Friday OT #1 - Unchained Melodies

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I had a mutual personality conflict with our church organist and knew that given the chance, she would find a way to screw up our wedding. So we went alternative routes with the music.

It was Christmas time, and our background music while people were gathering was all Mannheim Steamroller.
Lew reserved the right to choose my entrance song, and a friend arranged it for our bell choir. He chose "Special Angel". The bells played while my attendants entered, and then our friend sang the verse as I entered. Lew's one helluva romantic. :D
"I Cross My Heart" by George Strait came out shortly before we started dating, and it was a joke between us (& the kids) that every time it played we would drop what we were doing & slow dance to it. So naturally we used it as "our song" in the wedding while our six kids were passing a wick and lighting candles which we then used to light our tapers and light the unity candle. The kids (ages 12 to 19) were nervous though, and they flew through their part waaaaay faster than the song went. So by the time our soloist (same guy, with his guitar) was singing the first chorus we were done with the candle and back to holding hands and "gazing lovingly at each other". Mostly we were whispering things to each other...like "THIS IS A LOOOOONG SONG" and "WHY DID WE CHOOSE THIS SONG", etc... Fortunately our soloist was a really smart guy, and he skipped the bridge and went directly to the final chorus.
Exit music was the bells again, only with me as the bride, they didn't have enough ringers for the song I wanted...so we taped ourselves playing it at a rehearsal and used that. So I can say with a straight face that I played in the bell choir during the recessional at my own wedding. ;)

We wanted to do a cowboy chacha for our dance, so we chose "I Swear" by John Michael Montgomery. Had to restart it because my train got in our way...so I threw it over my arm so that we didn't trip on it. After the song was over, my #%Y_%Y!@&Y!@ sister ran up to the DJ and grabbed the mike and said "Oh, NO NO NO! That's not THEIR song"...and proceeded to insist that we dance to "I Cross My Heart" (with the full backing of our kids...so we couldn't say no). Did I mention that's a realllllllly long song?

No Daddy-daughter dance because my father DOES NOT DANCE. Period.

Yeah...way too long. Sorry!

Reactions: NWICY and Angie

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I had a mutual personality conflict with our church organist and knew that given the chance, she would find a way to screw up our wedding. So we went alternative routes with the music.

It was Christmas time, and our background music while people were gathering was all Mannheim Steamroller.
Lew reserved the right to choose my entrance song, and a friend arranged it for our bell choir. He chose "Special Angel". The bells played while my attendants entered, and then our friend sang the verse as I entered. Lew's one helluva romantic. :D
"I Cross My Heart" by George Strait came out shortly before we started dating, and it was a joke between us (& the kids) that every time it played we would drop what we were doing & ...
Right there is where I thought it best to stop reading.

:eek:;)

• Funny
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I pushed for this. I didn't get it. :(

That would have been perfect. She comes out to that while you come out to:

Flash! Ah-ah
Savior of the universe

Flash! Ah-ah
He'll save everyone of us

Flash! Ah-ah
He's a miracle

Flash! Ah-ah
King of the impossible

He's for every one of us
Stand for every one of us
He saves with a mighty hand
Every man, every woman
Every child, it's the mighty Flash

And then your mother in law says:

Flash Gordon approaching? What do you mean "Flash Gordon approaching"?

It would have been epic.

Reactions: drlove

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
That would have been perfect. She comes out to that while you come out to:

Flash! Ah-ah
Savior of the universe

Flash! Ah-ah
He'll save everyone of us

Flash! Ah-ah
He's a miracle

Flash! Ah-ah
King of the impossible

He's for every one of us
Stand for every one of us
He saves with a mighty hand
Every man, every woman
Every child, it's the mighty Flash

And then your mother in law says:

Flash Gordon approaching? What do you mean "Flash Gordon approaching"?

It would have been epic.

J-Law in this scene plus 35 years is my mother-in-law...

• Funny
Reactions: VeloClone

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I can't believe you ruined her wedding like that!

;)

Right? I was such a ****! I was the total opposite of a bridezilla, did not have any demands... I just am picky about my music. :shrug:

I can't for the life of me remember what it was - and I'll be damned if I am going to ask her!

Oh, dude, definitely do not ask her. Ever, ever.

• Agree
  • Funny
Reactions: NWICY and VeloClone

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I may be dumb, but I'm not stupid!

I barely remember the date of our anniversary most of the time (Janny is full aware of this), but first dances are sure to get a rise.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I barely remember the date of our anniversary most of the time (Janny is full aware of this), but first dances are sure to get a rise.
Mrs. Velo can never remember which anniversary it is so she always asks me. Of course, that won't get me any points if I was to admit not remembering which song we danced to.

• Agree
Reactions: Angie