***General Cycling Thread***

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
I didn't look at the whole site, but wanting to know about saddles. I am old, have always been tall and skinny. How can I say this for polite company......? I have saggy, loose butt skin. The skin folds over in the upper thighs where I sit. I have tried to use the "second skin" adhesive bandages, but then THEY fold over. Anything over 20 miles and there is raw sores.

THIS was never a problem until I got to be about mid 70's. If I was close to a trail, I would get a recumbent, but I am not, and I don't feel safe road biking with the very low profile.

So.....back to the question. Any recommendations? Is there any gel seats that "roll" with the skin? I have used the gel ankle sleeves before for ice skating, and that worked wonders.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
35 miles in today. Wife is on RAGBRAI, I'm home working, with the kids this week. $#&!*

Got in an old man 32 miles. Windy, of course, gusting to 26 mph cause Minnesota summer 2022. Fortunately the big gusts were not frequent. Still, whitecaps on lake Bde Maka Ska when I biked pass.

Reactions: CRcyclone6

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Got in an old man 32 miles. Windy, of course, gusting to 26 mph cause Minnesota summer 2022. Fortunately the big gusts were not frequent. Still, whitecaps on lake Bde Maka Ska when I biked pass.

So anything notable on bike about?

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Big purchases in our household this weekend. Mommy and 4 yr old both getting first big kids bikes. Lots of great help here and I ended up with a Marin Terra Linda ( basically women's version of Fairfax) which I really liked. And oldest turned 4 yesterday and got a Guardian Ethos after wearing out his strider past 2 yrs. No pedals just yet until he's used to the handbrake but we'll get there.

Last edited:

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
8 busses in Marne yesterday when I drove through and 3 on the way to I80. Saw bikes trying to go over Teton Pass last week, 90+ degrees and windy. I like flat land riding for fun. That didn't look fun!

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
I didn't look at the whole site, but wanting to know about saddles. I am old, have always been tall and skinny. How can I say this for polite company......? I have saggy, loose butt skin. The skin folds over in the upper thighs where I sit. I have tried to use the "second skin" adhesive bandages, but then THEY fold over. Anything over 20 miles and there is raw sores.

THIS was never a problem until I got to be about mid 70's. If I was close to a trail, I would get a recumbent, but I am not, and I don't feel safe road biking with the very low profile.

So.....back to the question. Any recommendations? Is there any gel seats that "roll" with the skin? I have used the gel ankle sleeves before for ice skating, and that worked wonders.
Chamois butter? Assume you've tried that.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
I have some business news to share. We will be distributing KTM bicycles right out of Ames IA and it is my hope to get as many Cyclone fans on their bikes as possible.

I am sure many might know the motorcycles. For those that are not familiar with bike brands in Europe it was not uncommon for auto and moto brands to also produce bikes early on. Peugout, Puch, Astro-Diamler, heck even Kettler (think ping-pong tables) makes bikes.

This is not just another license. This one of the largest bike brands in Europe. To add to the legitimacy of the brand KTM even had a Tour team this year.

Here is the press release along with the European website for all there bikes. Feel free to send me any inquiries. We will have some select bikes as early Nov with the majority coming next spring.

Reactions: DSMCy and NWICY

Colorado

Aug 29, 2008
Colorado
I ended up doing 80 miles on Saturday instead of a century. The friend I was riding with got up early and did 26 miles before I got there. For anyone in Colorado, it was my first time riding Rist Canyon. There are 3 or 4 extended sections with 10-15% grade at 7k+ altitude. I was pedaling squares

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I ended up doing 80 miles on Saturday instead of a century. The friend I was riding with got up early and did 26 miles before I got there. For anyone in Colorado, it was my first time riding Rist Canyon. There are 3 or 4 extended sections with 10-15% grade at 7k+ altitude. I was pedaling squares

I went to the top of Mt Evans(?) The highest peak in N.A. that you can drive. After about a hour up there I started to feel a little light headed. Biking around Keystone I was doing OK but that was fairly level with no big grades going up. Nice job to survive that biking!

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

At my age I won't even attempt 20 miles of that. DND (Did Not Die) is pretty high on my senior biker ride requirements. ;)

Reactions: Cyismymonkey

Colorado

Aug 29, 2008
Colorado
I went to the top of Mt Evans(?) The highest peak in N.A. that you can drive. After about a hour up there I started to feel a little light headed. Biking around Keystone I was doing OK but that was fairly level with no big grades going up. Nice job to survive that biking!
I've ridden up Mt Evans 5 or 6 times. The gradient isn't bad but there's no oxygen in your lungs. The last several switchbacks are miserable

• Wow
Reactions: NWICY

cyclonesurveyor

Jan 26, 2009
Fort Collins, CO
Rist is out my back door - kinda. Did you loop it or just up and back down?

cyclonesurveyor

Jan 26, 2009
Fort Collins, CO
I rode a hilly thirtyone yesterday. Made the northwest wind work for me as much as possible. Rode my recently purchased Surly Long Haul Trucker. A really nice old bike.
This is where I am on bikes too, I am gravitating towards the older stuff (not too old). I have a newish carbon CX/gravel bike but ride my older SS All-City Nature boy most of the time. Mountain biking I split between a carbon full squish and a 2011 Niner SIR9 rigid SS.

cyclonesurveyor

Jan 26, 2009
Fort Collins, CO
I have some business news to share. We will be distributing KTM bicycles right out of Ames IA and it is my hope to get as many Cyclone fans on their bikes as possible.

I am sure many might know the motorcycles. For those that are not familiar with bike brands in Europe it was not uncommon for auto and moto brands to also produce bikes early on. Peugout, Puch, Astro-Diamler, heck even Kettler (think ping-pong tables) makes bikes.

This is not just another license. This one of the largest bike brands in Europe. To add to the legitimacy of the brand KTM even had a Tour team this year.

Here is the press release along with the European website for all there bikes. Feel free to send me any inquiries. We will have some select bikes as early Nov with the majority coming next spring.

I was just trying to get a quick sunday ride in yesterday and ended up on a gravel race course (Foco Fondo) for the last bit, and ended up chatting with a guy living in Ames putting together bikes, but I thought he said 3T bikes.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
This is where I am on bikes too, I am gravitating towards the older stuff (not too old). I have a newish carbon CX/gravel bike but ride my older SS All-City Nature boy most of the time. Mountain biking I split between a carbon full squish and a 2011 Niner SIR9 rigid SS.

Same. I always go back to my Cross-Check.

Reactions: cyclonesurveyor

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
I was just trying to get a quick sunday ride in yesterday and ended up on a gravel race course (Foco Fondo) for the last bit, and ended up chatting with a guy living in Ames putting together bikes, but I thought he said 3T bikes.
That’s us! We don’t sell those though. Strictly 3PL services and assembly. We should have some new brands coming onto that program as well but we are more behind the scene with those projects.

Reactions: cyclonesurveyor

Help Support Us

Become a patron