***General Cycling Thread***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I've ridden up Mt Evans 5 or 6 times. The gradient isn't bad but there's no oxygen in your lungs. The last several switchbacks are miserable

Damn that's a feat. I just was going to bike down but my wife was didn't want to drive down the road. LOL

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
Not wanting to derail completely but anyone know what the current status of the battle between the City of Minburn and the 1914 bar? It's a great spot to stop for drink on that trail so I hope they aren't closing their doors soon.

• Agree
Reactions: ISUcyclones11

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Rode. Windy. Slow. DND.

Shook fist at the wind, 21 W and gusts to 35 mph. Cannot escape it this summer.

viento-windy.gif

• Friendly
Reactions: NWICY

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
Not wanting to derail completely but anyone know what the current status of the battle between the City of Minburn and the 1914 bar? It's a great spot to stop for drink on that trail so I hope they aren't closing their doors soon.
They are suppose to be out of the building this weekend. I have not heard if that changed. I talked to Scott Sumpter from Bike Iowa this week on Ragbrai and he didn't think anything changed.

I could be wrong.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

Never ride except local in Minnesota so I've never been there but that situation seems odd. Not sure why lease couldn't continue while they try to sell the building. The old Hopkins depot here is owned by the Metropolitans Council and a student run coffee shop is located in it. Too bad the trail owners, Central Iowa Energy Cooperative, don't buy and lease it but guessing they don't want to be in the landlord business although they could likely afford the property.

ISUcyclones11

Dec 11, 2014
Ankeny, IA
Anyone able to get thru the new part of Neal Smith between interstate and trestle bridge?

Last time i went thru 2 weeks ago it was a pile of mud

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Weird urban fitness ride yesterday, not windy, not even gusts that meet NWS definition of a gust. Ride was actually half pleasurable, unusual for 2022.

Back to normal today, gusts in the 20's and, since I am riding tomorrow, in the 30's forecast for Sunday.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
They are suppose to be out of the building this weekend. I have not heard if that changed. I talked to Scott Sumpter from Bike Iowa this week on Ragbrai and he didn't think anything changed.

I could be wrong.
Good news, stopped in this weekend they will be open thru December. Looking forward to some Fall rides out there. That trail is in nice shape and a good wind block for these crazy windy Iowa days.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
There was NO biking in the northland today. Heat index topped out at 105 and wind gusted to 43 mph. Just no to the go.
Rode RAGBRAI on Friday. Such a great time! No real wind until the last few miles and wasn’t hot.

Reactions: simply1

Clone95

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 13, 2019
I didn't look at the whole site, but wanting to know about saddles. I am old, have always been tall and skinny. How can I say this for polite company......? I have saggy, loose butt skin. The skin folds over in the upper thighs where I sit. I have tried to use the "second skin" adhesive bandages, but then THEY fold over. Anything over 20 miles and there is raw sores.

THIS was never a problem until I got to be about mid 70's. If I was close to a trail, I would get a recumbent, but I am not, and I don't feel safe road biking with the very low profile.

So.....back to the question. Any recommendations? Is there any gel seats that "roll" with the skin? I have used the gel ankle sleeves before for ice skating, and that worked wonders.
Get a brooks B17 saddle and go with compression shorts with no pad. Wears in like a baseball glove. Better than any padded saddle/short combo I’ve ever tried.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
Get a brooks B17 saddle and go with compression shorts with no pad. Wears in like a baseball glove. Better than any padded saddle/short combo I’ve ever tried.
I freaking love my Brooks saddle. A week of ragbrai and I could still sit on the ground without feeling like my butt was sore. Best purchase ever.

• Informative
Reactions: SCarolinaCy

Robb

Sep 11, 2011
West Des Moines
I freaking love my Brooks saddle. A week of ragbrai and I could still sit on the ground without feeling like my butt was sore. Best purchase ever.
I have a Brooks Cambium on my main bike and really like it, its so comfy and don't have to worry if it gets wet.

I just ordered a WTB pure for my indoor bike, will report back on that one in a few weeks of breaking in.

• Informative
Reactions: SCarolinaCy