***General Cycling Thread***

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Daily wind hate posting. Gusting to 46 mph here. Grrrr.

Wednesday Edit: And today it's still 20mph and gusting to 38 mph. Again. Every. Damn. Day. :mad:

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Tried a Brookes Cambium saddle last year, their synthetic version of the leather. Didn't like it and switched back to my Specialized after a few rides. Was looking at it in my garage and thought I'd give selling in on Craigslist for 1/2 price a try. Posted yesterday and sold it already this morning after only one scam inquiry. CL is so hit and miss. Next getting rid of stuff may be my old Bianchi Backstreet hybrid. Maybe ask $50 or just give it to the shop in Columbia Heights that accepts donations to fix up. Not as light as current hybrid's but still would be a solid city bike for someone.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
The more you ride in it, the stronger you become. Plan your ride to go out against the wind, come back with it.

A little beyond the age of "building" strength, would like to sort of maintain what I have though. Trying to plan a route right now so, of course, NWS web here is down. The wind gods hate me and will shift the direction to personally **** with me.

• Haha
Reactions: BigBake

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
A little beyond the age of "building" strength, would like to sort of maintain what I have though. Trying to plan a route right now so, of course, NWS web here is down. The wind gods hate me and will shift the direction to personally **** with me.

Get the Windy app. Must have for cyclists and golfers imo.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Get the Windy app. Must have for cyclists and golfers imo.

Just looked at their web site, thanks. Looks pretty good for planning NW all afternoon. Rules out the Midtown Greenway wind tunnel so will head west on Cedar Road and hit some round about lakes after an out and back.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
The more you ride in it, the stronger you become. Plan your ride to go out against the wind, come back with it.

Got in 30 miles, wind died down just a little.

Okay fitness ride, well short of Christopher Cross Ride Like The Wind but still better than a Foghat Slow Ride. **

And DND. DND is big on my ride markers.

** Note: All speed expectations are generously adjusted down by age and actual capability. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: NWICY and Yaz

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

LOL I had that happen on a day when it was damn close to 100, set the route into the wind got 20 miles out wind switched on me, lots of breaks before I finally made it back to my car.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Used to catch the tailwind and then train it back on those days lol

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
LOL I had that happen on a day when it was damn close to 100, set the route into the wind got 20 miles out wind switched on me, lots of breaks before I finally made it back to my car.

That’s why the “Future Winds” feature on the Windy app is one of the best and must have apps for cyclists.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I'm way behind this year on miles...

Its important to support your local bike shop BTW if you can. Also, part of owning a bike is knowing your bike and how to do the basics like changing a tire, seating a tire, lubing.... and prevention of issues too. The amount of people that ride bikes and don't know how to replace a tube/patch is staggering. YT is a great resource.
You know what gets me? The number of people that ride past me (either direction) with chains that sound like they were found at the bottom of a lake. Nice bikes and fit//fast/experienced riders, too!
Completely blows my mind.

Reactions: Yaz

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Good question, I see a Windy.com app and a Windy.app app.

Reactions: Cydkar

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
You know what gets me? The number of people that ride past me (either direction) with chains that sound like they were found at the bottom of a lake. Nice bikes and fit//fast/experienced riders, too!
Completely blows my mind.

That’s me lol. I like riding bikes not cleaning bike chains.

@BigBake

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Caught a car that honked and yelled out as they passed me later at a stop light. I could have handled it better, but it’s so rare to get the opportunity.

Reactions: wintersmd

wintersmd

Jul 2, 2014
Caught a car that honked and yelled out as they passed me later at a stop light. I could have handled it better, but it’s so rare to get the opportunity.
Got shot with a paint gun a few years ago. Was able to catch up because of a stoplight. I stopped behind them and took a photo of the license plate. Car full of kids where sh*tting themselves. Turned the photo over to the cops.
That happened when I was in El Paso. Turned out to be kids of a USASMA classmate.

Reactions: simply1

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

Help Support Us

Become a patron