***General Cycling Thread***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I personally would stay away from the tubeless tires. Just seems like something that is going to leave you stranded more often than the tubed tires. even if you punch a hole in a tire, you can usually put something over the hole and limp on it with a tube. I usually carry a $1 bill in my bag for this, or in case there is a strip joint on the ride.

I'm not going to try it again. I will say that they were a better ride for the first few miles and riding at lower pressure was nice which was the reason I got them. I was also under the impression, for some reason, that putting tubes in was a more difficult process, not a 5 minute deal.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Nah. That was going to put me significantly above what I wanted to spend and I wanted to make sure I was going to like the hobby before I spent that much. I also looked for used but didn't find much. Of course, as soon as I bought that one a bunch started popping up online. That's fine. With a few tweaks I can make that bike pretty fast and it's real comfortable. If I ever decide to get something faster, it'll be a completely different frame anyway.
You might find some nice barely used bikes next season when all the Covid buyers realize it takes energy to cycle.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
You might find some nice barely used bikes next season when all the Covid buyers realize it takes energy to cycle.

That's true. I'm more hopeful that I can find some component upgrades (Hyd. disc, wheelset) to just amp up my bike a little bit because I really do like the comfort of my Synapse. From reading, it reads like it's supposed to be a pretty fast alloy bike but probably is quit as nice as a Roubaix in terms of handling vibration. I'm going to have to get a lot better/faster before I can claim my bike is a limiting factor. I have a 6.5 mile loop that I can ride out of my back door with two pretty sizable climbs so with that plus a long ride or two a week, I'm hoping things are pretty good by the middle or end of next summer. Of course, dropping a bunch of pounds would help as well.

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
Thinking about adding a rack trunk or panniers to my bike. Pros/cons of each? Any suggestions?

I prefer panniers on a rack. I typically can slide my U-lock down one side of the rack where it just hangs, and have one pannier on the other side. One pannier is enough to keep most of what I would need - extra clothes, lights, and space to put more things. I also have a cooler that I built to fit on the rack as a pannier, for when the need presents itself. Nice thing about panniers is that they come off easily, so you can bring inside with you if you're worried about stuff being stolen.

Colorado

Aug 29, 2008
Colorado
I will die on the Arkel hill every second of every day of my life when it comes to packs and bags.
Arsenal fan with obvious questionable judgement says what...?

One thing I like most about the Ortliebs is the coating on the bag. It's very easy to clean if you do get caught in the rain and have debris/dirt all over them.

Colorado

Aug 29, 2008
Colorado
Panniers pros - size, can fit a lot in there and in odd sizes, can easily be taken off the bike and used like a backpack or shoulder bag. Cons: big, bulky, not aero, can make crosswinds fun

Rack bag pros - small size, cheaper, lighter. Cons: can't hold as much, not as easy to carry around off the bike

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Arsenal fan with obvious questionable judgement says what...?

One thing I like most about the Ortliebs is the coating on the bag. It's very easy to clean if you do get caught in the rain and have debris/dirt all over them.

Pffft...listen to this guy, “clean”...who does that? :)

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Nah. That was going to put me significantly above what I wanted to spend and I wanted to make sure I was going to like the hobby before I spent that much. I also looked for used but didn't find much. Of course, as soon as I bought that one a bunch started popping up online. That's fine. With a few tweaks I can make that bike pretty fast and it's real comfortable. If I ever decide to get something faster, it'll be a completely different frame anyway.

It's a sharp looking bike! When I saw the black spokes I thought maybe it was full carbon. Enjoy your new hobby!

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
The look on her face is like, "I've really got to drop a duece! I don't know how much longer I can hold my glutes this tight! "

I see that look or the late "look away" from gal bikers all of the time. From a distance I look okay approaching, nice bike, dressed well, lean and not fat etc. When they get close enough to see my face and can see I am REALLY old and they do the "Ewwww, old guy". Makes me laugh. :rolleyes:

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
Just a heads up for anyone interested. There is a Bru to Bru ride coming up on Saturday. I am assuming it will be pretty poorly attended vs big rides and may be a good opportunity to get some miles in. It goes from Timbukbru in Iowa Falls (A local brewery 2nd location) starting at 9 am and goes to Clarion Timbukbru (original location). I think as of right now there are less than 50 people signed up.

I know there will be some outside food and beverages available along the way. Hit up Timbukbru facebook page for more details.

Sorry for the Ad, I am not affiliated with Timbukbru just participating.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Can you see this jersey? Asking for confirmation that is not like some sort of Harry Potter cloak of invisibility. Twice today cars doing rolling stops through stop signs apparently could not see it. One kid cell phone distracted and one old gray haired jackass driving a BMW. At least they didn't have deep tinted windshields and I could see they weren't looking my way.

yellow bike jersey cf scale.jpg

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I personally would stay away from the tubeless tires. Just seems like something that is going to leave you stranded more often than the tubed tires. even if you punch a hole in a tire, you can usually put something over the hole and limp on it with a tube. I usually carry a $1 bill in my bag for this, or in case there is a strip joint on the ride.
Tubeless are great for gravel. Keep a spare tube though.

The dollar bill works great.