Gabe Kalscheur Commits

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Absolutely. Some of it is coach mentality, and style as well. Prohm and Hoiberg were never the same as Eustachy when it came to rebounds.

I would say Hoiberg was very lucky to have a guy like Ejim, followed by Hogue. Those guys just knew how to rebound. Without their ability to rebound, those teams could have looked much different, because Niang wasn't that type of post player. The good news is, sometimes it only takes that one guy to change everything.

Agreed. The other aspect that gets overlooked with Fred's teams, his guards were solid rebounders. Monte was a great rebounder for a PG. Naz, Matt and Babb were also good for 4-5 rebounds a game.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I have seen nothing that indicates that other coaches were contacted or interviewed. If other coaches had been interviewed, it would have been made public by Pollard to bolster his decision.

What is your basis for concluding he was the best option if there is nothing to indicate other coaches were contacted or interviewed?
Sorry Phil Jackson wasn't interested but who did you want to get instead?

There ended up being many jobs at programs in alot better shape than Iowa State right now and all of the hires are extremely underwhelming if you ask me.

Indiana, Penn St, Minnesota, Texas Tech are all better programs right now and hired coaches I've never even heard of.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Sorry Phil Jackson wasn't interested but who did you want to get instead?

There ended up being many jobs at programs in alot better shape than Iowa State right now and all of the hires are extremely underwhelming if you ask me.

Indiana, Penn St, Minnesota, Texas Tech are all better programs right now and hired coaches I've never even heard of.
So who are the coaches that we all “would’ve liked”? I don’t think any of them ended up being realistic and / or they ended up going to a worse school than Iowa State.

Reactions: Ankency and baagoe

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
If Prohm is coach this kid doesn't come here - not bagging on him but his last couple years in the transfer market has been rough and that's putting it nicely.

Good work TJ! I see a real plan starting to formulate.
I don't know about that. JCL, Hinson & Bolton were all fairly comparable transfers to Kalscheur.

Reactions: cyclonehomer

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Agreed. The other aspect that gets overlooked with Fred's teams, his guards were solid rebounders. Monte was a great rebounder for a PG. Naz, Matt and Babb were also good for 4-5 rebounds a game.
I think Fred designed it that way. Get your bigs running and your guards/wings to rebound and get the fast break pass moving down court. I don’t think the rebounding ability of his guards or the fact that most of his bigs could run the court was a coincidence.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
So who are the coaches that we all “would’ve liked”? I don’t think any of them ended up being realistic and / or they ended up going to a worse school than Iowa State.
It’s sad when national guys put a greater value on the job than our own fans. Sometimes you have to take what Pollard says with a huge grain of salt.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
It’s sad when national guys put a greater value on the job than our own fans. Sometimes you have to take what Pollard says with a huge grain of salt.
It doesn’t matter anymore anyway since TJ’s the coach. So far, I’ve liked how things have went. Still way early obviously.

Jerms

May 13, 2011
Atlantic, IA
I have seen nothing that indicates that other coaches were contacted or interviewed. If other coaches had been interviewed, it would have been made public by Pollard to bolster his decision.

What is your basis for concluding he was the best option if there is nothing to indicate other coaches were contacted or interviewed?
On any of Pollard’s hires what indications were there of other coaches being contacted or interviewed? Pollard has always been very secretive on coaching hires and I think it’s better this way. Concluding that Pollard didn’t talk to anybody just because he didn’t make it public doesn’t make sense. It’s clear Pollard doesn’t care what we think of how he does things.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque

Another way to look at this instead of names, is hiring process.

I don't see the ISU, TT, UNC, UNLV and Gopher hiring processes any different. Each focused on a coach with a prior relationship at the school as an assistant coach. Even Texas was laser focused in on Chris Beard an alumnus, In none of the situations did the AD interview a large group of candidates.

In the cases of Minnesota and Texas- it seems like the interviewing of Jacobson and Ivey were formalities to allow the AD to say they cast a small net. So not sure why people are upset that Jamie didn't go through a FALSE process.

ISUguy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Another way to look at this instead of names, is hiring process.

I don't see the ISU, TT, UNC, UNLV and Gopher hiring processes any different. Each focused on a coach with a prior relationship at the school as an assistant coach. Even Texas was laser focused in on Chris Beard an alumnus, In none of the situations did the AD interview a large group of candidates.

In the cases of Minnesota and Texas- it seems like the interviewing of Jacobson and Ivey were formalities to allow the AD to say they cast a small net. So not sure why people are upset that Jamie didn't go through a FALSE process.
I agree. And...hoping we can put this conversation behind us now. Look, think, and move forward everyone. We had awesome news on the recruiting front today and there are still spots to fill. Hiring process does not matter. TJ is our guy and so far, he is delivering.

Thorongil Clone

Gone to Numenor
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2021
Altman was ready. We never reached out to Coach K or Mark Few, so how do we know? Hell, we should have talked to Beard--he's already pretty good at winning games in Hilton. :jimlad:

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Altman was ready. We never reached out to Coach K or Mark Few, so how do we know? Hell, we should have talked to Beard--he's already pretty good at winning games in Hilton. :jimlad:
I didn’t mean those guys, but more Craig Smith (who’s now at Utah), Gates from Cleveland State coach (didn’t get hired anywhere), the Winthrop coach (hired at UMass?).

Either way, I think that Porter Moser would be the only viable option considering he took the OU job, but who knows.

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020

So what’s your basis for concluding he wasn’t the best option. Not a rant about what you think the process should have been.