it since fall so not much outdoors yet.

I will also put a plug in for Ram mounts to mount your phone to your bike. Very sturdy and easy to get on and off without special cases or things to attach to your phone.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
Not so far. Been using it since fall so not much outdoors yet.

I will also put a plug in for Ram mounts to mount your phone to your bike. Very sturdy and easy to get on and off without special cases or things to attach to your phone.
I guess I am not familiar with ram mounts.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
Also, any weekend warrior ride groups in Des Moines? We live a couple hours away so weeknights are no good, but we usually get down every other weekend or so.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
So, got 2000 miles or so on my road bike tires and time to at least replace front and rotate that to rear. Looking for some tire advice. Bike is a carbon Raleigh Revenio that came with smooth 700x25C 60 TPI Kendra Kountachs. I've liked them just fine, smooth rolling as far as I can tell and been very durable, but Kendra doesn't seem to have a match that isn't 120 TPI. I am not looking for super light weight and liked the 60 TPI just fine and so far want to stay there for extra durability. Or does 60 vs 120 even matter for a pavement rider?

Pushing 70 here so not a long distance or speed guy. Rides are usually 25-30 mile fitness rides on paved trails and streets, a good uninterrupted cruising speed for the old man is 15-16 mph, not much faster. Also light weight guy for whatever that matters at <160.

Edit: Found the model number and it looks like they still make it in 120 TPI and it's on overstock sale at $30.

Last edited:

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
? Indoors. Why bother.

Don't have a fat tire bike. So in the winter it's a trainer or nothing. But if you set it up in front of the TV it isn't too bad.

Now that it is spring, I still recommend the Wahoo app and bluetooth sensor outdoors as well. Works flawlessly. Have a Wahoo speed sensor on one bike and a Saris sensor on the other. Tracks speed and distance well with the sensor as well as track you on a map via GPS. Get a phone mount, $30 or so sensor, and the free app and you're set. Could add another sensor for cadence or a watch for heartrate if you're interested in those as well.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
What are people thought on Continental Gator Skins? Looking for some new rubber on my road bike?

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
What are people thought on Continental Gator Skins? Looking for some new rubber on my road bike?

I've used them in the past. The rolling resistance isn't great, but they're definitely puncture resistant. I still get flats with them, but not as many. I'm a pretty heavy rider though and that doesn't help.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

clonechemist

Apr 3, 2007
Philadelphia
So, got 2000 miles or so on my road bike tires and time to at least replace front and rotate that to rear. Looking for some tire advice. Bike is a carbon Raleigh Revenio that came with smooth 700x25C 60 TPI Kendra Kountachs. I've liked them just fine, smooth rolling as far as I can tell and been very durable, but Kendra doesn't seem to have a match that isn't 120 TPI. I am not looking for super light weight and liked the 60 TPI just fine and so far want to stay there for extra durability. Or does 60 vs 120 even matter for a pavement rider?

Pushing 70 here so not a long distance or speed guy. Rides are usually 25-30 mile fitness rides on paved trails and streets, a good uninterrupted cruising speed for the old man is 15-16 mph, not much faster. Also light weight guy for whatever that matters at <160.

Edit: Found the model number and it looks like they still make it in 120 TPI and it's on overstock sale at $30.

Continental GP4000 is the correct answer - first experienced them in 2011 and I'll never ride another tire on my road bike. Nothing else is close. Grippy, supple, smoooooooooth.... If you're riding paved roads for pleasure, nothing else comes close.

Continental recently released a GP5000 which is supposedly an upgraded GP4000, but I haven't tried them yet.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I've used them in the past. The rolling resistance isn't great, but they're definitely puncture resistant. I still get flats with them, but not as many. I'm a pretty heavy rider though and that doesn't help.

What are you running now?