Friday OT: Rooster or Owl

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Thanks so much to @cyclones500 for today’s topic!

Are you a morning or night person? Has that ever changed throughout your life?

I was definitely a night person up until I was in my late 20s (I know a lot of you aren’t there yet). Then one day I woke up and consistently wake up at dawn left to my own devices ever since. I can push through to about 8:30 if I am overtired or was up late the night before, but am also very productive in the mornings.

My husband is the exact opposite. I know that I can’t ask him anything to which I want a real response until he has had time to wake up fully.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I’m a night person and it’s not even close. But I have also started waking up at the crack of dawn so that has just means I sleep like 4 hours a day.

• Agree
Reactions: GTO, Jdk and Angie

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Always been night. My dad was an early person (military cause) so he would do morning chores/work and I would do work during the night after school and sports. Many times I'm awake at 1-2 and force myself to go to bed.

Reactions: Angie

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
Probably more of a morning person. Similar to Angie, there was a point in my late 20s/early 30s when I would wake up at 6 or 7 on the weekends. Even if I didn't have to.

And these days it's rare I make it past 10 p.m.

• Agree
Reactions: ScottyP and Angie

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I'm both, no problem staying up late or waking up early. Definitely more morning in the spring and summer. Good early mornings will not go to waste!
I do occasionally stay up late - my general time during the week is around 11, 1130. And then I just wake up early. My body doesn’t love not getting seven or more hours of sleep, but that is just also what it does.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Was a morning person most of my life. Had a crap job in grad school I had to show up at 5:00 am, no problem. Got most of what I needed to do for the household done before taking the kids to school. Used to do homework in the morning in high school because I would be too tired at night from basketball or tennis practice.

When I hit about 60, it completely flipped. Struggle to get up in the morning. If it wasn’t for the dog needing out, I would probably sleep until at least 9:00 am. Have a hard time going to sleep at night. Usually just do the Wordle at midnight.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Was night person all my life but that's been slowly transitioning as I age. Love the peace and quiet of being up early as the sun's getting ready to come up. I do still stay up pretty late sometimes on weekends if there's a good boxing match on, those usually run pretty late.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
When I was younger, I was a big night owl and mornings were hard. Now I am both an early riser and a night owl (RIP my sleep). On Fridays and Saturdays, I am usually up until 12:00 or 12:30, and then up in the morning between 4:30 and 5:00. But I do love me a nap during the day, as I am not sure I could function without that.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I've been both. Now I'm neither. In bed by 10 or earlier, alarm is set for 7 am.
Ditto. I can't sleep once the sun comes up really, so I kind of have to be in bed by 11ish. But 7 hours is plenty of sleep for me.

Have to say, best sleep I ever had was post-derecho, when we had no power for 12 days. Basically in bed around 9pm because it got dark and no power for lights to read or TV or anything. Would wake up with no alarm around 430 or 5 when it started getting light out. Just pure natural circadian rhythm, as nature intended. Felt great!

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Been a morning person my whole life. Any more my schedule is basically 4AM to 8PM when I'm not in the field and don't have another obligation. On the weekends it might be 10PM to 6AM on Saturday night into Sunday, unless there's some particular event that runs later.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron