Friday OT - Tri-Cameral

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
We might have done this already, so I apologize if we did. What are your favorite movie trilogies? What are the best movie trilogies, if not the same as your favorite?

My obvious initial answer would be Godfather 1-3, but I really didn't love the third one (Sofia Coppola is a much better director these days than anything she did adjacent to that movie). I am not a Star Wars fan personally, so that isn't my personal favorite/best. I'd have to put it at either the Back to the Future series, or maybe LOTR.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Christopher Nolan's Batman Trilogy

Edit: The Cornetto Trilogy is probably my favorite: Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz and The World's End

Last edited:

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
I think this has been discussed, but it was at least a few years ago. I'm sure newer members would not have seen it, however long ago it was.

Mine would be a story trilogy that is part of a larger string of films. Star Treks II, III, and IV are a really fun storyline arc. The Wrath of Khan is action/adventure that picks up on an original series story 15 years later. The Search for Spock was a darker look at how far one might go in the name of friendship. And The Voyage Home was a much lighter comedic/environmental story. All were well-done (IMO) and I enjoy watching any of them whenever they're on.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Star Treks II, III, and IV are a really fun storyline arc.

Ha, you beat me to it, here I thought I had an original take. TWOK is a classic, but the other 2 are uneven. III is underrated, Christopher Lloyd was great.

The original Star Wars 4-5-6. The first 3 Terminator movies maybe. Indiana Jones.

But the winner here is definitely LOTR. Incredibly well done movies of an all time classic epic. I don't think Godfather or the Nolan Batmans live up to it.

Angie, proposed future OT: WORST movie trilogies / series lol.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I would have to go with LOTR as my favorite. The Godfather would probably be a close second however, it might just give LOTR a run for its money for best trilogy. I have to throw Indiana Jones in there. The first one is a classic, I'm kind of meh on the second one, but the third is great. I'm sure glad they didn't try to come back and make a fourth one with an aging Harrison Ford. I think Star Wars 4-6 would be next. Then I go with Austin Powers.

Honorable mention to Mad Max original trilogy. Gibson dubbing is painful in the first but the series is solid for 70's and 80's budget films.

EDIT: I don't know what I was thinking when I put Terminator in the HM. The first two were pretty good but I forgot about that abomination with Claire Danes. I am striking Ahhnold from my list.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: oldman and Angie

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
I would have to go with LOTR as my favorite. The Godfather would probably be a close second however, it might just give LOTR a run for its money for best trilogy. I have to throw Indiana Jones in there. The first one is a classic, I'm kind of meh on the second one, but the third is great. I'm sure glad they didn't try to come back and make a fourth one with an aging Harrison Ford. I think Star Wars 4-6 would be next. Then I go with Austin Powers.

Honorable mention to Mad Max original trilogy. Gibson dubbing is painful in the first but the series is solid for 70's and 80's budget films. Also HM to Terminator.

Is that sarcasm about being glad they didn't try to make a fourth Indiana Jones with an aging Harrison Ford?

upload_2020-5-15_9-53-21.jpeg

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Just finally watched the Godfather ones a couple months ago. Will need time for those to simmer in my conscience and should watch again.

Oddly enough the first thought that came into my head was Hangover. Sad, I know.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Christopher Nolan's Batman Trilogy

Edit: The Cornetto Trilogy is probably my favorite: Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz and The World's End
I've never heard it referred to as the Corneto Trilogy, always the Ice Cream trilogy

I should add I would have to say Back to the Future.

Reactions: Angie

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Just finally watched the Godfather ones a couple months ago. Will need time for those to simmer in my conscience and should watch again.

Oddly enough the first thought that came into my head was Hangover. Sad, I know.
There is absolutely no shame is that.